Aileron control wheel stuck

Gmoore7

I need your thoughts on this please,

I had my annual done Saturday and all checked out fine except my aileron control wheel which has become very hard to adjust over the last few months. Actually since the last annual. I mean really hard to turn.

I put on the Tundra tires on Saturday as well and so far really like them. They really beef up the looks of the 2007 CTSW. It did raise the plane up a little and I'm sure I will  hear about that the next time my wife tries to get in.

Any thoughts on what to tell my A@P as to how to adjust it.

Thanks for your thoughts.  

Gary

Hi Gary,

Do this easy stuff first.

First thing to eliminate is binding at the adjusting wheel. Spray a tad of (food grade) silicone on the wheel axial rod. See what happens after that. 

Your A&P should have already done this, but if he didn't:

You can spray the silicone on any aileron rod end too while doing this, both in the wing and in the baggage compartment.

I flew yesterday and did 3 touch/goes. Only thing I noticed was  the ground came up sooner, but I expected it. I put 35 pounds of air and that seemed okay, but I may lower it a bit for a little softer ride.

I must admit I feel a lot better knowing I can land on a rougher surface if I have to as these are much thicker tires especially comparing them to the other ones I took off. For now I am happy and I only spent a little more than the smaller tires.  

I flew yesterday and did 3 touch/goes. Only thing I noticed was  the ground came up sooner, but I expected it. I put 35 pounds of air and that seemed okay, but I may lower it a bit for a little softer ride.

I must admit I feel a lot better knowing I can land on a rougher surface if I have to as these are much thicker tires especially comparing them to the other ones I took off. For now I am happy and I only spent a little more than the smaller tires.  

Did you just take off the wheel pants, or buy the tundra pants?

I took off the wheel pants and put the tires on. Now I need to get larger pants... Maybe.

I know you are a new owner (kinda), but this is pretty easy to do.

Someone posted a step by step detail in the forum on how to change them out and did a very good job of it. Search Tundra tires and it should pop up.

I took off the wheel pants and put the tires on. Now I need to get larger pants... Maybe.

I know you are a new owner (kinda), but this is pretty easy to do.

Someone posted a step by step detail in the forum on how to change them out and did a very good job of it. Search Tundra tires and it should pop up.

Oh sure, I've pulled wheels and tires several times on my airplane.  No biggie...the only reason I have not done this change is that it's kind of a gray area since FD want you to change out the nose fork and nose tire if you make a change to the bigger tires, which gets expensive.  

The wheel pants don't really add much if any speed, but the airplane just looks a little dorky to me without them.  Might be worth it to me for better capability on grass though.

I think it all boils down to what you want for your airplane. I personally like the larger tires and maybe some day will put one on the front. I just don't want to part with the extra cash for the front fork. We'll see.

Thanks for the feed back.

Happy Holidays!

The large tires on the mains with no wheel pants works fine for me. I could care less what it looks like, as I'm on the inside looking out. The tire makes a nice step to aid in getting in, which the wheel pant does not. It's easier to see tire tread wear and somewhat easier to check and add air.

The front tire is the original and the fairing is still on it. If I have occasion to remove the fairing it will stay off. It may have some slight affect on rudder pressure om flight, since it is coupled.

I wonder if these tires are available in Germany?? Where do you buy them and what is the type exactly??

The "tundra tire" is a 600-6 size tire, you can find them at Desser Tire Company:   http://www.desser.com/store/?gclid=Cj0KEQiAhvujBRDUpomG5cq_mI0BEiQA7TYq-g_JrGLwUtnTD6lQ_HTzijUQf-x5wC5tdc-qjfOFjugaAvW88P8HAQ

I'm not sure which exact tire is recommended (Monster Retread?), I'm sure somebody can chime in on that.

These tires are 6.00-6  6 ply from Desser Tires. They are called their monster tread tires. They have much more rubber than the standard tire, wear like iron and very protective against thorns and flats. These are the only people that make this tire. I have been using them for many years and long before the CT. I have 7 CT's at my filed right now and 4 have the Desser monster tread tires. The other two planes have the smaller 4.00-6 tires.

http://www.desser.com/store/products/600%252d6-6-PLY-MONSTER-RETREAD-AIRCRAFT-TIRE.html

Archived