2 Pilots 2 Many

gbigs

Flying with two pilots can be riskier unless pre-flight agreement on expectations is established.

Martha King writing in Flying Mag this week: What we learned was that the presence of a second pilot requires management from the PIC. First, whether you're flying a single-pilot airplane or a two-crew airplane, it's important to clearly establish who is the PIC. It isn't always obvious. The pilot with the most ratings or the highest time isn't necessarily the one current in the aircraft being flown — or covered by the insurance. But it's easy for the high-time pilot to assume he is the PIC. 

My wife and I are both CFII's with about the same amount of hours (4000+) and have never had any issues, in fact I feel we are a great team and are at lower risk especially when flying IFR.

Some people just go together really well. Others not so much. It is a pretty good point to establish PIC if you and the other person haven't done much flying together.

My daughter, who is an FO for a major carrier, flies with her husband Captain about once per year. Above board and allowed by company policy. Seems to work for them but for sure not everyone. I know that when she was going for here private we found out very quickly that it would not work well for me to be her instructor.

John -- Have you flown with daughter SINCE her ratings???  I understand; no way could I constructively instruct Rose during here training time. But we fly now very well as a team, and she is generally PIC. We do practice (I'm sure you remember your military training) flight deck protocol and confirm at the top of the flight deck brief/flight plan each division of duties and command change procedures....

I can see where conflict and serious problems will develop with undisciplined or trained persons at the controls...

John -- But isn't it a great feeling as the father?!.  My daughter retired as a Command Pilot, KC-10's and C-17's.  And yes, the aviation conversations have changed since they were learning to drive a car... But, back to the subject here, our training is still practiced in that we determine who will be AC commander and who will be mission commander along with any special conditions (event sequence pre-BRS consideration, etc) for the flight; even if just going for T/G practice.... I personally like some of the 'old habits'. If you need to 'second guess' the other person on your deck, you're both dead....

Lifting off in the AM to go see the family.  You and yours have a safe and enjoyable holiday season.

T&R

Archived