No Start Sky Arrow

FastEddieB

OK,

I spoke with Billy Payne of Just Aircraft, to see if he would help me troubleshoot before ordering the new modules.

He said if it was his plane, he would order the new modules regardless. He said whenever they got in a plane with the old modules, they replaced them as a matter of course.

So I called Lockwood, and they are in fact out of stock. Some due in soon but some ahead of me for backorders.

Called CPS and they suggested I speak with Kevin, who gets in at 11A.

Is this the item I want?

http://www.cps-parts.com/catalog/rtxpages/15-05952.php?clickkey=1664996

Also apparently back ordered. I know I'll need two, but if that's the right part it will come in cheaper than Lockwood - $640 for two instead of $940.

I now have modules on order from both Lockwood and CPS. CPS says they have some due in on 8/18 and not yet spoken for. A bit more - $995 as opposed to $940.

I will just cancel the second order as soon as the first ships.

To be continued...

• 4 weeks later...

As an update.

I did manage to find a pair of the new "Advanced Soft Start" modules, part #881-280. Total cost $985.68.

They arrived in yesterday's mail and I installed them in the afternoon.

Long story short - engine leapt into life immediately! Test flew this morning and it was great to get back in the air.

My assumption is that my old modules were bad. They've both been spoken for by board members to use as guinea pigs.

Though its obviously awkward, my source for the modules asked that it be kept confidential, kind of like a "Non Disclosure Agreement", which I will honor. Let me just say to seek out all possible sources and there may be some out there somewhere.

I will be listing my old BullyHawk SoftStart module on eBay. If anyone is interested, let me know before I list it.

Hooray Eddie!  Sorry you had to go through that, I'm just waiting for my number to come up on my 2007 modules...   :unsure:

Again, Billy Payne - the Brasstown ROTAX guy - says whenever they come into contact with a 2006 or 2007 with the original modules they swap them out automatically. It being not a matter of if they're going to fail but a matter of when.

It's "only" one "aviation unit", and you might think about budgeting for it as a preventive measure. Sword of Damocles and all that. I was lucky the failure occurred in front of my hangar. Lots of places could have been a LOT less convenient.

Just a thought.

Are the new soft start modules plug and play?  Just swap em out and attach the connectors?

Pretty much - especially if you have the 6-wire connectors. I do. There's a bit more work if you have 4-wire connectors - I think Roger can help out if that's the case.

Let me see if I can attach the .pdf of the detailed instructions.

NewModuleInstall.pdf

In any case, plug and play except two new connectors (supplied in my kit) have to be inserted into what are now empty slots in the connectors going to the coils. Those connectors need to be wired to the starter solenoid - I used a 2-into-one spade adapters I had laying around.

Hard to see but here is how my wires ran:

15166916066_2410503a19_c.jpg

There were almost 9000 Rotax 912's produced in those two years. There has only been a handful of bad modules in comparison so it is still rare. The only reason you hear much about it now days is the internet. I wouldn't ever just replace a module just to replace it. The chances are slim you'll be tagged. I said slim, but not impossible.

There were almost 9000 Rotax 912's produced in those two years. There has only been a handful of bad modules in comparison so it is still rare. The only reason you hear much about it now days is the internet.

Of course the perception can be skewed - people with issues are more likely to post about them than people without.

But it sure seems like a significant percentage of those on these sites with 2006 and 2007 912's are having issues with their ignition modules.

But I agree it's hard to quantify.

As an aside, when I travel I carry a spare voltage regulator and the new style fuel pump I purchased. Getting stuck with a bad regulator, fuel pump, or ignition modules in the middle of nowhere could be quite the hassle.

As for the "bag of ice" trick to get a module working again temporarily...would it be useful to carry a can of compressed air as is used for blowing out computer components?  When held inverted, these things can blow out VERY cold freon-esque propellant and could be an easy way to cool down the modules to get another few starts from them.

Hi Andy,

I doubt it would cool enough of the mass and interior of both modules.

I have read that some had luck with some heat. Sounds like a propane torch could be in your future.

I personally wouldn't worry about it. Don't make the ant hill a Mnt. if you don't have to. Just go fly and have fun.

There are thousands of Rotax's out there that have never had an issue.

Archived