Service Ceiling

Olarry

I bet none of you knew that Shakespeare was a pilot.

When they told Hamlet about the 6,000' restriction with Mogas this is what he said

And to the manner born, it is a custom
More honor'd in the breach than the observance,

Hamlet Act 1, scene 4, 7–16

And he happily flew his CT at FL100 over Elsinore!!

The CTSW I fly, will go higher than you are allowed to go with oxygen, and quite a bit higher than the service ceiling when everything is working for you - or so I was told ;)

The CTLS's I fly, with 2 passengers, ~20+ gal fuel, struggle to break 13-13.5k. Obviously running them lighter would help out a lot. But the SW always edges them out - even after they took a little pitch out of one of the LS's prop, it's still gets womped by the SW.

It was my double super secret world record attempt and I fell short.  :P (N525AB = Roger)

Help from Tim (CT4ME) as mission control via Ipad.

That picture is posted at Ryan Airfield in Todd's Restaurant. 

I know, I know someone is going to get upset I was a little over my 10K.

Have you tried the LSs that high with 0 degrees flaps? When asked by ATC to go to 13.5 once, dropping back to 0 gave me the needed lift.

Tried everything short of throwing out baggage haha. I don't bother with -6 in the mountains, I've tried 15 and I'm not sure what I think, seems ok. But 0 seems like the best mix- helps allow for a little faster speeds = higher rpm (get up in the power a little better). An adjustable pitch prop (in air) sure would be awesome in the mountains.

It amazes me how much effect on ceiling a little bit of weight makes as well. It doesn't take much from my experience to make a real difference.

Archived