Renting sucks....

GravityKnight

I didn't mean to put you off of it, just telling you to do the paperwork correctly. With an experimental it's probably actually easier than a certified plane.

No I understood where you were coming from. Sounds like it definitely could be done with this plane. We have emailed about it a few times, I'm definitely interested.

Got some bad news about the Sky Jeep, looks like it may be totaled. I tell you, the guys I rent from have not had a good summer.

(I was asking my instructor friend about some tailwheel training, and he sent me those pictures).

It was sitting out, not tied down (usually it is)... and the wind around here had it's way with it... really painful to see that! Plane was basically new.....

But yea.. that kitfox is pretty much what I was looking for, so I'll be looking into what it would take to bring it into the US.

post-1054-0-98901500-1409977633_thumb.jpg

post-1054-0-13496200-1409977638_thumb.jpg

That plane is totalled. I can say that with 100% certainty, there's nothing but the left gear leg, left wing strut, and tires that can be salvaged from that.

That might not be the end of their troubles either. If they are using fleet insurance, after multiple claims with that CTSW, then this one for not keeping it tied down or stored, the underwriter will find it really difficult to justify renewal. If the fleet is large enough, they might make it through though.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Todd we share the same instructor. I am starting to feel your pain when it comes to renting from Peak. Also I see the SW could be down for quite some time. Last I looked, they haven't even touched it. Looks like it needs some composite work. Also 747LM will be down for a month very soon for the overhaul. Soooo we will have 1 CT to fight over for a while. 

Hey! you found a good place here!!

I share your opinion about 359, it hasn't moved in a couple weeks now. I was told originally it would only be 1-2 weeks.. bummer :( And I just scheduled 359 to take a friend up who is really excited to go flying in a small plane.. have a feeling he might want to take lessons after going up! But I'm wondering if I shouldn't reschedule while I have the chance, just because it isn't marked out on the scheduler doesn't mean it will be ready.

Other than the bent rudder pedals, I like 747 better than 929... it just feels more powerful. 929 has always been a dog IMO. Which do you fly the most?

Hey! you found a good place here!!

I share your opinion about 359, it hasn't moved in a couple weeks now. I was told originally it would only be 1-2 weeks.. bummer :( And I just scheduled 359 to take a friend up who is really excited to go flying in a small plane.. have a feeling he might want to take lessons after going up! But I'm wondering if I shouldn't reschedule while I have the chance, just because it isn't marked out on the scheduler doesn't mean it will be ready.

Other than the bent rudder pedals, I like 747 better than 929... it just feels more powerful. 929 has always been a dog IMO. Which do you fly the most?

Is 929 the SW?

I ask because during an inspection (came up because I was flying it back from an aircraft recovery and it didn't act right), I caught a problem with 178CT. The intake air and carb heat tubes were reversed! It was sucking carb heat for god knows how long, and when it was fixed, it was like she was given new life!

Is 929 the SW?

I ask because during an inspection (came up because I was flying it back from an aircraft recovery and it didn't act right), I caught a problem with 178CT. The intake air and carb heat tubes were reversed! It was sucking carb heat for god knows how long, and when it was fixed, it was like she was given new life!

929CT is an LS. It has always felt very under powered. They took some pitch out of the prop.. too much probably as it will redline in level flight at a pretty low airspeed (don't remember off hand, but it's pretty slow ~90 knots?). And it still doesn't climb very well. As in 359CT, the SW, will still out climb it easy and it could even benefit from having a bit of pitch taken out. That's a very interesting point about the tubes- that would definitely do it!!

Why use part of the N number on the site.  It's kinda inside info.  Why not refer to what kind of planes they are?

If it was inside info, I don't think they would  be painted in large letters on the outsides of  planes. Not like I'm handing out info on the registration.

It's registered to a business, so I don't feel like it's giving anything personal out either. Not to mention all the N numbers are all over their website etc. Now out of respect, I should have probably asked the owners of the school... hadn't even crossed my mind. Though I have posted videos on youtube and they even linked 1-2 of them onto their facebook page- so they know about those and they had the N number listed.

