Service Ceiling

Olarry

18K+. I know for a fact, but that also depends a little on the prop pitch.

Olarry,

Service ceiling is more a defined performance parameter - 100 fpm climb at max gross at fwd CG on a standard day.

Your question seems to be asking about absolute ceiling, which I think is what Roger is responding to.

Olarry,

Service ceiling is more a defined performance parameter - 100 fpm climb at max gross at fwd CG on a standard day.

Your question seems to be asking about absolute ceiling, which I think is what Roger is responding to.

When you start talking the flight levels in a CT you are going past absolute ceiling in into the realm of wave soaring.

I was looking for a ballpark number the aircraft is capable of. Doesn't matter to me what you call it, point is, it will go much higher than we should go without oxygen.

Also curious if the fuel injected version would show any difference.

Doesn't matter to me what you call it...

I do not know your level of experience, and don't want to come across as preachy, but...

...in aviation, correct terminology really helps with communication.

Imprecise terminology can lead to confusion, and can even be hazardous in some cases.

Rotax states 16K, FD 14K. but rarely is a published POH limit the aircraft's or engine limit. I remember when an Ultralight back in the 80's set a 27+K recorded. I have a friend who just went to 18K (talked to him last night)  in a CTSW (has done it a few times) and took approx. 45 min. Climb is slow up there, but it does climb. He has a special purpose for that altitude. Enough said.

Rotax states 16K, FD 14K. but rarely is a published POH limit the aircraft's or engine limit.

True.

But for others, its best to remember that if its published under "Limitations", its a legal limit.

For the non-turbo Cirrus, for example, 17,500' is published as a "Maximum Operating Altitude" under "Limitations".

The plane is still climbing well at that altitude, but that's irrelevant - if Cirrus did not certify it for higher, that's a hard limit.

And there may be good reasons. For one, unpressurized mags can begin to miss. ROTAX's don't have that issue, but may have others. In any case ROTAX simply may have only tested to 16,000' for whatever reason. Beyond that, a pilot puts on his or her "test pilot hat".

The CTLS and CTLSi service ceiling at MTOW is density altitude 12,150 (POH 2.9).  The absolute ceiling (or max operating altitude) is density altitude 13,780.

At service ceiling climb is reduced to 100fpm.  At absolute it's zero.

Is "(or max operating altitude)" from the POH or did you add it?  Absolute ceiling without it would not be a hard limit where max operating altitude ( under limitations heading ) would.  At least that would be my interpretation.

Don't mean to come across as a SA but again I was only looking for a ballpark number as I couldn't find it anywhere.

I agree on proper communication and terminology and above all, flying safe.

As far as experience, I have a current medical, Instument rating, 4000 plus hours, never an accident or incident and currently fly and own a twin Cessna 340, A Schweizer 300C helicopter, an experimental Aeroprakt A 20 Varlet with a Rotax 912 that I built 10 years ago and recently took delivery of a new Flight Design CTLSi Jubilee edition.

Interesting information - does the FAA put any altitude restrictions on aircraft when using MOGAS?

Over here in the UK there is a blanket restriction of 6,000' imposed by our Civil Aviation Authority - this document explains why:

www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/20120117SSL04.pdf

I have happily cruised along at FL90 but of course I'm sure I had some AVGAS in the tanks

Archived