I attended this course several years ago. I found the instructors to be very informed, professional and dedicated to their students. We were given ample opportunity to discuss issues with them and I found them open to updating their information if something new was available. At no point did I feel they were giving an absolute "This is the way it is and will never change" position. What I got is that it is your responsibility to learn what is needed to both be safe and legal. They provided sources we would need to go to find the information to make the best decision to meet those ends. As you read through this site you will find many instances where there are different interpretations of "the right way" to do things. It is up to us as repairmen, owners, and pilots to ask questions and learn what is needed. As Keith says in the posting above "We are free to disagree and doing so in a polite and cordial manner will make for a more pleasant exchange of ideas and opinions." 

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

I really want to take this course, but alas, I live in the ONE state that can't isn't allowed to take it (Kalifornia)... Because of a "gray area" about out-of-state distance learning.

Hopefully the grey area is clarified and the issue is resolved and BRCC are able to accept students from Kalifornia.

Jonathan
ctflier.a518b0@nicoric.com

Here's another option for both classes, Rainbow Aviation – The Light Sport Professionals

Not sure if you're seeking the 2-day or 3 week class.  If two days, and there are enough people in CA to fill a class (~15), they may add CA location.  I arranged to have them come to MI for a class in 2020.  All it takes is an EAA chapter who can host the class, typically in a hanger at an airport, and an opening with instructor.  I believe they moved out of CA just a couple years back.

Second, curious what is the fine or penalty CA imposes on the residents for this.  Michigan governor made a lot of headlines on executive orders, fortunately we reeled her in removing that power, and things have been what I'd say is normal life the past 6+ months.

• 1 month later...
On 1/8/2022 at 3:08 AM, GrassStripFlyBoy said:

Here's another option for both classes, Rainbow Aviation – The Light Sport Professionals

Not sure if you're seeking the 2-day or 3 week class.  If two days, and there are enough people in CA to fill a class (~15), they may add CA location.  I arranged to have them come to MI for a class in 2020.  All it takes is an EAA chapter who can host the class, typically in a hanger at an airport, and an opening with instructor.  I believe they moved out of CA just a couple years back.

Second, curious what is the fine or penalty CA imposes on the residents for this.  Michigan governor made a lot of headlines on executive orders, fortunately we reeled her in removing that power, and things have been what I'd say is normal life the past 6+ months.

Hi Darrell,

There isn't a "fine" per se. There is this thing called SARA, and it's National Council that establishes policies for distance education programs. All states that are signed into the SARA program have established an agreement to administer their distance learning programs, this way, there is one clear SOP on which state will be responsible for what. California refuses to participate in SARA because their fear is that students wouldn't be adequately protected from predatory practices from for-profit institutions of higher learning. Racking up an insane amout of debt for a degree that make false expectations of potential employee is a worthy goal, but now it blocks someone like me from taking the course.

Without a reciprocity agreement, Blue Ridge Community College won't enroll me. I sought further clarification from the California Department of Consumer Affairs and they turned me over to the California Bureau for Private Postsecondary Education. CBPPE said that there are no restrictions against non-profit and public institutions, and only for-profit insitutions would be required to register with the state before conducting business. However, because the reciprocity doesn't exist, BRCC has stated that there isn't enough staffing to deal with the intricacies of enrolling CA students despite being exempt from CBPPE registration requirements.

I am well aware of Rainbow Aviation's program, but the difference is this:

Rainbow Aviation: $4500 - 15 days
Blue Ridge Community College: $1650 - 6 months online didactic & 3 day hands-on portion

It's so much easier for me to take a long weekend off work to do the hands-on portion versus taking 2 weeks off, and there would be substantially less expenses for lodging with the latter. I know some folks are concerned with only 3 days of hands-on experience, but I used to be a UH-60 mechanic in the Army a few years ago.

Another frustrating piece of all of this is I just moved from Virginia to California last year to help take care of my grandmother who has Alzheimer's. I don't intend on staying in California forever, and I do want to move back east, but since I did intend to work while here in California, I had to surrender my Virginia residency. At this point, it's just more a slap on the face that I can't register for this course, and the only recourse for me to to spend thousands more simply because of where I live.

Jonathan

Hi Jonathan:

I started this course last month and dropped it for a full refund during the second week. Online learning is not for me and I do not think this course can provide much hands on training in 3 days. I had already taken the 2 day course from Rainbow so I can do my own inspections on my CTSW ELSA. I guess it depends what your goals are. If you really want to do maintenance work on other SLSA's for hire this might be the course for you. If that is the case I would think the Rainbow class would be the direction to go as I think they do much more hands on training than BRCC at least until BRCC resumes in person training. I think Rainbow continued in person training through out Covid. 

I opted to take the 4 day course at Lockwood on the Rotax 912 later this month . I only want to gain maintenance proficiency on my CTSW and the Rotax 912. 

Best wishes for your grandmother. 

Best,

Ken

I was wondering about taking a class like this myself but then I keep wondering … you generally don’t truly learn stuff in a school , you really learn and become good at it while doing it over and over again, whatever it is that you are trying to master …. so it makes sense for somebody like Tom or Roger who end up doing dozen or more annual inspections every year but for me … with just one annual every 12 months , it is just enough time to forget everything  🙂