I flew to Limon this morning in 929CT. Seemed ok this morning. At -6 I was cruising at about 115 ground speed maybe 90 - 95 indicated. I prefer 747LM, but did my XC in 929 because the auto pilot seems to work better. 

That's good news, I wonder if they have played with the prop pitch again. I haven't been in 929 in some time. But that sounds much better than the last few times in it.

Yea the autopilot in 747 is screwy lol. I flew that thing back from Las Vegas when they bought it.. 7 hrs hand flown because it was turbulent and the auto pilot does weird things lol

If it was inside info, I don't think they would  be painted in large letters on the outsides of  planes. Not like I'm handing out info on the registration.

Well, you kind of are:

http://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinquiry/NNum_Results.aspx?NNumbertxt=929CT

But it doesn't matter.  It's publicly available information.  About the only way to "hide" any of that information is to put it behind an LLC or trust, but even then there is an address and/or trustee publicly shown.

Trusts and LLCs can then be searched and reveal personal information about their owners. You can take it further with cross referencing other public records and get quite a bit of information.

I gave up long ago trying to hide my identity. It wad kindof pointless. Now I just use a very public profile, and just try to conduct myself professionally.

That's good news, I wonder if they have played with the prop pitch again. I haven't been in 929 in some time. But that sounds much better than the last few times in it.

Yea the autopilot in 747 is screwy lol. I flew that thing back from Las Vegas when they bought it.. 7 hrs hand flown because it was turbulent and the auto pilot does weird things lol

Yeah Wick told me about the adventure you guys had with the Vegas trip. I will do my check with Drew mid October. 

• 1 month later...

The SW is down again. It was down for a couple months with this cracked gear issue. And now, after flying for ~3 weeks, it's down again with the same issue. Not quite sure how or what happened. They don't suspect another hard landing, and actually I was told yesterday they aren't sure it was caused by a hard landing originally.

Their thought is that there is something going on with one of the main gear wheels thats causing these stress cracks due to some sort of harmonics problem..... Not quite sure I buy that, all though I have seen first hand what strange harmonics can do to things in the car world (clutches staying engaged above certain rpms, bearing issues, vibrations etc.) Bummer though regardless....

The SW is down again. It was down for a couple months with this cracked gear issue. And now, after flying for ~3 weeks, it's down again with the same issue. Not quite sure how or what happened. They don't suspect another hard landing, and actually I was told yesterday they aren't sure it was caused by a hard landing originally.

Their thought is that there is something going on with one of the main gear wheels thats causing these stress cracks due to some sort of harmonics problem..... Not quite sure I buy that, all though I have seen first hand what strange harmonics can do to things in the car world (clutches staying engaged above certain rpms, bearing issues, vibrations etc.) Bummer though regardless....

Are they grounding it because of cracking like this? If they are, they might need to have a closer look (pictured is an LS, so this may not apply). The area around the sides of the gear legs is just filler material and has 0 structural significance. If someone does a tap test, they will discover that easily. The load bearing areas are inside, on top, where the bracket mounts in the photo, and also the second mounting bracket further inside of the airplane.

post-1078-0-37108200-1415403420_thumb.jpg

Corey, the SW has a completely different set up.

GravityKnight, see if you can get a picture from them showing the crack or where it is. I take care of several SW's, and have never seen a crack. I do check for cracks per the safety directive at every inspection. If they are cracking someplace else I would like to know. I have also replaced a few bent gear legs.

Corey, the SW has a completely different set up.

GravityKnight, see if you can get a picture from them showing the crack or where it is. I take care of several SW's, and have never seen a crack. I do check for cracks per the safety directive at every inspection. If they are cracking someplace else I would like to know. I have also replaced a few bent gear legs.

That's what I figured. I took the photo and was halfway typing through when I was like, wait a minute... he flies an SW. Oh well, will post anyways in case someone wants to make use of this info!

Archived