High Speed Landing

gbigs

I had a fun experience with this at Osh.  They kept calling me a Cessna and set me up for runway 27.  The approach puts you at 1,000 agl and 90 knots until mid field.  The controller told me to turn base at the numbers and land on the orange dot.  Good thing I had briefed my passenger - an aviation newbie - about what an extreme slip would be like.  I went to max slip in the turn, slowing to the various Vfes until I got flaps 40, and hit right in the middle of the dot.  Fun to use the full envelope of what the bird can do.  WF

You get called a Cessna. The local tower referred to me as experimental. I called the tower to let them know I was not experimental. I am not certain it would ever matter but I find it somewhat annoying. (Not that there is anything wrong with being experimental - some of my best friends fly experimental.) :)

The only issue I have is whenever I call up ATC for flight following and call myself "Flight Design 509CT" I get a pause and then "509CT, say again type?"

I'm always ready for that and say "Type identifier is foxtrot delta charlie tango".

They say "Ah thanks, got it..." and all is good. 

• 2 weeks later...

And if it's a Mooney, into the next county!

Amen on that 

The reason for prop strike on the Mooneys , to fast in ground effect and then force the nose down second bounce then prop strike

It never work on a Mooney to push the nose down , best is aproach speed full flaps and waiht and see , in 15 years i had to to once do a go around ,

If i am sligtly fast  i stay about 15' above the runway out of ground effect bleed the speed of and then lower in  but 5knots to fast in ground effect and you will proberbly float the whole  runway

The CT is great with 40 flaps if to high :work like speed brakes , worse case can add lazy s turns on finals

There are 4 in the US. They don't use any color other than white anymore because the color ruins the mold and they have to try and scrub out all the colored flakes. I know of three, but don't know where the fourth is.

Based on the Flight Design composite class I don't think these are painted in the mold.

Archived