Companies Mining FAA Info

FlyingMonkey

Okay, this corporate data mining is getting creepy. I just registered with FedEx so I could have them hold a package for me. Then they started asking me questions to "validate my identity." One of the questions:

"Select the number of seats in your registered aircraft with identification number 509CT." 

WTF?!?  If I had been a identity thief, FedEx would have just given me another person's N-number.  What does FAA data have to do with delivering packages?

Okay, this corporate data mining is getting creepy. I just registered with FedEx so I could have them hold a package for me. Then they started asking me questions to "validate my identity." One of the questions:"Select the number of seats in your registered aircraft with identification number 509CT." 

WTF?!?  If I had been a identity thief, FedEx would have just given me another person's N-number.  What does FAA data have to do with delivering packages?

Kind if defeats the purpose of the security question since it's very easy to find out the answer to the the number of seats question. Much better security to go with questions like who was your 3rd grade teacher.

Archived