Hangar self-fueling practices

Brad

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jacques has the right/correct/easiest solution. I use the same system, a towel then the 5 gal can, and then the syphon to fill. I am also lucky in that I can get 91 octane mogas without the corn crap.

Dr. Ken Nolde, CTLS 840KN

Will you feel any better if you know that the ethanol is made from sugar cane, as is done in Brazil, or cellulose such as is being done by POET using corn stover? Or would you rather have MTBE?

Duane,

Here is an interesting discussion of Arizona motor fuels. It seems credible. Near the very end of the article is an explanation for the ethanol situation in Phoenix.

http://www.azenergy.gov/doclib/energy/az_motor_fuel_and_supply_distribution.pdf

It's a short read. I would emphasize that ethanol blends take place at the rack, not at the refinery, so the situation is local.

Do your local boaters have exemptions from oxygenated gasoline, as they do in other states? I don't know where one goes to find that out for Arizona. I would probably pick up a phone and call a marina that sells fuel and ask the guy who buys fuel for them. Are there marinas in Arizona? :) (that is a joke)

Another thing to do is check and see what the law says. It may apply only to motor vehicles that use the road. If that is the case, one could see if one can get a tank and have someone deliver non-oxygenated fuel directly to you. A local flying club does that. The delivery would have to be from the distributor (the "rack" in fuel slang). Back when I was driving a gas transport to pay my way through college, we'd load at the rack where all gas was the same except for the additive package they included. We'd punch some buttons and the package was blended as the fuel was loaded. You'd want gasoline with no additives or at least no oxygenate.

I understand this may be more trouble to you than it is worth, I'm just sharing some brainstorming.

Duane, your CT will burn 91E10 perfectly well...Why hunt around for a fuel you don't need and will pay more for?  Right now, mogas for the CT is in the low $2 range making flights in the CT almost free...something like $9/hr fuel burn.

Duane, your CT will burn 91E10 perfectly well...Why hunt around for a fuel you don't need and will pay more for?  Right now, mogas for the CT is in the low $2 range making flights in the CT almost free...something like $9/hr fuel burn.

Duane is hunting fuel for our "throw down aircraft" recently acquired to explore South America. We will start a new post as soon as details on this three year adventure begins.

Farmer

Duane is hunting fuel for our "throw down aircraft" recently acquired to explore South America. We will start a new post as soon as details on this three year adventure begins.

Farmer

Oh, neat.  Will look forward to hearing about it...

• 1 year later...

+1 goat throat. Have one, works extremely well for pumping all sorts of (compatible) fluids. Note that you must order the correct type, as they use different plastics and gaskets. Call them and they will talk to you and give you recommendations. Viton plastic is the type you want for gasoline.

Make sure you ask about a grounding type too. They will put conductive plastic in it to reduce

sparking hazard.

Hi Corey!  I bought the goat throat pump and am now looking at tank options.  Which tank and adapter did you go with?  

~~ Johnny

• 5 weeks later...

I just built this trailer for about $1800...   JME 55 gallon DOT approved transfer tank, a Cox grounding reel, GPI 15 gpm pump with shutoff, meter and filter, a 40" x 48" Harbor Freight trailer, an Optima Blue Top Marine battery, tool box control box and battery housing so on and so forth...  Slick little trailer!   (could have been built cheaper but I "spared no expense" and more importantly, had a lot of fun building it)

post-124-0-03751500-1470706435_thumb.jpg

post-124-0-91417500-1470706454_thumb.jpg

post-124-0-35074100-1470706511_thumb.jpg

post-124-0-90395400-1470706521_thumb.jpg

i kept an eye out on craigs list for a transfer pump. found one and mounted it on plastic barrel and put the whole thing on a low trolley. about $250 including used transfer pump and old RV battery

i ground the assembly with jumper cables to metal hanger when fueling.  the extra jerry under plane is for overflow.

i pull into a gas station and fuel jerry cans while in trunk of car; then suck out the gas without ever lifting the cans.

post-808-0-53630800-1470787996_thumb.jpg

post-808-0-59284900-1470788332_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Like Doug, I have been using the Tuff Jugs.  They are available at Cycle Gear stores (nationwide chain of motorcycle accessories and apparel, etc.) They cost about $40 each but will obviously pay for themselves in fuel savings over Avgas shortly.  Most non-aviation folks agree that typical E10 fuel shouldn't be allowed to stand for months at a time like 100LL.  As such, I prefer to never keep more than 20 gallons in the airplane unless I'm going somewhere far enough to use it up. I have the rubber extenders (also available from C.G.) and use them only if I'm topping off. 

