Lawsuit is over!

CT4ME

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I stick the tasks before the first flight every time I fly. You can read in the NTSB reports how many pilots force land (or worse) with an engine out. They either thought they knew, or they just "looked." The Dynon does no good if you don't enter the amount, or, if you enter the wrong amount, or, if the fuel flow indicator stops working.

. . . "The Dynon Skyviews has a fuel computer function and provides realtime fuel burn during flight.  After dipping the tanks the qty can be entered as the initial fuel qty and it will compute fuel remaining based on burn. 

I dip the tanks and enter the fuel qty into the fuel computer before any long range trip (50nm or more)." . . .

You posted on this forum (using a different name), that following a cross country flight, you landed with only 1 gallon left in your header tank.

If what you said above is true, please explain how in the world that could have happened.

I almost never take-off with less than full tanks.  I start thinking about landing at 1/2 tanks.  I fly 2 hour legs.  I never stick the tanks because the planes I fly have tab indicators in the tanks.

I would do that to, if I were flying a Skycatcher. I rarely fly with much more than half in my CT. With 1/2 fuel the CT matchs pretty close to the Skycatcher in cruising range with 30 minute reserve. I will top it off if I am going on a longer trip and I don't want pick up fuel along the way.

I would do that to, if I were flying a Skycatcher. I rarely fly with much more than half in my CT. With 1/2 fuel the CT matchs pretty close to the Skycatcher in cruising range with 30 minute reserve. I will top it off if I am going on a longer trip and I don't want pick up fuel along the way.

I agree.  I fill up if I'm going on a long trip, otherwise I usually take off with around 20 gallons.  That's 3-4 hours of flying at least, which is more than sufficient margins for the 45-60 minute flights I usually make.  I don't take off with less than 12-15 gallons, even if just buzzing the pattern for a half hour.   

Eddie, I like the small piece of float in the fuel sight tube.  Would like to find a small RED ball that I could put in my sight tubes for this.  The fuel tank nipples at each end at smaller diameter of the sight tube and these would prevent the ball from entering the fuel tank.  Of course, this is something to put on my "experimental only" check list!  :-)

You'll remember that you measure the specific gravity, and by reference the charge, of a battery with a hydrometer with several colored balls that float at different specific gravities.

You'd want one that worked the same in both 100LL and Mogas and even Mogas w/ethanol.

The ball would have to be stable and not break down in any of those environments. It would have to not hang up in the tube but not pass out of the tube. It would need to be able to sit for long times, deal with turbulence and everything else one could imagine in flight or on the ground.

Benson's Eight Law: "Never throw anything away! Ever!"

17047260448_36a74a8cd3_z.jpg

If anyone wants a little piece of the float material, email me and I'll hack off a piece and get it on the way. Just have to whittle it down to the right size and you're good to go.

Disclaimer: At your own risk, and if not Experimental may require an LOA or other legal nicety if you worry about that sort of thing. 

This has been discussed a couple of times in years past about putting a float in the sight tube.

While you explore this remember the sight tube after it gets bent is no longer round in its interior. It takes an ever so slight oval shape due to the flex which makes the ID even smaller. So the material you used will have to be pretty small and now may be small enough to be a problem.

http://www.univair.com/piper/piper-pa-11/view-all/u10853-000-piper-fuel-gauge-float-ball/

This will work in the CT. It is large enough that it won't go through the nipples, but small enough to roll through the tube. The one thing you need to be careful of is to not kink or get a sharp bend in the tubing. That can sometimes happen if you don't have the tube cut to exactly the right length.

http://www.univair.com/piper/piper-pa-11/view-all/u10853-000-piper-fuel-gauge-float-ball/

This will work in the CT. It is large enough that it won't go through the nipples, but small enough to roll through the tube. The one thing you need to be careful of is to not kink or get a sharp bend in the tubing. That can sometimes happen if you don't have the tube cut to exactly the right length.

Roger,

Will this work with the tubing you install?

If you put a ball that floats and is too big to exit the tube what happens when you have full tanks?  Does the ball float to the top and attempt to seal the opening?

I would think so, but it's a non-issue since when the fuel level dropped below the top of the tube the ball would be be free to travel downward again.

The only issue would be if the ball just just the right size to wedge itself in the top nipple and then not come back down.

I would think so, but it's a non-issue since when the fuel level dropped below the top of the tube the ball would be be free to travel downward again.

The only issue would be if the ball just just the right size to wedge itself in the top nipple and then not come back down.

The size doesn't let them wedge in place. I purchased 3 of these balls one time. One is here in a desk drawer, and was used for a mockup to see if it would work. The other two shall we say are floating around out there somewhere, at least they were at one time.

• 1 month later...

Archived