Moving, pushing pulling your CT

FastEddieB

My crankshaft point was a parrallel. I do not know what the rotax gearbox bearings looks like, but i would think such a precision part would not be a good thing to apply forces not designed for, if it is not designed for it. Then again, is there a difference between a pusher and tractor engine and gearbox?

Any prop that runs in beta is on an airplane too big to push on.

It's not always useful to recommend actions "just because it makes me comfortable". That may have it's place, like "don't go too near the edge" if one doesn't know if the creek bank has been undercut, but it can serve as a way to keep people from doing perfectly acceptable procedures out of misplaced concern. Aviation is full of examples of inexperienced CFIs instilling bad habits because the CFI doesn't know enough to understand the situation (s)he is uncomfortable with or can't adequately explain. A good example of this is the admonition to not run a constant speed engine "over square". Another is the consternation some mechanics have with running an engine lean of peak. It's always more convincing to see a reference cited, or see the name of the person being quoted.

Not be abe to push on it yourself, yes, but i have seen 6 people push a king air back due to a broken tug.

I know where you are coming from, but my counter argument is you might not know the design limits either. It's better safe than sorry.

Now, in your example, i show in the poh that i can run over square, then the cfi should not be uncomfortable about it. Then again, maybe owners want to play it safe with their renters too. Asking renters to not run over square could be a form of risk management.

Archived