White Safety Tape Remove

gbigs

40 years ago I ran a 4 color printing press.  We used the solvents to wash the ink off of our hands, arms and bodies.  The ink would go right through your clothes.

Recently I started installing spray polyurethane foam, these chemicals are really scary but at least we know it.

Yeah, polyurethane really is scary stuff.  I hope you use a fresh air rig when spraying!

I believe Acetone is stronger and more likely to penetrate and or attack the painted surface. It definitely attacks the clear windshield where I haven't seen Goof Off damage the windshield. That said I wouldn't purposefully put it on there, but I have tried it..

I think the less harsher the solvent the better we may be.

FYI, The 12th Edition Report on Carcinogens, produced by the US National Toxicology Program (available at http://ntp.niehs.nih.gov/go/roc12) lists benzene as a known human carcinogen.  Toluene is neither a known human carcinogen nor a suspected human carcinogen.  They are most definitely not in the same category of carcinogenicity.  

The statement that all solvents are carcinogenic may, or may not, be true.  But, because the potency for carcinogenicity varies enormously across solvents, the statement is untrue for all practical purposes.  This is not just my opinion, it is accepted by every major scientific body that offers opinions on the topic.  

For the record, some solvents cause cancer among humans (benzene is the poster child) and some solvents have virtually no evidence of cancer risk among humans.  Even more complex, some solvents have partial evidence or inconsistent evidence of carcinogenesis among humans.  

To get good information on chemical carcinogenesis, use the US National Toxicology Program (see above), the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC), and the US EPA.  Or, do a real literature search in the National Library of Medicine.  

Cherry picking one article here and there, when there are many thousands on chemical carcinogenesis, is not the way to discover anything resembling accepted scientific consensus.  

And, yes, solvents are toxic to the skin and the nervous system, and that is reason enough to control exposure (both by inhalation and skin contact since they are absorbed efficiently by both inhalation and directly through the skin).  However, the toxicity is dose-dependent (as noted above) and infrequent use of commonly available solvents is not a major health risk for most people.  

Also, don't forget, many solvents (with some notable exceptions - read the label) are flammable and/or explosive.  Worrying about cancer while blowing up the hangar while using acetone (among others) may be counterproductive.  

You guys are over analyzing this. So long as the glue comes off what does it matter if you get a huge growth on your neck and die. Just wipe the glue off and  put the tape on then you'll have time to buy your casket instead of posting 37 pages on adhesive remover.

I had to go back and look because some how I thought Andy started this. All simple questions from him go at least 37 pages of post.  :lol: 

You're off the hook this time Andy. :lol: 

You guys are over analyzing this. So long as the glue comes off what does it matter if you get a huge growth on your neck and die. Just wipe the glue off and  put the tape on then you'll have time to buy your casket instead of posting 37 pages on adhesive remover.

I had to go back and look because some how I thought Andy started this. All simple questions from him go at least 37 pages of post.  :lol: 

You're off the hook this time Andy. :lol: 

I ask simple but deceptively complex questions designed to provoke intense debate, it's how I build up my post count.  :D

I'm with Roger, who cares if you die a horrible painful death, as long as you leave a pretty airplane behind for others to appreciate and marvel at?  

Archived