Alaska 2014

Farmer

Airport manger says give prop a pull and it will start, "Always works here in Nome" he said. I on the other hand I am looking for soft ground, always best to bury the dead.

Look on bright side Michelle at lunch wagon is having chicken and spinach tomorrow. Today was bean soup "store was out of meat", I liked the beans soup.

It could be worse, it could be snowing sideways in the dark. Weather very nice mid 60's. I expect aircraft to relent and start when weather goes low IFR.

Farmer

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Although not flying there are Alaskan stories on the ground as well. 

For example Larry has befriended a bear - Pict one- that the boys at the local airport erected to scare away the Muskox - picture 2.  They could have put some money into their windsock - pict 3 but elected not too.  Note, the Muskox are living alongside the runway this very day, quite unafraid.

Also watching local miner pan gold from beach.  Seems pretty easy so am taking some of the sand home for "panning party".post-648-0-28053000-1404858762_thumb.jpgpost-648-0-73630000-1404858842_thumb.jpgpost-648-0-32380400-1404858901_thumb.jpgpost-648-0-48521100-1404859259_thumb.jpg

If you have a brave soul... (this is 80HP, with no clutch.  But he thinks it might work on 100)

I'm a little doubtful if that would work well on a ULS or iS because of the higher compression.  You'd have to pull *really* hard, and would have to be very careful not to off balance yourself into the prop arc.  That said, if I was really stuck I'd probably try it.  

A poem from Nome

Stranded in Nome is a pain

Scheduled is gone, no hurry

Now it is starting to rain

Something crossing tundra that's furry

BEAR with me we we just informed no extension on room must sleep in tent outside tomorrow night.

No UPS in this area of Alaska.

Possible offending part is in Europe, we hope. Support is still strong and they working hard. We are looking under every rock for A & P

Updates as we get them!

Farmer

with a 1 blade prop you have more time to get your hands out of the way.

with a 2 blade prop you have more time, compared to a 3 blade prop to get your hands out of the way

with a 3 blade prop you ...

Can you not hand prop a three blade?  You are only pulling it through about 60 degrees anyway...

The ball is in Germany's court again.  Slow progress as by the time we answer their question each day, they are sleeping again with the 10 hour time change.

We are told there is no more room at the Hotel so will be moving in with Bill, a local, today.  Will have more on that later but I liked him right off.  He has an eight foot Mammoth Tusk in his living room.

If we wear out our welcome with Bill then it will be back to the tents.  Pict.  That may not be a great option though as a bear was chasing two moose across the runway just a couple days ago.post-648-0-22800100-1405008784_thumb.jpg

When I lived in Alaska we used to tell the girls in the lower 48, " If you want to find a guy come to Alaska where the odds are good, but the goods are a little odd".

That can be shown in the following picture where "Red Velvet" has been a pet to the owner for 13 years and goes everywhere just like a dog.  Pict.post-648-0-96521500-1405009283_thumb.jpg

So yesterday I bought the t-shirt "There's no place like Nome" Perhaps I've been here too long already.

Oh Oh

Tomorrow I should receive my first piece of snail mail, general delivery, at local Postoffice. Met nice men at Bering Air local airline. Ben the shop manager came here twenty years ago and stayed. Tom in parts makes 30 years next week and owner of 40 years was just on a trip with his friend in a Cessna 195 from California. They landed here on way to Barrow and never moved on. Owner of airport pizza just made 20 years. Jim on barge used to live in Hawaii, but likes 7 months of winter when they shut down. Many people travel to lower 48 with Las Vegas high on their list.

Met ex gold dredge owner yesterday. Sold dredge this year but worked the 60 day season for five years. His best year he actually broke even.

Wife is becoming a little nervous. WHY am I so calm about this? Little choice, waiting for better day to report on CTLSi as thought about kicking tire yesterday.

Farmer

Farmer, kudos on your amazing laid back attitude.  You are on the top of the list for the annual MAD Magazine Alfred E. Newman award  ("What, me worry?").  Too cold to grow weed up there.......hmmmmmmm.  With your cool attitude, you might be a candidate for the first 3 year trip to Mars. 

Farmer, kudos on your amazing laid back attitude.  You are on the top of the list for the annual MAD Magazine Alfred E. Newman award  ("What, me worry?").  Too cold to grow weed up there.......hmmmmmmm.  With your cool attitude, you might be a candidate for the first 3 year trip to Mars. 

I was turned down for trip to Mars, not sure if age or attitude I of course wanted to be Captain.

We are trying to get to Stanwood, Michigan and then Air Venture later in month, still can do.   More nice people in Nome everyday, waitress now responds to give me a regular, and I am becoming friends with owner.  Walk-in reefer broke down yesterday, may help with repair, need to solder line and add freon.  Looking for job in mine, no luck so far, will work for free is suspect by locals.

Attitude may result from not coming into work which is my normal day.  We now know what is wrong with airplane, and can almost see spare parts by looking over North Pole to Europe.  Got to go,  fish are biting.

Farmer

Vacation must go on.

We have abandon both aircraft in Nome. When we are certain about repair parts, in hand, we will return and find someone to help install and test. We understand no repair parts in USA at this time, hopefully parts in route, but will take several days more. Everyone still trying to help. Remember this airplane has less than 100 hours TT and I understood risk of low hour machine to this remote area.

Alaska Airlines to Anchorage (check spot) today. Now we explore with an Avis, visiting friends and fishing pictures tomorrow, I hope.

Yes we are still having fun. The alternate plan would be go home to work. Live life fully everyday.

Farmer

Did you disconnect both battery terminals then reconnect

Recently my 2011 Ford Edge went dead. Battery was good. But no juice was getting out. Was told to reboot it. Like a laptop. I thought the guy telling me this was nuts. But, it worked and has been fine since.

Did you disconnect both battery terminals then reconnect

Recently my 2011 Ford Edge went dead. Battery was good. But no juice was getting out. Was told to reboot it. Like a laptop. I thought the guy telling me this was nuts. But, it worked and has been fine since.

John,

We have isolated to what we think, the problem part is.  It was shipped from Germany last week.  Hoping to get fixed by Wed to Fri this week.  Possible second part from KVGT may be available this week as well.

The battery has always been good.  We have good multiple starts on the battery during the trouble shooting process.

Fishing good at the Kenai river.post-648-0-70493400-1405298047_thumb.jpg

Sorry guys, that just stinks to have to leave your birds in the frozen north lands while waiting for parts.  But that's Alaska I guess...tough on machines, and when they break the parts are not readily at hand.  Good luck with the recovery operation when it gets underway once the parts arrive.  Are you going to pick up with more adventure flying at that point, or just make a beeline for home?  

We are just getting started. Check spot, we have dropped back about forty knots, but we are still covering ground. Good Fishing last couple day in Kenai River, limit catch of reds and today up to Talkeetna Alaska to check out town and watch aircraft tours to Denali. Drove 500 miles last three days, good roads fast traffic. Still planning on AirVenture at OSH.

Farmer

Can't get pictures like this while flying so being grounded isn't all bad.post-648-0-04278400-1405399939_thumb.jpgpost-648-0-18723000-1405400081_thumb.jpgpost-648-0-94805300-1405400192_thumb.jpg

UPS tracking indicates needed part  for 413L will be in Anchorage tomorrow.  Weather also shows Nome airport below Alaska Airlines minimums.  The beat goes on.

Note the buckets full of fish.  Those Red's were really fun to catch.

Archived