For those of you looking to do their own maintenance and inspections out near the East coast, check out Blue Ridge Community College in Weyers Cave, VA. They are not as well known as some of the others since they do not advertise but, I highly recommend them. They also offer the Rotax service and maintenance classes (taught by Dean Vogel from Lockwood) as well as a full time A&P program. If you live in Virginia the 3 week LSRM class is practically free and very reasonable for out of staters. If you have been thinking about taking this course, check it out.

http://community.brcc.edu/aviation/index.php/light-sport/

• 10 months later...

For anyone interested in completing the 3 week LSRM near Virginia, the June class still has openings.  They also have some of the Rotax classes around the same time.

I am contacting all former students of our LSA class in an effort to reach out at the grassroots level and get the word out about our program. We still have several seats available and if you know anyone who may be interested, please refer them to me or our website: http://community.brcc.edu/aviation/index.php/light-sport/

Classes start the 8th of June.

For anyone interested in completing the 3 week LSRM near Virginia, the June class still has openings.  They also have some of the Rotax classes around the same time.

I am contacting all former students of our LSA class in an effort to reach out at the grassroots level and get the word out about our program. We still have several seats available and if you know anyone who may be interested, please refer them to me or our website: http://community.brcc.edu/aviation/index.php/light-sport/

Classes start the 8th of June.

Am I reading that right, the 120hr LSRM course for ~$1775?  If so that is a great deal!

• 1 year later...

Blue Ridge Community College schedules this class for June each year. The class was cancelled last month due to low enrollment. A friend and I want to attend next year. I'm hoping that with the two of us plus the people that were scheduled for last month, the minimum class size will be met. Anyone else interested? It a great deal and close for those on the east coast.

I highly recommend this course. It is not very well known which is a real shame since the location may be attractive to many and the price even more so. A little bit marketing on the part of the college would have this class booked every year.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Folks,

I just spoke with Tip over the phone in regards to our LSRM-A program and this year's tentative dates are 12 through 30 June.

In the past we have also had Rotax Service/Maintenance training held the week before LSRM. This year we have tentatively scheduled the Rotax class for 6-9 June and it is taught by Dean Vogel from Lockwood Aviation. 

The links that BravoFoxtrot provided in a post above (and included below for redundancy) are active and in the process of being updated for 2017. 

https://sites.google...nce/light-sport

https://www.brcc.edu...craft-mechanic/

It would be extremely beneficial for anyone wishing (or even thinking) of attending the class to register now. It costs nothing and helps to cut some of the administrative work prior to the start date. Please call 540-453-2224 or contact Melissa McElveen McElveenM@brcc.edu to register.

Classes are taught on the main campus and labs are held at our AMT hangar located at the Shenandoah Regional Airport (SHD). Hangar availability is almost non-existent, but there is normally plenty of tie down spots available if you wish to fly in. 

For further information or questions please feel free to contact me and be sure to share this with your friends!! 

Keith Dennis

Instructional Assistant – AMT Program

Blue Ridge Community College

43 Aviation Circle, Suite 101

Hangar 4 East

Weyers Cave, VA 24486

Office (540) 453-2508

dennisk@brcc.edu

• 2 months later...

Hi Folks,

I just spoke with Tip over the phone in regards to our LSRM-A program and this year's tentative dates are 12 through 30 June.

In the past we have also had Rotax Service/Maintenance training held the week before LSRM. This year we have tentatively scheduled the Rotax class for 6-9 June and it is taught by Dean Vogel from Lockwood Aviation. 

The links that BravoFoxtrot provided in a post above (and included below for redundancy) are active and in the process of being updated for 2017. 

https://sites.google...nce/light-sport

https://www.brcc.edu...craft-mechanic/

It would be extremely beneficial for anyone wishing (or even thinking) of attending the class to register now. It costs nothing and helps to cut some of the administrative work prior to the start date. Please call 540-453-2224 or contact Melissa McElveen McElveenM@brcc.edu to register.

Classes are taught on the main campus and labs are held at our AMT hangar located at the Shenandoah Regional Airport (SHD). Hangar availability is almost non-existent, but there is normally plenty of tie down spots available if you wish to fly in. 

For further information or questions please feel free to contact me and be sure to share this with your friends!! 

Keith Dennis

Hangar 4 East

Weyers Cave, VA 24486

Office (540) 453-2508

dennisk@brcc.edu

UPDATE: Blue Ridge Community College (Weyers Cave, VA) will be offering the Light Sport Repairman course this summer and is scheduled from 12-30 June 2017. 

Registration will be held from March 20th – April 22nd, but feel to call for details or to have your name placed on the list so we can gauge interest.

General information is located at https://sites.google.com/a/email.vccs.e ... ight-sport

Classes are taught at the Weyers Cave campus and labs are held at our AMT hangar located at the Shenandoah Regional Airport (SHD). 

