Possibly needing prop adjustment

Rich

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mine and a number of others were shipped with alternate props.

My plane has never had a Neuform prop.

The new planes, the FD CTLS and CTLSi ship with the Neuforms.  Here is the price/quote from FDUSA.

http://flightdesignusa.com/aircraft/ctls/pricing-options/

They have a typo on the prop name.  If FD is shipping some other kind of prop, it is not listed on their website.  The Neuforms are standard.  If you guys are making GENERALIZATIONS about prop pitch, it seems to me anyone reading this thread be WARY of that...and consult with your prop operators guide as I just did for the prop on my plane.

You are misunderstanding the text from the manual. That manual is generalized for all of their props. They not only sell rotax 912 propellers, but also, for example, props for the rotax 582. The 582 has multiple gearsets that you can choose from with different reduction ratios for the purpose of sizing and choosing a propeller. It is this that neuform is referring to when they state you should choose the appropriate gear reduction set to keep prop RPM low.

The 912 ULS and iS series only have one available gearset ratio, so unless neuform has crap engineering, the CR3 series props would be engineered and be expected to run at one single powerband, and you need to toy with the prop setting to find it.

Again, it matters ZERO what the prop is called (of course it's a ground adjustable three-blade prop). 

What matters as far as this thread is concerned is that the prop is FIXED PITCHED in flight (as opposed to a Constant Speed, Controllable Pitch, Two-Position, Full Feathering etc).

Why don't you just say it right, instead trying to make what you said work? In flight the ground adjustable propellers pitch is fixed.

The new planes, the FD CTLS and CTLSi ship with the Neuforms. Here is the price/quote from FDUSA.

http://flightdesignusa.com/aircraft/ctls/pricing-options/

They have a typo on the prop name. If FD is shipping some other kind of prop, it is not listed on their website. The Neuforms are standard. If you guys are making GENERALIZATIONS about prop pitch, it seems to me anyone reading this thread be WARY of that...and consult with your prop operators guide as I just did for the prop on my plane.

Do you really think your propeller is set up like propeller guide, or is it set up like Rotax wants?

The two are contrary to each other.

FD has shipped many CTs with different pitches.  If as burgers says they know best why have they used different pitches and evolved to a flatter pitch over time?

Bottom line for me is simple, the 912 is expensive and it produces ~75hp for cruise and I am going to use it, I paid for it. yes.gif

Do you really think your propeller is set up like propeller guide, or is it set up like Rotax wants?

The two are contrary to each other.

FD sets the prop like the Neuform ops guide describes.  The prop is a bit course for both vibration and cruise. 

For those desperate to tweek your plane, why not go experimental and put a constant speed or in-air controllable pitch prop on...at least you will be playing the game with a real possibility of making a difference between cruise and climb in actual flight.

FD sets the prop like the Neuform ops guide describes.  The prop is a bit course for both vibration and cruise.

Please cite your source for this. What RPM does your airplane turn full throttle level flight?

I really think that setting the prop pitch to make the Rotax happy is more important than setting it coarse like Nueform suggest. I know for fact that many of the CTLS here in the states were delivered with the propellers removed and installed when the planes were re - assembled. Just so you know anytime the propeller is removed you need to check and likely adjust the pitch.

http://www.neuform-composites.de/_downloads/pdf/propellermanual.pdf

Neuform don't suggest or give the pitch for the installation....as they don't know where the prop goes.

They say

''The angle of incidence

For microlight aircraft, that are type registered, the angle of incidence as defined in the

registration must be adjusted.

The figure for the angle of incidence must be obtained from the microlight aircraft

manufacturer if necessary.''

Archived