This year I've flown only locally so I pour in 5 gallons at a time to freshen the fuel.  I put the Tuff Jug onto the "paint platform" on the ladder, climb up two steps, then set it sideways on the top of the ladder before finally lifting it over the fill opening. If the cap is tight with the seal in place these things will not leak. I've never put a drop of gas on the wing yet.  If you can manage to lift about 35 lbs, I can't imagine a better solution.  Just go to a gas station, fill the jug(s) and put into the airplane right away.  -George

Like Doug, I have been using the Tuff Jugs.  They are available at Cycle Gear stores (nationwide chain of motorcycle accessories and apparel, etc.) They cost about $40 each but will obviously pay for themselves in fuel savings over Avgas shortly.  Most non-aviation folks agree that typical E10 fuel shouldn't be allowed to stand for months at a time like 100LL.  As such, I prefer to never keep more than 20 gallons in the airplane unless I'm going somewhere far enough to use it up. I have the rubber extenders (also available from C.G.) and use them only if I'm topping off. 

This year I've flown only locally so I pour in 5 gallons at a time to freshen the fuel.  I put the Tuff Jug onto the "paint platform" on the ladder, climb up two steps, then set it sideways on the top of the ladder before finally lifting it over the fill opening. If the cap is tight with the seal in place these things will not leak. I've never put a drop of gas on the wing yet.  If you can manage to lift about 35 lbs, I can't imagine a better solution.  Just go to a gas station, fill the jug(s) and put into the airplane right away.  -George

I own 3 of the 2.5 gallon Tuff Jugs, and one 5 gallon Tuff Jug.  I vastly prefer the 2.5 gallon.

Andy

I just built this trailer for about $1800...   JME 55 gallon DOT approved transfer tank, a Cox grounding reel, GPI 15 gpm pump with shutoff, meter and filter, a 40" x 48" Harbor Freight trailer, an Optima Blue Top Marine battery, tool box control box and battery housing so on and so forth...  Slick little trailer!   (could have been built cheaper but I "spared no expense" and more importantly, had a lot of fun building it)

I keep making noises about building something like this, and then finding other ways to spend the money.  I'd love to see a parts list for your trailer with part numbers.  I have a buddy at my field who might split the cost of something like that for us both to use, possibly with a slightly larger tank (it would take 60 gallons to gas us both up fully).

post-124-0-70571500-1472667095_thumb.jpgHi Andy,  Here goes:

Utility Trailer - Harbor Freight $240.00  http://www.harborfreight.com/1090-lb-capacity-40-12-in-x-48-in-utility-trailer-62645.html

Utility Trailer Jack - Harbor Freight $25.00   http://www.harborfreight.com/1000-lb-swing-back-trailer-jack-41005.html

Fuel Transfer Tank - 55 Gallon $485.00   http://www.jmesales.com/product/55-gallon-dot-aluminum-square-refueling-transfer-tank,7337,6001.htm

Note on tank:  Under 120 Gallons flies under the radar of the DOT regulations for fuel haulers.  You could go to a larger 110 gallon tank if you are sharing with another person.

Fuel Transfer Pump - 15 GPM $402.00  http://www.jmesales.com/product/gpi-m-150s-au-fuel-transfer-pump-12v-dc-15-gpm-automatic-nozzle,14744,4523.htm

Fuel Filter / Meter - $193 http://www.jmesales.com/product/gpi-fm-100-series-mechanical-meters,8862,7258.htm

Cox Grounding Reel - $257.00  http://www.jmesales.com/product/coxreels-ez-sd-series-ez-coil-static-discharge-reels,5777,7783.htm

Battery - Marine Deep Cycle - $176.00 https://www.amazon.com/Optima-Batteries-8016-103-BlueTop-Starting/dp/B00075OSCO/ref=sr_1_3?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1472666107&sr=1-3&keywords=optima+battery

Battery Mount - $63.00  https://www.amazon.com/Optima-Billet-Battery-Relocation-551183/dp/B011IT8F3K/ref=pd_sim_263_6?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=KZ2RTCGX5Y3DDCAB8C6M

Battery Charger - $105.00  https://www.amazon.com/Optima-Digital-Performance-Maintainer-Battery/dp/B00DHGPVKI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1472666479&sr=8-1&keywords=optima+battery+charger

Battery Box / Control Box - $250  http://www.ebay.com/itm/24-x-18-x-18-Underbody-Underbelly-Unique-Aluminum-Diamond-Plate-Tool-Box-/381706403447?vxp=mtr

IN addition you'll need some screws, a 25 amp breaker, a little control box etc.   I sourced locally from a brother in law who owns a metal shop a 40" x 48" x 1/4" piece of aluminum to serve as the decking of the trailer (which bonds the fuel tank, ground reel, battery box all together and to the tow vehicle whose lights are grounded through the harness).   I realize these prices total around $2200.00.   I had some of the items on hand, you can also substitute a Flow Rite pump for the more expensive GPI pump, you don't need to add the meter if you don't want, you can use a cheaper cox grounding reel etc.   Lots of ways to cut cost down.  You can mount the battery right to the trailer deck and skip the $250 tool box.   I'm guessing a bargain basement version could be built for less than 1500.

My trailer was inspected by the Fullerton fire department in the city where the airport is (KFUL).  By having it issued a fire permit I can now park it (empty) in my hangar (I'm allowed up to 3 gallons residual) and the airport blessed me using it to fuel the plane (outside the hangar) because MoGas is not offered on the field.  Its a completely legal solution!

Archived