Minimum BRS-viable altitude?

AZAV8OR

I am just short of moving into the FD world from the Cirrus world. I've been looking for information regarding the minumum safe altitude at which BRS becomes viable, but the POH is silent on that datapoint.

With my Cirrus, I have a 500AGL "Flaps and CAPS" callout: flaps up, chute viable.

What's the common wisdom for a min altitude SAFE BRS deployment?

Thanks!

:D

Talking directly with BRS that's true, but saves have been done under that down to 100'. I have had the pleasure of talking with them several times and they are always willing to spend time on the phone to answer questions. It just isn't advertised. But you better be fast and don't hesitate. You need full cord stretch, inflation and then speed reduction before impact. Even if you hit harder than 20 mph you should live and that would be better than the alternative since you decided to pull the cute you must have figured you were done. The lighter and smaller has a better chance at low altitude verses and large heavy craft like a Cirrus or larger. Estimated ground contact speed is approximately 20 mph. Very survivable and one you can walk away from.

"What's the common wisdom for a min altitude SAFE BRS deployment?"

One of the best ways to have the best answer for a question is to redefine the question to fit the answer one prefers.

Minimum safe altitude is not talking about "something is better than nothing". It's talking about an expected outcome that corresponds to what BRS advertises.

If you want to base your decision on what the company says, then Roger is probably right that you should contact the company directly. Second hand accounts will not satisfy your curiosity as well as your personal, direct contact.

I didn't see anything on the BRS website that answered the question any better than the FAQ I quoted. If you find something in writing that can be cited, I'd appreciate it if you'd post it.

I'll be in OSH this year and will be sure to ask your question and see if I can get a published reference when I visit the BRS booth.

I get many answers from the behind the scenes never to be published secret society. When you deal with these people on a regular basis and get to be friends then additional info can be had, but not to the general public. Most MFG's will put in writing what they want to be held liable for and not for public publication. Safety margins are easier to defend in court..

To pull or not to pull is a question, but embedded in the standard emergency sequence of GGG...

G = glide, set for best glide first (then put in 121.5 and 777, then do a mayday call)

G = grass, look for a spot to do an emergency landing or set down (or decide to pull: shut off ignition, fuel and open doors)

G = gas, if you decided to land you may have time to try to restart the engine. If the chute is out, don't bother.

If you are stalling on base to final, none of this matters anyway.  None of the above applies.

If I loose my engine the first thing I will do is trim fro best glide.  Talking and squawking can wait, I'm going to fly the plane and decide on a landing approach next.

What good is best glide speed if its not on a heading that will get you to a field?

p.s.

Kevin is now the proud owner of a 2012 CTLS with 10" Skyviews, Garmin 796 and AP.

He'll be based out of Chandler, AZ

Welcome aboard, Kevin

I just posted the adoption annoucement in my "Wanted to Buy" posting.

To all that have responded to my posts: thank you for the warm welcome!

Hello 100Hamburger ,

How does the 796 come out? I've not seen my airplane yet, but I assumed I'd have to remove the metal panel it's mounted in to get to the back.

Thanks!

There is a 3mm hex midway up on the right side of the installation.  Just turn it clockwise a quarter turn and pull out the right side first.  The antenna connection is located on the upper left side

and requires minimum effort to rotate out.  Reverse procedure to reinstall.

There is a 3mm hex midway up on the right side of the installation.  Just turn it clockwise a quarter turn and pull out the right side first.  The antenna connection is located on the upper left side

and requires minimum effort to rotate out.  Reverse procedure to reinstall.

Duane,

Thanks. It make more sense now. It was also be easier to put on the screen protector I ordered when it's laying down.

Archived