BRS Safety Alert

gbigs

I see that, but is this an " Airworthiness Directive" ?

Cheers

I believe the answer to that is no as this is was not issued by the FAA as an AD (it is possible I believe to have an AD in LSA for certain parts used on an LSA aircraft that were manufactured in accordance with Part 23).

What has been issued is a Safety Alert by the manufacturer.  14 CFR 91.327 does say:

(a) No person may operate an aircraft that has a special airworthiness certificate in the light-sport category for compensation or hire except—

(4) The owner or operator complies with each safety directive applicable to the aircraft that corrects an existing unsafe        condition. In lieu of complying with a safety directive an owner or operator may—
(i) Correct the unsafe condition in a manner different from that specified in the safety directive provided the person issuing the directive concurs with the action; or
(ii) Obtain an FAA waiver from the provisions of the safety directive based on a conclusion that the safety directive was issued without adhering to the applicable consensus standard;

This SA only requires the pilot or owner to visually inspect before next flight and then make the logbook entry. If re-installation needed then you need a higher rating to do that work.

Note also the following from the FDUSA  website.  

Originally, Part 91.327 of the regulations required owners or operators to comply with safety directives, but there was no provision in place for recording and tracking compliance. Be advised that recording of the safety directives was revised and instituted in March 2010. This change now requires  the status of all safety directives be recorded and to require aircraft owners or operators to retain a record of the current status of applicable safety directives for special light-sport aircraft.

I believe the answer to that is no as this is was not issued by the FAA as an AD (it is possible I believe to have an AD in LSA for certain parts used on an LSA aircraft that were manufactured in accordance with Part 23).

What has been issued is a Safety Alert by the manufacturer.  14 CFR 91.327 does say:

(a) No person may operate an aircraft that has a special airworthiness certificate in the light-sport category for compensation or hire except—

(4) The owner or operator complies with each safety directive applicable to the aircraft that corrects an existing unsafe        condition. In lieu of complying with a safety directive an owner or operator may—
(i) Correct the unsafe condition in a manner different from that specified in the safety directive provided the person issuing the directive concurs with the action; or
(ii) Obtain an FAA waiver from the provisions of the safety directive based on a conclusion that the safety directive was issued without adhering to the applicable consensus standard;

This SA only requires the pilot or owner to visually inspect before next flight and then make the logbook entry. If re-installation needed then you need a higher rating to do that work.

Note also the following from the FDUSA  website.  

Originally, Part 91.327 of the regulations required owners or operators to comply with safety directives, but there was no provision in place for recording and tracking compliance. Be advised that recording of the safety directives was revised and instituted in March 2010. This change now requires  the status of all safety directives be recorded and to require aircraft owners or operators to retain a record of the current status of applicable safety directives for special light-sport aircraft.

Thanks !

CT, there is a large literature on this topic.  Choosing one study and the opinion of one "expert" is a kind of cherry-picking that doesn't do a good job of sorting reality.  To best understand what is known from empirical observation, the full literature needs to be assessed.  This has been done by several credible organizations and they all agree on the conclusions. 

Fred,

Sounds like you are calling me a 'bike helmet skeptc / denialist'?

Sometimes the consensus is wrong, science by consensus isn't science.   :)

It's odd that this is called a "safety alert" and not a "safety directive". Anyways, the inspection is dead nuts simple, don't even have to unbolt anything, just look.

Not sure if all LSA manufacturers do it this way but this is how FD does it Corey:

There are three types of Safety Directives:

Service Notification: For notifications that do not necessarily recommend future action but are primarily for promulgation of continued airworthiness information.

Service Bulletin: For notifications that do not require immediate action but will  REQUIRE some future action.

Safety Alert: For notifications that require immediate action.

Archived