Dead short of battery In flight

Scrapman1959

OK so i posted Feb 18 about my panel going black and losing all electrical prior to takeoff after pressing the PTT.    I thought it was a loose battery connection which was tightened and all worked well.    However, it happened again today,  this time just after take off but just as before, it happened when i pressed the PTT.    

Back on ground i am trying to find the exact cause and how to fix this.   The PTT is making the electrical go out but could this also be the Master switch.?    During troubleshooting, now my master switch is not giving any power (wont switch on at times.  Meaning it doesn't switch on but after on/off/on/off many times i get lucky and get power. 

Thanks for any leads on what i am looking for.......

For CB's there really isn't much maintenance, though some manufactures do say they should be cycled every once in a while. I normally cycle the other breakers annually. I don't do anything special for the battery and generator, because they get cycled every time.

The master switch / breaker can go bad. Do you have the toggle type or the pull type? A replacement switch should not be to expensive, and not to hard to replace.

i have the toggle type.    Yeah i placed an order for a new one and it is not too expensive.   But i am wondering if something could be wrong with the radio since it is the PTT  that causes the electrical failure.  OR is this the last bit of current that trips the switch/breaker.   meaning, if i had something else to 'load' the current it too might trip the switch/breaker ?   = hope that made sense.    Although, i now remember making multiple radio calls prior to the tripping of the switch.   In typical fashion it tripped when i needed the radio the most - in controlled airspace. 

btw, guys and gals, do check your handhelds as a back up.    I use mine regularly to monitor so i assumed it was working well. Found out the microphone is busted. Did no radio procedure at airport.    Turns out we are not that easy to see unannounced and had to text a friend on the ground to call tower and tell them i was circling infront of them.    Even with these troubles - still a fun day flying.!

Cdarza, I had the same thing happen to me while flying late last year. My panel went dark and then came back after I recycled my "Main" breaker. My mechanic had commented previous to this that he did not like the fact that FD used push/pull breakers for switches.  He suspected my panel going dark was caused by the "Main" breaker malfunctioning and replaced this with a toggle breaker switch.  No problems noticed since the push/pull breaker was replaced with the toggle breaker.  Having the panel go dark certainly raises the adrenaline level!  I suspect you may be right thinking the added current flow resulting from using the radio might have put the marginal breaker over the edge and tripped it.

The radio doesn't draw much current when receiving, but the current draw goes up quite a bit while transmitting. So the answer is yes, when you push the PTT the current draw will increase significantly. This could easily be enough to trip a weak and faulty breaker.

Sorry, am not too good/expert at this.   I didnt notice any burn on the contacts.  Although, the bottom copper coil is supposed to be attached to the bottom left metal piece. (to the left of the copper coil)  Perhaps there was minimal contact  whicj finally broke off with my repeated on/off when troubleshooting.

Cdarza, thanks for the picture. I've wondered what's inside one of these switches and this helps me understand how this type of switch works. You say the braided wire "is supposed" to be attached to the contact arm. Has this wire broken free from it's attachment to the arm?

Archived