Float Test

procharger

I had my floats changed just before the SB came out and, luckily, the mechanic was specific about part no's on his log entry. He installed floats that have part no's that were prior to the newly released, problem, floats. I've been flying for over a month with the new floats with no observed carburetor problems.

Unless I don't need to do it until the floats in development come out. Since my S/N is not included I am thinking there is a difference in the floats, or is it just a matter of age?

Once the new floats come out, you don't have to worry. For now, this SB applies to all floats with part 861184 since July 1st, 2012. http://legacy.rotaxowner.com/si_tb_info/serviceb/sb-912-065.pdf

The thing is, all the distributors and RFSC management is telling rotax that this SB is completely overkill. Using the syringe is unnecessarily complicated, when just dropping the bowl and weighing would have just been simpler (and by the writing of the SB, you can go straight to weighing and it will satisfy the requirements anyways). There is a point made that in a couple of engine installs, the syringe is the easier method.

If you do use a syringe, the SB requires that you replace the choke gasket every time you use the syringe (every 25 hrs or 60 days!) which is absolutely ridiculous, and further warrants just weighing the floats.

"The thing is, all the distributors and RFSC management is telling rotax that this SB is completely overkill. Using the syringe is unnecessarily complicated, when just dropping the bowl and weighing would have just been simpler (and by the writing of the SB, you can go straight to weighing and it will satisfy the requirements anyways)."

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him put down the syringe.

The symptoms are quite obvious if you have a sunken float. If you have a tractor prop and an enclosed engine like the CT, RV12 or Sport Cruiser, ect.. you will smell the fuel because it pukes out the vent tube, You will have a rough running engine and if you pop the top cowl off and run the engine you will see fuel puking out the vent tube.

The syringe is a PITA method and completely unnecessary. You can visually see if a float has sunk or just weigh them and it is darn few that have had an issue.

Weighed floats from two 912uls' this weekend and found the 2010 floats weighed 5.9 grams (2 floats from one carb) and 5.8 grams. Then tried some from a 2014 and both sets were overweight (more than 7 grams) by almost a gram. The 2014 also seems to be burning about 1 gal/hr over what I've seen in other 912's

• 1 month later...

attachicon.gifDSCN1696.JPG  Here's a pix of the float I removed. My 912 ULS serial # was above the affected engines but as you can see, this float needed replacement.

Approx 149 HRS TT

That's what my old floats looked like on a set of carbs that I overhauled with 2000 hours on them. It was a leading factor in my decision to do so.

Just a tid bit of info on the sinking float issue. Bing has a solution and hopefully out to everyone soon.

The second tid bit that no one really knows is the Rotax will pay .75 hr. worth of labor time for each time you document the 25 hr. float inspection.

Based on what pay rate? :P

Rotax's pay rate that is listed on the work sheet that can be found on their website or the Rotax flying club site.  If you charge more you just have to document that and many times they will pay it provided it is a reasonable rate. Rotax has a pay scale like a Chilton's automotive rate scale that gives a price for every type of maint. job in case of a warranty claim.

On my 2014 RV-12  I noticed fuel smell and small drip stains under left carb at around 60 hours. Mechanic found one float completely sunk and other float was fine. Replaced with 'new' float. It's been fine since.

Last week I got fuel smell from right carb and few drips at about 78 hours. Both floats were floating slightly low, one almost at surface the other a little below. Weights over the limit but not a lot.

Replaced both from a  batch of 4 I just recently bought from Lockwood, lucky for me they had just received a shipment of parts. Replaced bowl gaskets too.

Engine always ran well, mixture didn't appear to be over rich and only sign (apart from physical inspection) , was the fuel smell.

Archived