DA effect

Doug G.

I took a 7 hr. (Hobbs) trip over the North Dakota Badlands follwing the Little Missouri River to its confluence with the Missouri River at Lake Sakakawea (yes, that is the way it is spelled where the Mandan tribe she was from still exists).

Over the Badlands I turned from a western heading to an eastern heading and started a climb from 6500' to 7500'. I used the autopilot and dialed in a 500 fpm climb. Shortly after the climb began the autopilot started calling for more up trim. I put quite a bit in, but it was soon asking for more and the airspeed was degrading. I turned off the autopilot and leveled off.

At that point I realized what the problem was. It was hot and the DA was near 9k ft. I remembered some conversations here about high DA. I moved the flaps from -6 to 0 and resumed the climb. The DA (via Dynon) was over 9500' when I reached 7500'.

I want to thank the experienced folks on the forum for their input on these and many other issues. It was good to have the experience, even better to know what was going on.

I want to thank the experienced folks on the forum for their input on these and many other issues. It was good to have the experience, even better to know what was going on.

I could not agree more.  This forum is a great resource.

It never ceases to amaze me how much there is to learn from other guys who have "been there and done that."

All the contributions enhance the experience with the CT airframe.

It is a great little airplane to begin with . . . this forum makes ownership even better.

Thanks to all. . . . :)

A while back I climbed up to 10,000ft just to do it since I had never previously had the CT at the Sport Pilot limit.  

I did not have any trouble getting there at -6°...but I was hand flying it and not trying to hold a specific climb rate.  This was in Georgia on a warm but not blazing day.  At the time I did not have a OAT that was accurate (I do now), so I can't tell you the exact DA at that altitude.

It sounds like going to 0° flaps is a good trick to have in the bag.  Might cost you a few knots, but help to clear higher terrain.

Also, anytime you fly over a vast sea of desert like the badlands, bring lots of water and pay attention to facilities and roads. If you have to put down, you definitely want to put down near one of them.

Definitely would not want to put down in a lot of that area. There are few roads and mostly rugged land. I have walked in places out there and the rocks and holes are plentiful on the places that look level. It probably wouldn't take long to be found because of all the oil activity in the area. (The roads they have built are usually really rough and narrow.)

I should add that most of the time I am flying with a DA between 3000' and -3000' at a pressure altitude of 900 ft at ground level.

That must be nice for performance. :) During afternoon training flights my DA in the run up area exceeds 9000' this time of year. I will routinely cruise between 10500 and 12500 with DA over 15k. It's no rocket climbing there but it makes it eventually. I tend to be setting the climb rate at 200 to 300 fpm to maintain 70 knots or better with the autopilot. You have monitor it as getting a downdraft will get you slowed down to minimum speed. I usually just hand fly at that point as its more work to chase the autopilot vs just riding the waves.

DA sure does make a difference. Learned that drag racing.... Think the highest I have seen here was 10,700.. sure it's been higher. They won't even rent out the CH750 during the summer (even solo), with an 0-200 that only dreams of making as much power as a 912 it's dangerous to try and fly. I'm not exaggerating, I did some reading that 0-200's don't actually make 100hp like they are rated.. originally, they were close but due to some premature wear they started running them with less timing and they only make 85hp or so. Add in the DA and the thing literally makes 60ish HP.

Archived