Garmin 696 Repair

CT4ME

Dang, 'going to have to pay $600 for the flat-rate replacement of my Garmin 696.  The screen blanked once as we were preparing to come up to the Page Fly-in, and once more when we were flying up.  The screen went blank for about a minute, then came back.  It worked fine for all the flights at Page and back home.  Last weekend, it went blank, then back on at an increasing rate.  Then it stayed off mostly, only coming back on for 10-15 seconds.

I'll skip the troubleshooting and resetting and get to the problem.  The screen backlight is bad.  Garmin techs couldn't figure it out.  But I realized that even when the screen was "off", the unit sending GPS data to the autopilot... so it wasn't really off, the screen was just not showing.  A bright flashlight, held right on the screen confirmed my theory.  The flashlight lit the screen enough to show that it was really working.

It doesn't much matter what the problem is, as Garmin has a $600 flat-rate replacement program.  You send them the bad one, they send you a new one. "A complete factory overhaul to new required specifications and domestic ground shipment back to you".

Dang.  Well, at least it's cheaper than buying new or used.  But a device this expensive shouldn't fail with only a 150 hours of use.

This is a far out response to your problem.

1 - Did you try to increase your display intensity.  If you can get into the menu, try to increase and decrease the display intensity.

http://ctflier.com/index.php?/topic/728-garmin-696-wont-turn-on/

2 - I had the same thing; shutting down / coming back up randomly, it was driving me crazy.  Turns out the battery wasn't making good contact, even though the 696 was receiving power from the aircraft.  Tilted the 696 forward, removed battery, re-inserted the battery and all was well.

Tunny

Thanks for the ideas.

yep... reset several times and adjusted all display settings, especially anything to do with brightness or time-out.  Screen going blank happened on aircraft power and on battery.  Removed and replaced battery and cleaned the little contacts.  It didn't seem to have anything to do with shaking or movement, as it would do it while flying, setting in my lap, or just setting on a table.

Tim

Same issue yesterday for my 696 in Hawaii. I removed the battery altogether and it seemed to help for now anyway. This problem started from new once in a while, but always came back after I disconnected and replaced battery. I come to understand that some have just removed battery. I would like to understand more as we all learn. Guess we will need to call XM to change serial number, oh yes after charging me for six months they confessed that they did not have service in Hawaii and no refund. Always in wrong business!

Thanks

Farmer

That's kind of unacceptable...use a $2000 device for 150 hours then have to pay $600 to get it repaired/replaced.

I'd be asking Garmin to waive that fee, and I'd keep saying "let me talk to your supervisor" until I could get some relief on that.

EDIT:  If you do end up having to eat the $600, I'd insist on a reset warranty the same length as a brand new out-of-the-box retail unit.  I might also suggest to them that Garmin might be out of the running for your future GPS purchases.

Dang, 'going to have to pay $600 for the flat-rate replacement of my Garmin 696.  The screen blanked once as we were preparing to come up to the Page Fly-in, and once more when we were flying up.  The screen went blank for about a minute, then came back.  It worked fine for all the flights at Page and back home.  Last weekend, it went blank, then back on at an increasing rate.  Then it stayed off mostly, only coming back on for 10-15 seconds.

I'll skip the troubleshooting and resetting and get to the problem.  The screen backlight is bad.  Garmin techs couldn't figure it out.  But I realized that even when the screen was "off", the unit sending GPS data to the autopilot... so it wasn't really off, the screen was just not showing.  A bright flashlight, held right on the screen confirmed my theory.  The flashlight lit the screen enough to show that it was really working.

It doesn't much matter what the problem is, as Garmin has a $600 flat-rate replacement program.  You send them the bad one, they send you a new one. "A complete factory overhaul to new required specifications and domestic ground shipment back to you".

Dang.  Well, at least it's cheaper than buying new or used.  But a device this expensive shouldn't fail with only a 150 hours of use.

I have a 696, original equipment in my aircraft when owned by my brother, he installed a 796. I do not need the 696, XM capable except the antena is installed as a backup in my aircraft. The battery pack is inoperative but it works fine when plugged into an electrical outlet, even with the non operational battery pack. Would be willing to sell it to you for much less than $600. Of course the sale is as is because it is a used item, but I have tested it and it works fine.

Cheers

Is the battery pack just gone, or will the unit not work with any battery pack?

The battery pack is in the unit, it does not hold a charge, the unit works with and without the pack installed in the unit. I have tested it with the electrical connection with transformer, included in the 696 kit. You can power the unit with or without the battery pack.

Cheers

Haven't tried it using aircraft power, WITHOUT the battery pack... 'have to give that a try.

ralarcon - my cell is 480-232-1101

tim

You can also use the electrical cable, home plug, much cheaper than $200.00 and test at home. Like mine on the photos I sent you.

Cheers

• 5 years later...

My favorite  Garmin 696's screen started going dark after 15 minutes of use. After turning the unit on consecutive times it would stay on less time each try.  Garmin told me that it could not be repaired and that the unit  was at the end of its life. Sent the unit to Short Tronics 612 326 4364 and they promptly repaired it for 150.00. I am very satisfied with their work.

I was about to throw my 296 (12 years old for me) as the screen was barely visible.   Shopped around the internet and found a replacement screen for $20 !!!   Still going strong.  I was actually a bit excited to finally replace the old unit - but if it works, no need to replace.