i-pad as an EFB

sandpiper

Guest Justa Flyer

I've heard only good things about WingX... the problem with the iPad, I hear, is that the screen is all but unreadable in the sun...

Justa

My wife and I use Wing X and love it. I think it would be better on an Iphone with the moving map, we use it on a Windows mobile phone and it doesn't have the moving map the Iphone app has. Still I find it very easy to use and provides all the functions you need for all kinds of flying. You can download the full chart database and AFD for the US to your phone.

• 3 months later...

I have no trouble reading the iPad in my Sting S3 with a full canopy. Was up last Saturday with clear skies and a hot sun and the iPad was easily readable. I went with Foreflight HD and was very pleased with the performance. Tracked as accurately as the Garmin 496. Easy to lookup airport information, refer to weather charts, etc. I like that I can do all my preflight planning along with it being a full EFB (Sectionals, IFR enroutes, TACs, etc.). They can be downloaded and stored local. Full database is around 5G. No trouble with the GPS. Turned the iPad off in flight for 20 minutes, the brought it back up. Found the satellites in less than a minute. Annual subscription + software updates is $75.

I've been SO tempted to get an iPad for an EFB... but am holding off until I see the Android Tabs and the new iPad. As a desert-dweller, I've been afraid of the iPad's problems with overheating. The official specs state it cannot be operated with outside temps over 95, and shouldn't ever be subjected to temps over 113, even when off. Some pilots have reported the unit shutting down because of overheating. There is a class-action lawsuit over the issue.

BTW, the new iPad is rumored for Q1, supposedly a 7" screen, with changes that would overcome some of the original iPad's shortcomings.

In any case, these devices (including things like the iFly700) have to be the single most important aviation tech advancement since the GPS.

In the meantime, Foreflight HD is working its magic on an old iPhone 3G.

Tim

I've read of a couple heat-related shutdowns -- the iPad shuts itself off if it gets too hot. The couple I've heard of were using the nice case/folio which is really tight and doesn't allow any heat to dissapate. It was 95 last Saturday and mine worked fine.

I've heard of the 7" iPad potential but really like the 9.7 inch screen of the current iPad. Big enough to see what you need but small enough to fit on your knee. 7" would be OK as well. To each his own.

Love the Android -- my wife has Samsung Vibrant that is awesome. 4.3" screen is very useful. Android pad would add some competition but don't see how it would be better since it's the software that matters (IMHO). I'm sure Foreflight, WingX, etc will port to the Android pad but don't know what the advantage would be. Probably 20% cheaper.

• 2 weeks later...

I would be interested in hearing about additional experiences using the ipad in flight. I currently have Wingx on my iphone and am very pleased with it. Does Foreflight offer more, it does have a yearly subscription that Wingx does not have.

[Consolodating response from 'GPS' forum]

I keep the iPad on my knee or empty passenger seat. Will purchase http://www.tietco.com/id31.html when it comes to market in the next couple weeks. Right now I clip the edge of the case to a 'normal' kneeboard if I've got a passenger. Works OK.

WingX requires a $100/year subscription to stay current on charts with Foreflight being $75. Not a big difference. Feature/functionality is about the same. It will come down to matter of pilot preference. WingX will transfer your iPhone license to the iPad for free. Foreflight has a free 30 day trial so I'd load them both and take them for a couple test flights.

I already have a panel-mounted moving map (Garmin 496) so I don't really want to mount the iPad. I like it on my knee which allows me to change angles easily if in direct sunlight (which is still readable). I also have always put charts on my kneeboard so this feels right for the iPad (to me).

• 4 months later...

Apple has chopped $100 off the price of the old iPad with the release of the iPad 2. I personally don't care about the dual facing camera or the whopping loss of 0.2lbs on the iPad 2. Faster processor might be nice, but may not be worth $100. Foreflight HD has no performance issues on my current iPad (nor do any of my other apps).

Supplies are limited :D

Apple has chopped $100 off the price of the old iPad with the release of the iPad 2.

Or $150 off ($349 and free shipping) if you can be happy with a refurbished base model.

Probably ordering one tomorrow, then an iPad 2 maybe in August (birthday!), and the iPad will "trickle down" to Karen.

Keep in mind the the Wifi only model does not have a GPS.

But you can get an external GPS, microUSB, from Bad Elf for $99. The team at Foreflight prefer the accuracy and reliability of the external receiver.

I haven't had any issues, though.

• 3 weeks later...

OK... 'broke down and bought a *used* iPad, to be primarily in the plane as an Electronic Flight Bag/Book. While I really wanted to go Android, it was apparent that the momentum for aviation applications favors the iPad (at this time).

With the iPad 2 now released, there are some good bargains out there for used "old" iPads. I picked up a 64GB, 3G-enabled, unit for $450. You can also do well at the Apple store by buying "refurbed" units (with full warranties), or at AT&T, where they are selling the first generation units at below refurb prices. You must realize that 60% of the "used" iPads are probably less than 6 months old, and some have been hardly touched. You see a lot of "NIB" units on Ebay and Craigslist, apparently received as gifts or contests. Unless you are planning on buying the external GPS (plug-in or bluetooth), make sure you get a 3G-capable unit (with built-in GPS).

Both Foreflight and WingX are awesome tools. WingX just released a new version (5), that adds a bunch of new features - including the first-ever "free" real-time NEXRAD weather. Of course, you'll first need a $1k ADS-B receiver!

• 5 weeks later...

OK... 'broke down and bought a *used* iPad, to be primarily in the plane as an Electronic Flight Bag/Book. While I really wanted to go Android, it was apparent that the momentum for aviation applications favors the iPad (at this time).

