My Hobbs meter died

Doug G.

I understand that if I were renting this would be a good thing, and fortunately the Dynon has a Hobbs built in, but, my mechanical gauge only read .1 hr. today on a 1.5 hr flight. Is there anything I should know about getting a replacement Hobbs meter. I haven't found it in the manuals.

Thanks.

I'll double check, but this was a slow death. I started suspecting it was not accurate a while back, but then it seemed OK for a couple of flights. Then yesterday it only moved 1/10 hr. in 1½ hrs.

I am hoping the Honeywell unit from Aircraft Spruce will work, but will call FD today and use the Dynon until I get the replacement.

• 8 months later...

An update...My new Hobbs meter quit at 28 hrs. This was the third one on this plane so I thought it has to be electrical. I hooked it up to 12 volts and it worked just fine. Then, just for fun I hooked up the one I replaced and it worked just fine.

All the wires seemed to be in good shape and the connectors were tight. Next thought was the "generator" light bulb, so I pulled the holder and tested the bulb in the holder... no jjoy. So, I thought I had found the problem. I then found the bulb was the screw in type (actually didn't expect that, I had noticed it was loose but figured it was at the end of some wires). I took it out and tested it. It was fine. Screwed it back in tight and the end result was a working Hobbs! ☺

The other lap was loose also.

If anyone needs a Hobbs meter - I have a spare.

Ok, loose lamp bulbs...  I will add that to my list of electrical gremlins.  

Doug, thanks for passing this along.

Does anybody know the electrical system well enough to offer an educated guess as to what other electronics may "play dead" if there is a loose lamp bulb...?  

Thanks in advance!!

Archived