Best place to buy a fresh battery

Jim

My aircraft came with a Powersafe SBS-8 that lasted a good 6 years. The Odyssey 310 that I replaced it with is two years old and already weak.  I've been told that they are both the same, so either they aren't, or the Odyssey was old ( I could never find a date code on it) or they aren't the same.

I know that sealed lead acid batteries definitely have a shelf life issue.  Where can I find a fresh one?  I'd be perfectly happy with the performance of the original Powersafe battery.

All lead acid batteries have shelf life issues due to sulfidation. You're looking for the Absorbed Glass Mat type of batteries.

If you use a battery maintenance charger, it will last a lot longer. These batteries should be stored fully charged and topped off to prevent sulfidation.

A few months ago I ordered an Odyssey 310 directly from the Odyssey web site and got a battery that had a manufacturing date 18 months earlier than the date of delivery.  It took a charge just fine, but I expected a fresher product. 

I would not recommend that site if you want a battery with a more recent manufacturing date. 

If you find a source of fresh batteries, please let us know!

A few months ago I ordered an Odyssey 310 directly from the Odyssey web site and got a battery that had a manufacturing date 18 months earlier than the date of delivery.  It took a charge just fine, but I expected a fresher product. 

I would not recommend that site if you want a battery with a more recent manufacturing date. 

If you find a source of fresh batteries, please let us know!

Fred, about 8 months ago, I ordered the Odyssey from Apex Battery.  But I did it via telephone.

As part of my order, I insisted on a recently manufactured, fresh battery.

I also used the discount code, provided by Tim, for a worthwhile discount (thanks Tim!).

New battery was shipped to me and had a date tag on it, indicating it was about a month old.

Since then, I have maintained the battery with an "Optimate 4" charger/maintainer.

So far, so good, always plenty of cranking power.

I also bought an "Optimate 6" for the cars and boat.

Optimate was recommended to me by my LSA mechanic.

If you use a battery maintenance charger, it will last a lot longer. These batteries should be stored fully charged and topped off to prevent sulfidation.

I had one last 5-6 years without ever hooking up a charger, so I'm guessing temperature, humidity, and use must have something to do with it.  Also, I tend to believe the glass panels  might contribute to a shorter life, compared to analog.

I had one last 4-5 years without ever hooking up a charger, so I'm guessing temperature, humidity, and use must have something to do with it.  Also, I tend to believe the glass panels  might contribute to a shorter life, compared to analog.

How often did you use it though? The worst thing on a lead acid battery is to let it sit discharged for a long period of time. I recommend the battery maintainer because most people that statement applies to on this forum are private owners.

about a 100 hours a year... every couple of weeks, sometimes 3 weeks between flights, but offset with a few flying adventures that were 12-15 hours.

(actually looked... it lasted almost 6 years! analog)

You don't need a maintainer if you fly that often. Just make sure the battery has a nice charge before you walk away.

FYI. My battery from Apex was more than 1 year old. FWIW. I spoke to both Apex and Odyssey and they assured me that the in service life of the battery would be unaffected.

It shouldn't be affected by much as long as it was in a charged state, but is still affected.

This is just about the only reason that i do like the old style batteries. They aren't affected until you put in acid.

Archived