I can fly!

Ed Cesnalis

On my last test flight winds on the ground were gusting to 25 and convective activity was booming.  I was quite happy to see cool oil temps but the ride was unpleasant 1st from hitting my head and then going over the falls in a rotor.  Positive to negative Gs in an instant, theoretically the kind of situation that could be resolved with a number of interesting maneuvers but the truth is the CT was flying me and I was along for the ride till I got out of the zone.

Flying hasn't been fun for a long time.  I live high in the mountains and I've been plagued by overheating in climbs and that, for me took the fun out of it.  I got myself a GoPro and thought I would make a video over the winter but it never snowed.  The last straw has been the windy spring which can make light sport flying in the Sierra serious business and little fun.

Today I went flying in Woodstock to further test the overhauled oil cooler and the day was perfect.  Warm temperatures and calm / smooth conditions.  The overhaul was a success my temps are back down to where they were in 2007 and my ability willingness to climb is back.  It was my first flight in good air in a long time and I felt like years of rust were washed away and precision was back.  The flight felt like it was in harmony with the terrain.  I can't wait for tomorrow.

Great news CT!

I sure would like to know where the "cheese" came from and what variety it was though.

By your post, it seems like you had just taken a big breath of fresh air.

Glad to hear all is back to normal.

Charlie Tango,

This is good news. Would you mind disclosing the maintenance activities done since your temps were excessive?

Doug Hereford

Sure Doug,

1. Oil Cooler overhaul - done at the hot-flush factory in Iowa.
  2. Replace 1 external oil line that had a suspicious radius.
  3. Adjust angle on coolers.
  4. Oil change to full synthetic oil.

Both Jeremy and I feel that the oil-cooler overhaul was the big issue.

I'm still highly confused on oil line reduced radius.  I'm stuck on the thinking that there is 4 gpm flowing through the oil system with no by-pass.  That means even the reduced radius hose is flowing 4 gpm or the oil is backing up at the tank and starving at the pump.  Don't you think that if a hose is reducing flow that in a 20 minute climb at 4gpm a major problem would develop? 

Great news CT!

I sure would like to know where the "cheese" came from and what variety it was though.

By your post, it seems like you had just taken a big breath of fresh air.

Glad to hear all is back to normal.

The fun was gone, I forgot how much fun a CTSW can be.

Charlie Tango,

I agree, that the oil cooler maintenance was probably money very well spent. I also think that the line replacement was a very good idea. Flexible lines that are in service for any length of time while routed poorly, can develope chronic issues or even unsafe conditions.

I have not done the extensive research that you have obviously done with regard to fluid lines on these aircraft. I could not comment on the specifics of oil flow through the system. I agree with you logic however with regard to starving the pump.

Were you able to do anything to correct the routing or securing of the line with suspicious radius?

Doug Hereford

Charlie Tango,

Cool.................................Oh, look at that pun.

It would be interesting to know the detailed findings of the oil cooler overhaul. I wonder if this type of maintenance is something that others could benefit from with regard to hot climb-outs.

Also, it appears that you have confirmed that routing of flexible lines is critical.

Would it be fair to say that the maintnenance that you performed actually restored the system or systems to their original design configuration? Would it be fair to say, that you did this without "altering" the aircraft?

Doug Hereford

Mr. Morden,

Is it possible that incorporating similar maintenance actions as Charlie Tango has done might help keep your aircraft from possibly being grounded, becoming worthless, and gathering rodent poop :)

Doug Hereford

Really? The procedure for hot flushing an oil cooler is in the maintenance manual? :)

Mr. Morden,

I am sure that your inference is correct. There is no procedure in the FD maintenance and inspection procedures manual for "hot flushing" an oil cooler. Incidently, CT stated that he had his oil cooler "overhauled". "Hot flushing" may not be a well defined maintenance procedure anywhere.

However, overhauling an oil cooler is a maintenance procedure that does have industry and more importantly, FAA accepted methods, techniques, and practices associated with it. 14 CFR part 43 requires the use of such accepted "methods, techniques and practices" when performing maintenance. Also, keep in mind that "alterations"  are NOT a form of maintenance, but overhauling, is.

So, it is legally possible to perform this "maintenance" activity on his oil cooler. "Altering" an aircraft is an entirely different issue, which of course (SLSA) would require manufacturer approval.

Doug Hereford

Charlie Tango,

Cool.................................Oh, look at that pun.

It would be interesting to know the detailed findings of the oil cooler overhaul. I wonder if this type of maintenance is something that others could benefit from with regard to hot climb-outs.

Also, it appears that you have confirmed that routing of flexible lines is critical.

Would it be fair to say that the maintnenance that you performed actually restored the system or systems to their original design configuration? Would it be fair to say, that you did this without "altering" the aircraft?

Doug Hereford

Doug,

I'm sure I have not confimed that routing of oil lines is critcal.  I have made multiple changes in one attempt to cool oil temps, no single method is confirmed.

I am not back to original cooling capability but more like new plus one year.

It would be safe to say that I did a limited amount of cooling capacity restoration without altering the aircraft.

Charlie Tango,

Fair enough. It seems your imporvements are dramatic enough to warrant discussion, and more importantly, aircraft operational improvement. Does the aircraft now perform (as far as you have tested) within the  published limits of your operating instructions/limitations?

Doug Hereford

Charlie Tango,

....Does the aircraft now perform (as far as you have tested) within the  published limits of your operating instructions/limitations?

Doug Hereford

Doug,

the published limits of my operating instructions/limitations do not address the amount of climb available before overheating occurs. 

I have regained the majority of the cooling capacity that I had when the aircraft was new, not 100% but the majority.

CT, how many hours are on your airplane? How many calendar years? IIRC you have a 2006?

Andy,

A mere 600.  First year over 200, but by 2008 I was struggling to make a living and began flying less.  Now after 6 years of recession or should I say recovery?  Business is really picking up.  The jobs we do take about 2 years in most cases and for the last year I have been busy bidding plans.  The new level of work is just picking up now.

I have been in business almost 40 years and have never seen a cycle like this one. 

Andy,

A mere 600.  First year over 200, but by 2008 I was struggling to make a living and began flying less.  Now after 6 years of recession or should I say recovery?  Business is really picking up.  The jobs we do take about 2 years in most cases and for the last year I have been busy bidding plans.  The new level of work is just picking up now.

I have been in business almost 40 years and have never seen a cycle like this one. 

Wow, I can't imagine 200 hours a year.  I tried to get 100 last year and with weather, airplane maintenance, work schedule, life events, blah blah, I ended up with ~70hrs.  I guess I just have to work harder at it and fly longer distances!  :)

I'm glad it's all falling back in place for you.

With full synthetic oil you can't use 100LL when traveling, will that be a problem for you?

I can go almost anywhere in CA and get back with good reserves and I can get Mogas in Oregon so I'm good

I thought ROTAX was pretty clear that if the use of 100LL was anticipated, the use of full synthetic was to be avoided.

I don't believe the use of Decalin factors into that at all.

Like others here, I run MOGAS whenever possible. And I've settled on Aeroshell Sport4 since on occasion 100LL is unavoidable. In those cases I do use Decalin.

Archived