White Safety Tape Remove

gbigs

Actually the tape to use is Bowlus Maxi Tape for sailplanes. It will stretch around the curves (one piece around the upper gear fairings).

I like the 1" for the wings and 1.5" for the gear fairings. For removing the tape residue a little Prep Sol or enamel reducer will work OK.

Like Tom said it is Bowlus maxi tape. I too use 1" on the wing riots. I use Goof-Off to get the old adhesive off. Do not stretch the tape when you put it on. Just lay it down. Stretching it will cause cracking. Mine holds up for the two year wing inspection interval. Once you have the wing root taped, apply a second layer on the leading edge. Go back about 10" on the top and bottom of the wing. This is a high wind impact area and single layers tend to split. I use the same tape on the stab trim tab gap on the top and bottom. Do not stretch it here either.

Thanks, the ULINE product was of course recommended by Dave Armando at FD.  Too late now, so will be applying that product.  The delivery only put on a single band of tape on the wings, and they are fully cracked now.  Goof off?  Okay.  Thanks.

Prep-Sol:

. Not for sale to or use by the general public

There was a CT at Oshkosh and the tape has shrunk and wrinkled. They said it was only a month or two old. Maybe it was the ULINE tape, because I have never seen the Bowlus tape do that. I have never had any problem buying Prep-Sol.

Actually the tape to use is Bowlus Maxi Tape for sailplanes. It will stretch around the curves (one piece around the upper gear fairings).

I like the 1" for the wings and 1.5" for the gear fairings. For removing the tape residue a little Prep Sol or enamel reducer will work OK.

Here's another one:

Gap Seal Tape (same type of tape that seals wings to fuselage).

Ordered from Flight Design:

Item code is "S-2230."

Gap seal tape 2", color - white.

$10/roll.

I use it around the gear fairings and a couple of strips to protect the lower fin.  (Be careful not to cover up the drain hole).

• 4 weeks later...

Just use acetone on a cloth and rub the residue off. Acetone gets it off very easily, and also the rohacell and airex cores are resistant to it. Acetone is also used as an epoxy and paint thinner, which sounds bad, but what it means it is chemically compatible. For acetone to soften epoxy or paint, it would have to sit for a long time in a bath.

EDIT: so i decided to test the acetone a bit more with a dark cloth instead of my usual light ones, and really rubbing it in. I can see a *very* faint amount of paint on the cloth, and therefore recommend acetone *sparingly*. It has also left some very fine streaking on the surface.

Just use acetone on a cloth and rub the residue off. Acetone gets it off very easily, and also the rohacell and airex cores are resistant to it. Acetone is also used as an epoxy and paint thinner, which sounds bad, but what it means it is chemically compatible. For acetone to soften epoxy or paint, it would have to sit for a long time in a bath.

Thank you, thank you.

Acetone will soften the acrylic windows momentarily (side windows) but it will make the front and top windows brittle and slowly dissolve them (polycarbonate) until you let it sit out for a while so the acetone evaporates. It will reverse the brittleness, but the dissolved material is gone forever.

Manufacturers fuse together acrylic windows with acetone on big planes with the electrical window heat element infused in it. They give them a bath and press the two halves together around the element.

Just as a quick sidenote for anyone who might read this post and have an old style aircraft: You don't want to get acetone anywhere near your windows if they are cellulose acetate, it will cause them to turn milky.

Thank you, thank you.

See my edit:

EDIT: so i decided to test the acetone a bit more with a dark cloth instead of my usual light ones, and really rubbing it in. I can see a *very* faint amount of paint on the cloth, and therefore recommend acetone *sparingly*. It has also left some very fine streaking on the surface.

Here's a vote for Goof-Off.  I tried numerous things, including the lighter fluid as suggested by the Bowlus guy.  I was at Roger's the other day and he showed me Goof-Off in action.  In 30 seconds he cleaned about 5 feet, next to a 12" spot that took me two hours to clean.

In that 12", I had tried lighter fluid, GooGone, some citrus cleaner, oil eater, simple green, ICE detailer, and some Novus cleaner/wax. 

I bought some Goof-Off at HomeDepot (paint dept) for $2.79 (4.5 oz lighter fluid-sized can).  I finished cleaning the bottom of my stabilator in minutes.  Upon reflection, I should have bought the 20 oz can for $5-something.

Use sparingly and rinse well afterward. 

'figured it was some sort of solvent mixture.  It's clear and thin, and evaps quickly.  I used your trick (dark rag) and didn't see any while paint come off.

(according to the MSDS sheet, water fleas and flathead minnows will die if you try to make a jar of Goof-Off their home)

PS... there are several Goof-Off products... I think the one we want to use is "Professional Remover".  They also have "heavy duty" and "Graffiti Remover", "rust remover" and 3-4 more.

Nearly every solvent is carcinogenic.

In fact, humans are highly prone to cancer even naturally (everyone has cancer at some point in their lives), but our immune system almost always recognizes and destroys the tumors before they have a chance to grow. It's a small subset of cancer cells that are able to dodge the immuno response.

That's one of the things that make phages an interesting field of study. There is evidence that phages can be deployed to alter the markers of cancer cells, triggering the immune response, but the hard part is making sure they only trigger the response on cancer.

Since when has Acetone been carcinogenic?

http://toxnet.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/sis/search/a?dbs+hsdb:@term+@DOCNO+41

Quote: "Acetone has been used extensively as a solvent vehicle in skin carcinogenicity studies and is not considered carcinogenic when applied to the skin"

The evidence for Toluene is a little less clear, but from the same source:

"Toluene and xylene. While no direct human evidence is available, there is recent evidence of carcinogenicity of toluene and xylene at high concentrations in experimental animals" so I'd probably steer clear of washing my hands in it!

But Acetone - it's nail polish remover and is still available over the counter!

Neither of those substances is going to be carcinogenic in the amounts used to clean tape residue off a CT.   

It would be like expecting to get cancer from drinking one Tab cola with saccharine.   :lol:

BTW, Gasoline is a KNOWN carcinogen both for skin contact and inhalation.  100Hamburger, who pumps your gas?  ;)

Archived