Financing Rates

mocfly

• 3 weeks later...

I had a whole life policy that I bought in my 20's that I borrowed against. The loan rate is 6.15%, but they are paying now over 5% in dividends on the full cash value, so my effective rate is a little over 1%. I can also pay back nothing to whatever I want on the payment. Of course, if you don't pay it back it will affect your beneficiaries.

• 2 weeks later...

Strike while the iron is hot!!!

That's largely how I financed my Cirrus, and then threw in as much extra principal each month as I could, and got it paid off in a few years.

At 4.5% interest it might or might not make sense to pay down principal, since one can find investments that pay about that and if interest rates increase or inflation takes off, that 4.5% loan will look even better!

haha!! :)

Looking for a Kitfox 5 or later, tricycle gear preferred but open to conventional. Not sure what I really want engine wise- if I get one with the 80hp Rotax, it should be better suited to turbo, but until that happens, it pretty much wouldn't fly up here.

Can't afford a 914... an IO-233 would be awesome (but they are pricey too).. I probably wouldn't buy anything with an 0-200 (too underpowered). A 100hp rotax of course is the most affordable option to just get in the air - but doesn't leave much room for upgrades down the road to combat high elevation. Which isn't all bad... I could be figuring out something completely custom (honda fit engine, turbo subaru etc.) while enjoying flying the plane!

Other than a kitfox... I would consider a CH750, Skyranger, A22 foxbat. But the kitfox fits the bill the best, pretty STOL-ish, decent cruise (95-100knot +) removable doors, nice cargo area etc.

Thanks Andy, appreciate you spending some of your time looking around!

Just finished paying off my little house. Turned around and borrowed 65k against it... 10 year loan, 4.5% at my local bank. Should have the money around the end of the week....and then some quality time on barnstormers

If you want a Kitfox, then take a look at this one.  I looked at it at Lakeland Sun n' Fun last year.

A parachute can be added to it initially or later.

Due to lower MTOGW, performance is very good.

http://www.aerotrek.aero/aeropro.htm

Don't be to hung up on the horsepower thing. There is much more to aircraft performance than just the engine. I have heard that a 65 HP Taylorcraft does fine at your altitude, so one with a 100 Continental would be great.

Well a 100hp CTLS is under powered up here (at gross in the summer you are looking at 200-300 fpm climb) And a CH750 with an 0-200 is massively underpowered. It's not even flyable with 2 people on board in the summer time. I've tried, it won't leave ground effect. 10k+ density altitude hurts.

However..I realize that aircraft A may operate better with 80hp vs. aircraft B... and I can of course hope that a Kitfox or something else may make more use of whatever HP is has than the planes I have flown... but weight vs. power will still come into play. I like flying in the mountains which puts me at 12500-14000+ and it just takes good old HP to climb up that high. I think a low boost 912UL would be awesome... set it up for around 100-105hp but be able to maintain good power at high altitude.

If you want a Kitfox, then take a look at this one.  I looked at it at Lakeland Sun n' Fun last year.

A parachute can be added to it initially or later.

Due to lower MTOGW, performance is very good.

Thanks! looking into these right now...

I should probably start my own thread, I have basically hijacked this one.

If you want a Kitfox, I would learn to fly a tail dragger. Lower drag will give you better performance all around, plus it will be better on that rough strip of yours. And you get a new skill to master!

A good buddy of mine flies a 65hp Avid, a progenitor of the Kitfox, and it is a surprisingly good performer, even with his 185lb and my 190lb on board.

Archived