New video (CTSW is back in action) from underneath the plane

The CTSW that was damaged is back in action! I haven't flown anything FD in 4 months so I was pretty excited to get back in the seat of one. It got a new engine while it was down and runs really strong.. though it's losing a little oil - you will notice the oil/blurred smudge areas in the video as it got some on my camera. Not losing a lot, but still kind of strange I thought.

Since seeing Andy's belly cam video I wanted to try this. I have an overkill 2 suction cup industrial mount holding a Sony as100v cam (go pro 3+ black basically). Quality took a nose dive after going on youtube (the upload was 14gb, so it was pretty decent before that!). Filmed the 1.5 hour flight and cut it down to 14 minutes... now after looking at it, the video is still too long... so I'm sorry if it gets a little repetitive/long...

The place most of the video takes place is about 5 min from my house, nice area (pretty flat most places around here). And I have scoped it out before, there are no houses, people, power lines etc. around that area so it's fun to play around there. The first scenes looking at my strip that I landed the 750 on go by quick, it's not sped up.. but since I wasn't trying to land I just buzzed through there pretty quick!

Wind has been bad lately, but that evening was nice.. crosswind on take off, little poof hit me right at touch down on the landing, and the first parts of the video it was gusty/bumpy around those hills.. but before I left it got almost calm there which was really nice. Really nice for this time of year though so I'll take it.

EDIT: Cut the video down by 4 min, converted to a diff. format for editing which made the transitions work better... 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_FeawulLds&feature=youtu.be

Very cool video.  Maybe oil is just old drips from all the engine work.  Just a few drops, blown at 100mph, can make it back to the tail.  A tiny bit at the bottom of the cowl (where it all ends up) could easily be the culprit.

Tim

Revised the video, cut it down by 4 min which was needed. Used a different format to edit which helped the transitions and got rid of some weird hiccups. H.264 isn't actually designed for editing, I had to convert the footage to apple pro res (which made it 230gb lol) because that works much better with final cut for editing. Then of convert(compress) back to h.264 for youtube. Fun stuff... takes forever my imac, it's a first gen i7, my main PC is a 3770k at 4.933 GHz- thinking I may need some editing software on the PC to speed up all these conversions etc.

Watch in 1080p of course: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_FeawulLds&feature=youtu.be

Revised the video, cut it down by 4 min which was needed.

Reminds me of a quote: "I would have written a shorter letter, but I did not have the time" - Blaise Pascal

That landing is a great example of holding the nosewheel off. May I ask the flap setting?

Finally, does it look like your nosewheel is rotating in flight, or is that just an artifact? If not sure, a dollop of paint would tell the tale. In general, it should not be rotating, both for smoothness and bearing wear.

But really enjoyed it - especially the choice and timing on the music.

haha, something to that...Thanks Eddie,

That was 15 deg of flaps...

And yes the wheel is turning- I was thinking about that as well... The things you see from underneath! Does seem strange, I was trying to decide with the wheel pant on the wind only hits the lower half of the wheel, if that's somehow related? I wondered if that was normal so I'm glad you said something...

Reminds be of a quote: "I would have written a shorter letter, but I did not have the time" - Blaise Pascal

That landing is a great example of holding the nosewheel off. May I ask the flap setting?

Finally, does it look like your nosewheel is rotating in flight, or is that just an artifact? If not sure, a dollop of paint would tell the tale. In general, it should not be rotating, both for smoothness and bearing wear.

But really enjoyed it - especially the choice and timing on the music.

Bearing wear on a freely rotating wheel? I would have thought that is pretty minimal compared to the bearing being under load?

Certainly on a retractable it is good practice to dab the brakes before retracting to avoid any chance of the wheel scuffing anything in the well.

I think GK has it right, it must be airflow over the part of the wheel that is exposed that causes it to turn.

Eddie, the bearing is not the tapered cone type that you can set the tension on. In fact if the bearing is stiff enough to stop the rotation it needs to be replaced.

I think something people forget is that the CT is not your Dad's airplane. Meaning that things are different both in the way it is built, maintained, and also how it is operated.

Oh, well.

In general, I thought a spinning wheel in flight was to be avoided. They've been traced to unusual vibration in some Cirrus'.

But if it's in balance and can't be adjusted anyway, I guess there's no harm!

Your video looks great.  Nice music, very stable.  It looks like your two suction mount is a bit more solid than my single cup.  I'd like to see some longer sequences, I don't think there was more than 30 seconds on any one cut in your movie, but that's just preference and how you edited it is really good for keeping the interest of the viewer.

In the future another thing to try that I have been meaning to do is to tilt the camera down so you don't get any airplane structure in the frame.  It will give you a more "bird's eye" view that should be pretty dramatic, though at low level like you seem to like the terrain might buzz by too fast to really get a good look.  At least it would show a dramatic sense of speed!

Your video looks great.  Nice music, very stable.  It looks like your two suction mount is a bit more solid than my single cup.  I'd like to see some longer sequences, I don't think there was more than 30 seconds on any one cut in your movie, but that's just preference and how you edited it is really good for keeping the interest of the viewer.

In the future another thing to try that I have been meaning to do is to tilt the camera down so you don't get any airplane structure in the frame.  It will give you a more "bird's eye" view that should be pretty dramatic, though at low level like you seem to like the terrain might buzz by too fast to really get a good look.  At least it would show a dramatic sense of speed!

Thanks Andy,

Yea I did keep everything pretty short, I was concerned with viewers getting bored (since most of the video was shot in the same area). But I appreciate you posting that.

I agree with the camera view, I think that would make for an interesting view but as you said would require a little higher level of flight. I may have a great opportunity to try that out soon. A friend and myself are planning to take a flight in the mountains where a group of us go camping every year. It's an absolutely beautiful place half way up a pass. Because of the nature of the terrain, we won't be flying super low anyway so this view would be much better.

I agree with the camera view, I think that would make for an interesting view but as you said would require a little higher level of flight. I may have a great opportunity to try that out soon. A friend and myself are planning to take a flight in the mountains where a group of us go camping every year. It's an absolutely beautiful place half way up a pass. Because of the nature of the terrain, we won't be flying super low anyway so this view would be much better.

I think if you started in at a higher level, then descended to a low level to get the ground rushing past, and finally climbed back up again, it would look pretty amazing.

Also, I did not get any oil on my camera (or are they bugs?), but I think mine was mounted farther to the rear...it was far enough back that my shot got the main gear legs and wheels (using the medium wide setting on a GoPro).  IIRC, I mounted it behind the static port.  Mounting a little more to the rear might help if the tiny smudges really are oil.

I think if you started in at a higher level, then descended to a low level to get the ground rushing past, and finally climbed back up again, it would look pretty amazing.

Also, I did not get any oil on my camera (or are they bugs?), but I think mine was mounted farther to the rear...it was far enough back that my shot got the main gear legs and wheels (using the medium wide setting on a GoPro).  IIRC, I mounted it behind the static port.  Mounting a little more to the rear might help if the tiny smudges really are oil.

That would be pretty sweet!

Yea it was oil, I wiped it off with a rag after removing the camera. It only takes a tiny bit of oil to smudge up that tiny lens though.. (there was very little oil in the grand scheme of things, though I sitll don't like that it's losing some)

Only issue with this double suction mount is that the surface has to be basically straight and matching under both cups. Where as with this mount: http://www.ebay.com/itm/140963016778?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649 You can adjust each to fit the surface below which is really cool. I'm going to try mounting it further back though for sure.

• 2 months later...

Archived