Cost of insurance

AZAV8OR

I just got a quote for my new CTLSi delivering later this year.  I was a bit surprised at the price (pleasantly).  I went to AOPA and EAA, it was AOPA who came in cheapest for same coverage.   Quoted by (AM Best Rated A, Excellent) "Aerospace Insurance Managers" $1680.00 a year for a brand new CTLSi using a hull value of $140k, with fairly standard ground and flight coverages including: $0 deductible, $1M liability limit, $100k per passenger liability limit.  I'm a relatively low hour pilot, the rate feels good to me.  Last policy I had on the (then new) 2012 CTLS was 2200.   Seems like rates have come down a bit since I owned my last CT? 

http://aero.hallselect.com/

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On the CT, I'm paying $2,978 for $2 million smooth.  $160,000 hull value.

As a comparison, on my Cirrus (which I'm selling) it's $4,353 for $4 million smooth, $300,000 hull value. Much more rigorous open pilot requirement on the Cirrus ...1,500 total hours, 150 hours in type, instrument rating with current proficiency check; CT requirement is 300 total hours and 5 hours in type. 

Given that the liability coverage and hull value on the CT are both about 1/2 of the Cirrus, on a "cost per" basis the CT is about 50% more.  However, the first portion of the liability and hull are more likely to be consumed that the last, so the premium on the CT isn't surprising.

Net net, I think they're about the same with all the adjustments.

Andy

On the CT, I'm paying $2,978 for $2 million smooth.  $160,000 hull value.

As a comparison, on my Cirrus (which I'm selling) it's $4,353 for $4 million smooth, $300,000 hull value. Much more rigorous open pilot requirement on the Cirrus ...1,500 total hours, 150 hours in type, instrument rating with current proficiency check; CT requirement is 300 total hours and 5 hours in type. 

Given that the liability coverage and hull value on the CT are both about 1/2 of the Cirrus, on a "cost per" basis the CT is about 50% more.  However, the first portion of the liability and hull are more likely to be consumed that the last, so the premium on the CT isn't surprising.

Net net, I think they're about the same with all the adjustments.

Andy

Archived