Coolant Drip

hbertoni

It is surprising how many mechanics will pry a hose off with a screwdriver.  Do yourself a favor and discuss this with your mechanic and make sure this is not the method he will use when the 5 year rubber change is done.  Better yet, buy the tool below and give this to your mechanic, if he doesn't have one.  This will save you chasing coolant leaks after the rubber change that have been caused by damage done to the aluminum tubes.

Corey, is this tool similar to what you saw Brett using at LEAF:

http://www.amazon.com/Tool-Aid-13860-Hose-Removal/dp/B002YKIZBA

It is surprising how many mechanics will pry a hose off with a screwdriver.  Do yourself a favor and discuss this with your mechanic and make sure this is not the method he will use when the 5 year rubber change is done.  Better yet, buy the tool below and give this to your mechanic, if he doesn't have one.  This will save you chasing coolant leaks after the rubber change that have been caused by damage done to the aluminum tubes.

Corey, is this tool similar to what you saw Brett using at LEAF:

http://www.amazon.com/Tool-Aid-13860-Hose-Removal/dp/B002YKIZBA

Yes that's similar. it doesn't have the little hump in it like Brett's.

Although I just now realized, I could use a phenolic scraper and cut a stepped seat in it so it fits around various fixtures for hoses....

• 3 weeks later...

Roger,

I have a VERY small drip at the 90* fitting going into the water pump. A drop or two is sometimes found on the nose wheel pant.

We'll be leaving from PA to FL for Sebring on Monday the 5th or Tuesday. Is it reason for concern?

It just started with the cold wx.

Thanks,

R

Thank you both for the replies.

I may be missing something?

The drip is right at the elbow that threads into the water pump.

If it was a drip from the seal, where would that show?

Will a leak from the seal drip down to make it look like it's coming from the threads on the elbow? 

I Just want to be sure before I leave.

The drip is right at the elbow that threads into the water pump.

Rich

You write ''the elbow''....but there are 4 that threads at the pump..Is the drip at the threads or at the hose end......OR ...it is the BIG elbow (inlet)that is BOLTED to the pump.

IF, the drip comes from the leakage bore,, you would see ( using a miror or boroscope) a stain around the leakage bore hole. I don't know on the Sting how difficult is to look there...here is a picture to help you locate it.

post-112-0-00462600-1420289138_thumb.jpg

Jacques,

Looking at the left side of the engine from the cockpit (cylnds 2&4). ULS 100HP 912.

The 90* metal elbow that treads into the bottom end of the water pump shows the drip. It's not coming from the hose where the hose attaches to the fitting but right at the treads where the fitting is screwed into the pump. There are no other drips or leaks visable.

I'm hoping that its just the contraction due to the cold wx. Right now it's just a small drip that shows when the plane sits for awhile. Nothing like a teaspoon, just a drop as when using an eyedropper.

I downloaded the test procedure that you sent. Thank you.

Archived