Can you fly in Oregon? (you have to register and pay a fee)

Ed Cesnalis

http://www.oregon.gov/aviation/pages/pilotreg.aspx

Certificate of Oregon Pilot Registration. Every pilot operating within Oregon must present a federal certificate of competency and state certificate of registration upon demand. The certificate of registration shall be kept in the personal possession of the pilot when operating aircraft within this state.

If I send a crew to South Lake Tahoe I have to purchase a permit from Nevada.  We use US 395 and US 50 both go through Nevada.  Not only do I have to buy a permit in the morning but a 2nd one in the afternoon so we can drive home.

States are finding more and more fees to charge while they raise tax rates.

In my local town we now pay a TBID tax, a sales tax to fund tourism.  Our closest town Bishop, CA is going to enact a TBID as well.  The citizens don't vote on TBIDs, it only took 2 guys to enact one in our town because they run the 2 biggest businesses they had the 'votes' to enact the tax on all of us.   Sheesh

Always was grateful I don't live in New York or Connecticut or other Northeastern states due to the taxes there.  Always figured I'd go hole up in some Northwestern state if the state bureaucracies got onerous here.  Guess I'll have to rethink all of this based on the comments. 

They can't "lock you out of their airspace" as they don't own airspace. That's a violation of various open airspace treaties and federal regulations.

They DO have authority over the land though, so if you touch down, they can levy landing fees and operating taxes. I seriously doubt they will be able to pursue you though if you only touch down once, I am thinking this is more of a fee for pilots that operate *regularly* out of oregon.

I'm not too bothered by the fee, as long as the money is only used in accordance with the oregon law which states that all of those proceeds will be used for search & rescue, and pilot safety training and awareness.

Always was grateful I don't live in New York or Connecticut or other Northeastern states due to the taxes there.  Always figured I'd go hole up in some Northwestern state if the state bureaucracies got onerous here.  Guess I'll have to rethink all of this based on the comments. 

I didn't pay any sales tax when I bought my new CT, and no annual personal property tax on it either.  Just a $100 annual registration.  Any state that treats aviation that well can't be all bad, right?

Keep in mind this is not a new fee. Don't know how long its been around but was in effect when we moved to Oregon 10 years ago. There is the pilot registration fee and a fee to register your plane. Neither fee is very much but the camels nose is under the tent flap.

It wouldn't be so hard for me to take if it all went to the Division of Aviation for maintaining the airports. But, the pilot registration fee goes to defray the costs of searching for us when we don't come back. Apparently to sherrifs departments, etc. are the recipients. This is a service the Civil Air Patrol already provides for without state funding.

For those like Paul M, or myself, who bought our planes where sales tax was not in effect, we need to remember that moving to a state that does have sales tax, we may get to pay. For example, Washington state. Before finally settling in Oregon, we considered Washington - except they not only wanted sales tax on our C-206, but also on our motor home. The tab was about $14K. Scratched WA off our list.

BTW, Georgia sucks for airplane owners. I got hit when I bought my plane for $5000 in state "use tax" (that's how they get sales tax under a different name for a plane bought out of state), and just got my first property tax bill on the CT...slightly more than $1000, and that one is every year.  In the first two years of ownership I have essentially paid 10% of the value of the airplane in taxes.

:(

Andy, is the Georgia tax a "intangibles" tax or truly a property tax? Is this tax also paid on boats, motor homes, etc.? This really sucks. Can't imagine paying $1000/year for my CT in taxes. In Michigan, I paid a one time sales tax which was bad enough. The tax agent said I needed to pay the tax on the listing price of the plane. I told him the plane could be listed for double or triple what it sold for but the price it sold for is the true value. This is the one time I won an argument with a tax collector.

Andy, is the Georgia tax a "intangibles" tax or truly a property tax? Is this tax also paid on boats, motor homes, etc.? This really sucks. Can't imagine paying $1000/year for my CT in taxes. In Michigan, I paid a one time sales tax which was bad enough. The tax agent said I needed to pay the tax on the listing price of the plane. I told him the plane could be listed for double or triple what it sold for but the price it sold for is the true value. This is the one time I won an argument with a tax collector.

It's a property tax, the same as you would pay on your house.  In fact, my house tax this year is $1250, my CT property tax is $1021.  I'm contesting the valuation they put on the airplane, but in the end there is no way I'll escape with less than a $750 tax bill.

According to AOPA, the fees have been enforce for approx 10 years. This was nothing new.

The fees are used for search and rescue of aircraft and missing persons.

Also for pilot survival traing and education.

As such, I think it's a good idea.

I got a reply from an Oregon source I have (unable to post it) that in general indicates this is NOT a new item; but with their budget situation the state is more aggressive in collecting various fees, etc.  The SAR fund is derived from a .01 cent tax on Jet A fuel/gallon. That fee has been in existent since 1952, with no increase.  They (state) attempted to add an additional .01 cent/gallon recently but were not successful, etc.....

I have more questions than answers, however......

Archived