Vinyl Reattach Adhesive

Hey all...

Several of the ends of the vinyl stripe tips on my CT have come loose and peeled back, presumably from the immense speeds attained in flight.   :lol:

Does anybody have a recommendation for an adhesive to reattach small sections of vinyl striping?  I think good attributes for an adhesive to use would be:

1) Provides positive attachment

2) Goes on clear

3) Will not harm paint

Any suggestions?  In the absence of any specific recommendation, I will go to the local hobby/craft store at lunch time and see what I can find. 

Andy I have not had success with anything I have tried. You might check with a sign shop. I don't know if it would work, but you might try a piece of clear Blend-derm tape allowing it to extend beyond the existing vinyl. The only other thing you can do is replace the piece that is peeling.

Andy,

Just a suggestion here.

You may try using Scotch brand, heavy mil, transparent packing tape.

Trim the tape end you want secured, so it is smooth and without any wrinkles or curled ends.

Cut a piece of packing tape, which is large enough to overlap the sides and the end of the original strip to be secured.

Carefully press the packing tape atop the bottom tape, then press the packing tape onto the airplane surface, making sure it is flush with the surface.  Remove any bubbles by pressing the center outwards toward the sides and forward end.

Unless someone is looking for the splice (except you), I doubt whether anybody would ever notice it.

Andy, did you find any adhesive that worked for fixing your loose decal?  Roger mentioned poster adhesive.  Maybe the same thing but how about 3M rubber cement painted on the fuselage and the stripe with a small brush, wait for both to dry and press?  Or, maybe 3M upholstery spray adhesive?  I use this for projects on vehicles and house.  This would be a heavy duty version of the rubber cement. 

I'm telling you the poster board adhesive at the craft store will work just fine and it's clear. Do you have a Micheal's nearby. They carry it.

Okay. The only problem is that is a spray, and I don't want it all over the surrounding area to get 1/8" of vinyl. I guess I can spray it onto a Q-Tip and then apply it by hand to the vinyl

Archived