Additionally, we will offer courses in Rotax Service and Maintenance for 9-Series this summer. The Service Class will be held 6-7 June 2017 and the Maintenance Class will be held 8-9 June 2017. The classes are taught by Dean Vogel from Lockwood Aviation. http://training.lockwood.aero/

Please call 540-453-2372 to register for Rotax Service/Maintenance classes or use the links to sign up online:

- Rotax Service Training (https://brcc.augusoft.net/index.cfm?met ... talog_id=0)

- Rotax Maintenance Training (https://brcc.augusoft.net/index.cfm?met ... talog_id=0)

Note: the Service Training class is a prerequisite to take the Maintenance Training class.

We have a maximum of 16 seats in the Service class and 12 seats in the Maintenance class. 

For further information or questions please feel free to contact me.

Keith Dennis

Hangar 4 East

Weyers Cave, VA 24486

Office (540) 453-2508

dennisk@brcc.edu

We're starting to get more phone calls as the days go by. I'll be out of the office for the rest of the week, but feel free to call 540-453-2306 and speak to Fred if you have any questions regarding course content. 

We have seats for 25 people! :clap-3332:

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I just finished up the LRSM-A class yesterday. Blue Ridge Community College provided an excellent program. Fred Dyen, instructor, and Keith Dennis, instructional assistant,  went above and beyond!

• 2 weeks later...

She has already blocked the time period from 5-30 June 2018 for our students and will keep it open until 30 days prior (4 May 2018). This is a good deal for a couple of guys if they intend to take the Rotax and LSARM classes. 

• 5 weeks later...

So, after you folks gave this class, I got a very confused and concerned phone call from a participant of your latest class saying his S-LSA is "illegal" and he doesn't know what to do.  The aircraft is currently within condition inspection.  He took the LSRM class and all available Rotax classes available at this past session.  I finally got to talk to him today about the teachings of your class. 

Just who is teaching these classes?

The recent student is older and doesn't know too much about aviation regulation in regards to maintenance.  This was his first introduction.  He doesn't have access to the internet.  (I'm not sure if he even has a computer).  One of your instructors incorrectly stated that his S-LSA was illegal and the person who last signed off on it could go to jail!!  Why?  Because the propeller is over 5 years old.  It's in otherwise perfect condition.  Your instructor suggested to contact the factory and he would have to get a ferry permit.  This guy gets fixated on the concept and is freaked out about this!

Here's the problem ---  The instructor is spewing BS!  Why is someone allowed to teach if they don't know the subject?  I refer you to the FAA letter Charles Willette - Dodge Center Aviation.  Time limits are NOT mandatory.  You can inspect on condition.

This makes be wonder what else wasn't taught, or taught incorrectly.  Was other alternative that is acceptable to the FAA ever taught?  Did the teacher even talk about AC 43-13?  I sure hope everyone in that class didn't leave with a whole bunch of misinformation.  I'm sorry this post is blunt, but having someone in a teaching/authority position telling others misinformation is absolutely unacceptable. 

To be clear, I've never touched this guy's LSA.  I just know him and I was the one who suggested he go to your class.  Now I feel I made a huge mistake suggesting it. 

willette-dodgecenteraviation - (2013) legal interpretation.pdf

N456TS, there is a more recent legal interpretation,  https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/agc/pol_adjudication/agc200/interpretations/data/interps/2015/Keller - (2015) Legal Interpretation.pdf that contradicts the one you posted. Several people including some within the FAA think the second interpretation is incorrect and will be retracted. However it has been 2 years since it was written and no action yet that I am aware of. Based on the more recent interpretation from the FAA I don't think I would jump on the instructor like you did. Until there is further clarification what he taught goes along with what FAA legal said.

Please don't confuse what I am saying as me saying what he taught is right, or that I agree with the most recent interpretation.

I'm not a lawyer, but having two opposite interpretations with no changes in the FARs in-between leaves zero interpretation.  I understand someone has already requested additional clarification.  That takes years to get.  Considering this is STANDARD PRACTICE, the first letter is and will be considered to be correct.  In a real legal battle, should one arise, these FAA-legal letters are just the first step. 

He has already contacted the factory and they also agreed that he was taught incorrectly and there is nothing to worry about. 

BRCC, I guess you're not going to correct you're teachers?????????  Absolutely shameful!  You're class should be audited by the FAA. 

Both letters of interpretation were discussed at length during the class. 

The FAA does audit our class. POC is Edsel Ford and the prop question was posed to him while he was here.

There is a lot of material covered in the three week class and based on the individual's minimal experience, knowledge and non-existent rudimentary computer skills, it's not surprising he called you in a "concerned and confused" state of mind. What is surprising is that you ASSUME an awful lot for not having attended the course to hear what was actually taught. My name and contact information is clearly posted above, but you never even extended the professional courtesy of contacting us to discuss the issue and receive an explanation that would clarify matters. :confused-3316:

We are free to disagree and doing so in a polite and cordial manner will make for a more pleasant exchange of ideas and opinions.

"BRCC, I guess you're not going to correct you're teachers?????????  Absolutely shameful!  You're class should be audited by the FAA."

Have a nice day.