BRS Service Bulletin

Does not appear to affect the CTLSi.  The BRS handle lies on a console extension and does not dangle as shown in the figure.

1.1 Affected Aircraft Type:

CT Model: CTSW; CTSW-LSA; CT Supralight

Be careful when using pictures to judge, instead the applicability section should be the first stop. You're right, it doesn't affect the LSi, but FD has been known to use old illustrations and photos.

1.1 Affected Aircraft Type:

CT Model: CTSW; CTSW-LSA; CT Supralight

Be careful when using pictures to judge, instead the applicability section should be the first stop. You're right, it doesn't affect the LSi, but FD has been known to use old illustrations and photos.

It looks to me that the dangling handle is the problem.  The CTLSi has it's handle laying on the console.  It's a totally different design.

FlyRatz, does this handle get flexed or pushed sideways by occupants who might be oversize and sit on this or push it sideways when entering or getting out of the plane?  Seems like the bracket would need to be flexed a number of times in order for it to demonstrate the cracking or perhaps this bracket was damaged prior to installation into the plane?

Hi Dick,

I cannot say how often this bracked needs to be flexed before it breaks. In fact, the CT had nearly 2000 hrs of operation when I found the crack in the bracket. It needed only a very gentle touch to divide from the plane. It could be, that vibration can lead to the crack as well. Our particular CTSW is operated by around 30 pilots. No one of them has a body which requires the handle to bend to enter the plane. If it has been bent in the past, then it was not very often, I am sure.

Greetings and merry Xmas

Markus

I have a 2006 CTSW , 850hrs , with a partially cracked bracket. However, my bracket design doesn't match the bulletin, nor the parts

manual. It is circular, 3 mounting holes at 120 deg around. The tab for the handle is bent from the center and

attaches to the BRS cable.   I'm going to ask FDUSA it I should replace the round one with a new linear one.

I don't know which design the latest.

I'm probably guilty of flexing the handle downward as I enter the plane. In fact, I leave it bent down to prevent breakage.

Edit: add pictures.

Sorry about the focus on the rear pix, I'm holding the camera in a way I can't preview.

post-148-0-58897600-1419742325_thumb.jpg

post-148-0-01852800-1419742414_thumb.jpg

post-148-0-61042000-1419742431_thumb.jpg

Bill or Fred.  Can you post a picture of your BRS bracket and handle?  Just a simple shot as you might see it from the pilot's seat.  Don't need to see the crack but just want to see what bracket design you have.  I've got a 2006 but it has had a newer BRS system installed.  I'm wondering if my bracket has also been updated.  Seeing your picture should show me what an original handle/bracket looks like.

We replaced our 2006 SW bracket (cause it cracked) several years ago, and discovered that there is a NEW bracket. If I recall (not positive here) they (FD) sent a complete new cable set up...  The 'T' handle and pass through bracket are completely different... 

For what this is worth... 

I have a 2006 CTSW , 850hrs , with a partially cracked bracket. However, my bracket design doesn't match the bulletin, nor the parts

manual. It is circular, 3 mounting holes at 120 deg around. The tab for the handle is bent from the center and

attaches to the BRS cable.   I'm going to ask FDUSA it I should replace the round one with a new linear one.

I don't know which design the latest.

I'm probably guilty of flexing the handle downward as I enter the plane. In fact, I leave it bent down to prevent breakage.

Edit: add pictures.

Sorry about the focus on the rear pix, I'm holding the camera in a way I can't preview.

Your picture does match the bulletin.  Your handle is up high on the back wall.  The newer planes have the handle down low laying on the console which now extends all  the way to the back wall.

My photos look a lot like Bills.  Note that the photo from behind the bulkhead was shot with the camera angled downward (the wheel in the photo is the rudder trim wheel).  

Looks like a previous owner tried to epoxy the back of the chute handle assembly to the bracket from behind the bulkhead.

Fred

post-146-0-69493000-1419902798_thumb.jpg

post-146-0-37622700-1419902836_thumb.jpg

post-146-0-69171800-1419902859_thumb.jpg

Archived