CTSW 30° landing approach made easy - speed control

Ed Cesnalis

CTSWs are 'pitch attitude' airplanes.  By that I mean that a CTSW can be flown well by focusing on pitch attitude.  Low wing SLSAs seem more reliant on a flatter pitch attitude and smaller deviations and more throttle reliance and adjustments.  This may be somewhat true comparing a CTLS and a CTSW.

Here's how I do it to minimize struggling with controlling speed:

1. Retract to 0° while approaching the pattern. 100kts Vfe.
  2. Downwind set throttle to slow to 80kts by keypoint (abeam numbers)
  3. Abeam extend 15° flaps and close throttle at the same time.  Both changes will effect the nose it will balloon and yaw.  Controlling both in one event simplifies things.
  4. Extend downwind in level attitude and you should see 62kts in a few seconds.
  5. At Vfe (62kts) extend 30° flaps, lower nose till drooped wingtips are level and turn base, all in one event.  
  6. Trim off the pressure, you should be at 55kts.  You can fly the base and final legs without any input for speed control.

I use 60 for final with zero and 15 flaps and 50 knts for 30-40 flaps. In a situation on a really short field landing even 45 knts will work with 30-40 flaps I just prefer a better safety margin. No wonder Ed you don't use any power or worry about speed. All these years you have been faster than me. ;)   

I use 60 for final with zero and 15 flaps and 50 knts for 30-40 flaps. In a situation on a really short field landing even 45 knts will work with 30-40 flaps I just prefer a better safety margin. No wonder Ed you don't use any power or worry about speed. All these years you have been faster than me. ;)   

I have gotten down to 45ish knots before, the sink becomes...impressive.  In calm winds slowing to 48kt into the round out seems to work okay though. 

Archived