Inside the Ignition module

Nope. The modules around the 2006-2007 time period have had some starting issues for some owners, but none fail in air. It is usually just the starting circuit that has gone bad. Once started they tend to run fine. I don't know why and neither does anyone else.

The reason I think people think both modules failed at the same time is because one failed earlier on and they didn't know until the second one failed.

My early 2008 refused to start twice on hot afternoons (90 degree hanger) but once it set outside for awhile it did fire up. This last time, it started and when I did my "mag" check, number one would shut the engine down. I did the ice bag trick and all was fine. This was 3 months ago when modules were available.

In one of the forums there was a discussion that the cause of ignition module failures was (mostly?) due to a capacitor degrading from heat. Does anyone know if the modules are repairable by installing a new and more heat tolerant cap? I don't know if the modules can be dis and re assembled or if they are potted.

Roger Kuhn

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

This is my first post. Being a newbie in flying, want to thank you all for your input in many situations. It is very obvious that you do not all agree with each other, but as long as you do not come to blows, this can be a good thing.

Wish to share my first incident. Purchased a 2006 CT a four months ago. Three days after taking possession could not get the engine to start. Figured it was the battery. With a strong battery, engine started. Problem, engine would not start after sitting for a few days.

Skipping ahead, was gone for two months on a project. Had an annual done while gone. Upon arrival home, went to fly. No start. From reading your posts, tried the ice bag remedy. It worked. With this happening, let the engine run longer before take off to make sure all was OK. On mag check, there was absolutely no drop at all. Did a normal take off. At 800 FT on left cross wind the engine quit. This was the day I was to solo. What an experience. Had an A&P come to the field to find the problem. Both ignition modules bad. He said that with the extra time on the ramp and with high temps the module will fail under high demand or something like that. The good out of this is that as a student can say that I experienced a dead stick landing. Now know that an emergency does not give you any warning. It happens now. A priceless experience that could save a life in the future. Feel that Rotax really needs to be addressing this situation. Any input?

I haven't heard of any engine failures in flight. It has only been the starting circuit. Rotax has offered help. The original modules are $1100 each. The pair of soft start modules are $950 for the pair. Most module failures are on 6-8 year old engines. They may call that a service life?

Don't shoot the messenger.

Hi Guys,

This is my first post. Being a newbie in flying, want to thank you all for your input in many situations. It is very obvious that you do not all agree with each other, but as long as you do not come to blows, this can be a good thing.

Wish to share my first incident. Purchased a 2006 CT a four months ago. Three days after taking possession could not get the engine to start. Figured it was the battery. With a strong battery, engine started. Problem, engine would not start after sitting for a few days.

Skipping ahead, was gone for two months on a project. Had an annual done while gone. Upon arrival home, went to fly. No start. From reading your posts, tried the ice bag remedy. It worked. With this happening, let the engine run longer before take off to make sure all was OK. On mag check, there was absolutely no drop at all. Did a normal take off. At 800 FT on left cross wind the engine quit. This was the day I was to solo. What an experience. Had an A&P come to the field to find the problem. Both ignition modules bad. He said that with the extra time on the ramp and with high temps the module will fail under high demand or something like that. The good out of this is that as a student can say that I experienced a dead stick landing. Now know that an emergency does not give you any warning. It happens now. A priceless experience that could save a life in the future. Feel that Rotax really needs to be addressing this situation. Any input?

It sounds like you are new to the airplane and flying too. One thing you said and maybe you didn't know this, but if you had absolutely no "mag drop" you had a problem right there. When checking the ignition you should have your normal drop. If you don't you need to get it looked at.

Archived