Failed ignition modules

Jim

Engine starts easily and runs smoothly after a few seconds. Problem now corrected.

Took me 2 hours including two trips to NAPA. I already had the proper crimping tools. I'm slow. It's not like I'm in the business. But, it's done right and that's all that matters to me.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Ed,

What did the Tanis heater have to do with hard starts? It should have been the other way around.

Since the purpose of the bag of ice is to cool the modules down, wouldn't a hotter engine compartment make the situation worse??

Engine starts easily and runs smoothly after a few seconds. Problem now corrected.

Took me 2 hours including two trips to NAPA. I already had the proper crimping tools. I'm slow. It's not like I'm in the business. But, it's done right and that's all that matters to me.

That's the way I work too.????

Hi Ed,

What did the Tanis heater have to do with hard starts? It should have been the other way around.

With the Tanis plugged in I can't find a 'choke' position that works, I end up trying all choke positions and even opening the throttle a crack.  Sometimes I would give up after almost a minute of cranking only to find it is just barely and very quietly running.  Without the Tanis and full choke it allways starts instantly with a big kick or 2.  Now with the new ignition and no pre-heat it starts instantly but without much of a kick, and about 5 seconds of rough running.

My experience with the Tanis is that it keeps everything warm but a Tanis start is harder than a summertime mid day warm start.  Not hard in a kick way but in getting it to fire.

• 2 months later...

Just had to replace my modules at 1100 hours. Thanks to this forum, the diagnosis was easy. I confirmed fuel was flowing and confirmed no spark (using an ancient auto timing light). Then, the ice cube trick brought the spark back. New modules and she is flying again! Thanks to all. WF

• 6 months later...

Well, it looks like we can now add the ignition modules on my 2007 CTSW to the list of failures.  I say this because they failed (or passed ;-) Roger's totally cool ice bag test.   TT on the engine is about 700 hrs, so I guess I was due. 

Thanks to the forum folks, I have learned a great deal about this issue and can't thank you all enough! 

Now that I have a diagnosis, I reckon I can proceed with ordering the parts and was wondering what's the latest on where to order these little boxes of magic.  Is it still a matter of Lockwood, CPS or Leading Edge? 

Any info on the current state of this issue will be greatly appreciated! 

~~ Johnny

Well, looks like we lucked out ... Leading Edge has one of these little units ... Sold! for a mere $931  :o

I have read on these forums that they have aluminum inside.  Considering the price, I am thinking it's pure gold  :giggle-3307:

Each time this comes up, it needs to be pointed out that ROTAX needs to work on their parts distribution.

It's not like this is a sudden, new development - these modules have been failing for years. There's no excuse for a plane to be grounded when the need for replacement parts is so easily foreseeable.

"Are you saying that Lockwood, LEAF and CPS could easily acquire them, but don't? "

yes

I do agree that the current and old price for modules was way too high and that the special they had for two modules for a few years was at least more inline. The service centers try to control their stock too closely sometimes. CPS in the very recent past has moved past this and almost doubled the stock they had. They are available a lot more for tech calls, doing service work and have three people versus one doing work. They are under new management. The service centers don't get stock every week. It is on a set schedule. It becomes a case of how much money you want sitting on your shelves possibly not moving very fast. Usually there has to be a high demand before they place larger orders and that usually puts everyone behind the eightball. How much stock does centers carry? Depending on the service center $250K - $500K. Stocks at $250K are pretty low when you factor in engines and some of the expensive parts.

Well then, there's this...

Truman_the-bucks-stops-here1.jpg

My point is, dealer issues and international agreements aside, the ultimate responsibility for getting parts to owners and mechanics lies with ROTAX. Especially with AOG, they need a supply chain that can quickly get parts to customers one way or the other.

As far as the price increase on the modules, here's a related Cirrus story:

In the early planes, the EMax connectors - to one CHT and one EGT probe for each of six cylinders - were atrocious. Cheap and unreliable beyond belief. Had many pilots seeing high and low readings and having to reason through whether an indication was real or not - which can be dangerous if a real problem is occurring and the pilot thinks, "It's probably just the connector".

Cirrus came up with a fix - improved connectors, similar to what other aircraft brands used. Great! But then proceeded to charge what I think was around $1,000 for a kit including the improved connectors. That's $1,000 for about 12 connectors - think about it.

Anyway, that resulted in a lot of ill will, and the impression - reinforced by other things, including chute repack charges - that Cirrus was not beyond gouging their customers, even on items that were correcting known deficiencies. That impression has cost Cirrus some customers, who related their reasons for leaving the brand over on COPA.

ROTAX needs to be aware of the impression they leave with their parts pricing and availability - they do not want to get a reputation of gouging customers, because those customers may have choices to make as to engine choices in the future, and they do not want them thinking, "Anything but ROTAX - great little engines but parts are a problem!".

That's the serious side effect of making aftermarket parts next to impossible to use. It's the second biggest beef that I have with concensus standards and proprietary systems leading to vendor lock in with aviation.

I would rather have LSA run by the FAA, even though that would bring a lot of other problems.

• 2 weeks later...

Parts update:  LEAF got 8 more of the modules in stock, so I was able to order and receive the second one this week.  For anyone needing one, they're in stock ... for now!  Many thanks to Corey, Eddie and Roger for their help! 

Hopefully this $1,862 for parts (plus labor charge) will get me started.  Gonna need a second job at this rate!  :D

I believe that is for one only.   I have not seen a package offer for two at this time.    Let me also add and question the price difference of the soft start module.  Lockwood $971  and CPS $319 .... i would like to assume one is just much better priced however, with that much difference i gotta question if i am missing something

Archived