CURRENT BRS repack time

NC Bill

Just finished my chute repack.  The whole thing was 4 weeks and 1,505.00 all in.  Along the way, my local shop discovered that the chute had not been installed correctly.  The nylock screws that hold the rocket in its canister had never been tightened, and the rocket was rattling around, scoring itself and the canister.  Luckily the BRS guy was in town and could fix it.

My shop suggests that if anyone has a CT sold by the Dunhams and serviced by GFA south of Reno (Ed?) it might be worth making sure that your rocket is screwed in.  Mine would not have worked had I needed it.

WF

He may have had extra labor. The chute re-pack if it hasn't gone up is $846 + about $50-$70 for shipping. Figure the average shop will charge about 1 hr. labor.

Shipping is usually only 2 weeks.

I'm curious too. Why so much Wayne and so long? I would think a $1K at the most. 

Repack, or repack and replace rocket motor?

I know it's way up there :)

I believe it's a repack with a new rocket and reef cutters.

Earlier models need composite work, and most of the fleet will have to upgrade to the new electronic igniters, since the old mechanical ones are not made anymore.

Lots of grumbling about gouging on the COPA site. Cirrus has a monopoly, and eliminating the chute is not an option.

The BRS repack alone was 1,080, but that included extra for "fast" shipping.  I think the BRS guy dropped by my local shop and fixed the rocket for free, since I paid the 1,080 before we found the problem with the rocket. Local shop time was the rest, which included lots of time tracing these things down.  BRS had to be contacted several times, forgot to send documentation more than once, etc.  But, hopefully now it will work if I need it!  WF

By the way, BRS will send instructions to your local parachute repacker (who has a round parachute rating). Our parachutes are softpack type placed inside a case for protection, so they are similar to backpack chutes.

So you can just work out a price with your local packer?  That could save some money...assuming the packing is the same quality.

Archived