With the iPad 2 now released, there are some good bargains out there for used "old" iPads. I picked up a 64GB, 3G-enabled, unit for $450. You can also do well at the Apple store by buying "refurbed" units (with full warranties), or at AT&T, where they are selling the first generation units at below refurb prices. You must realize that 60% of the "used" iPads are probably less than 6 months old, and some have been hardly touched. You see a lot of "NIB" units on Ebay and Craigslist, apparently received as gifts or contests. Unless you are planning on buying the external GPS (plug-in or bluetooth), make sure you get a 3G-capable unit (with built-in GPS).

Both Foreflight and WingX are awesome tools. WingX just released a new version (5), that adds a bunch of new features - including the first-ever "free" real-time NEXRAD weather. Of course, you'll first need a $1k ADS-B receiver!

I've been using the AvPad from http://www.picsupplies.com as my iPad kneeboard, and I love it so far. I've been using ForeFlight since it was first released and it works great. They will be adding capability for XM Weather to it later this spring. The fuel price map is great to help with planning longer cross country flights and finding cheaper fuel at other airports along your route. Even though I have a 3G version, I also use a GlobalNavSource.com Dual WAAS bluetooth GPS that I like better then the other two that Sporty's is selling. It works great and has a rubber mat that it fits in so it won't slide across the glareshield.

As for the cost of the units, remember that (for new devices) you pay $130 more for the 3G version. All of the external GPSs are around $100, so you can save a little bit by buying just the WiFi version of the iPad and an external GPS. Just be sure you don't have a *need* for 3G data.

• 2 months later...

iPad EFB news... 'just heard that WINGX will have a major announcement for AirVenture 2011, probably in a news release this weekend (7/23/2011). This announcement will definitely will be for the iPad... but they will be releasing a more feature-complete version for Android later this year.

I use both Foreflight and WingX.... and like features from both. Foreflight seems to be a more polished company, but WingX seems to have a leg up with technical innovations and coming up with new features, quicker.

Tim

The new version WingX Pro7 has been announced... and it includes Synthetic Vision. Release 6 (downloadable soon) includes synthetic vision for the price of an extra $99/yr. Adding a newly announced, optional, AHRS unit (attitude and heading reference system) makes it like real. Synthetic Vision depicts 3D terrain using its high-resolution terrain database, obstacles using a comprehensive obstacle database, and airport runways. Terrain and obstacles that are above or slightly below the airplane’s altitude are shaded red and yellow respectively.

The other new features in Release 6 have not been announced yet.

Press Release

SynViz in use

Tim

• 6 months later...

I'm a little late to this discussio, given that the the last post was about six months ago. Here's a different slant. Besides using the iPad as an EFB, I pose the question -- do we use the iPad as our primary GPS nav device?

I use my iPad for just about everything BUT my GPS nav device. I especially use it for flight planning and WX. The reason I don't my iPad as a GPS nav device is because I have a panel mounted Garmin 696 that gives me everything I need for NAVIGATNG. If i had to rely on a GPS with a smaller screen, then I would probably use my iPad for that.

My experience is the iPad GPS performs well in a low-wing aircraft, but in a high wing aircraft (read:CTLS), I think it is important to use a remote bluetooth GPS antenna such as this one from Sporty's: http://www.sportys.com/PilotShop/product/16597

logic says yes... but experience says no. 'Never had an iPad gps lock problem in my CTsw and haven't read of any high wings having problems. Sure, the BadElf or the bluetooth GPSs would be nice, and are a touch more accurate, but the battery problems and connection issues (elf) might over-ride the benefit.

I'm guessing there's plenty enough sky, even with the high-wing, for the GPS to work. My GPS (in the iPad), locks on while in the center of my house!

Tim

I would not use my iPad as my primary navigation device at this point. On rare occasions Foreflight (and other apps) have terminated unexpectedly. Only takes a few seconds to re-enter the app but I want higher stability for my primary. My 496 has been rock solid so iPad+Foreflight replaces my paper charts but is only a GPS backup.

I have yet to try my iPad with WingX7 on a long cross country.

I tried it on a short one and the screen brightness (lack thereof) could be a factor, esp. with the canopy on the Sky Arrow.

Plus, looking down in my lap is more distracting than looking at the 496 right in front of me.

What I think it will let me do is to carry outdated paper charts, as long as the database in my 496 is fairly current and I have sectionals on the iPad that are up to date. It also lets me not carry the rather large POH - I have a scanned copy in both my iPad and iPhone, and hard copies of the current W & B onboard.

For me, one of the beauties of Light Sport is the simplicity, and I think we risk losing some of that simplicity with too many doodads onboard. And the potential distraction factor is something to always be cognizant of.

Fast Eddie,

Interesting that you consider simplicity a positive attriibute of light sport. I stepped down from a charter job flying jets and my own Cessna T210 because I was tired of fighting the medical. I enjoy hopping around and agree that I fly the CTSW much for locally "for fun" than I did the 210, but I also want mine to serve when possible as a serious cross country machine. So, I like the AP, weather, etc. I'll admit I'd like to have two airplanes and if I did, one would definitely be a high wing, tail wheel (bush wheels) tandem LSA that would land about anywhere and had superb visibility and was a good camera platform.

I'd say Light Sport has room for many kinds of flying, some better than others, but something for many if not all of us.

Anyway, I use the 496 for weather and AP guidance and am leanring more and more about it now that I dont' have a better GPS. I sue the ForeFlight for the big picture, blown up views of air space and restrictions and I like to load airports along my route on favorites then check them frequently in flight if weather is an issue. It's possible on the 496 but I find FF easier.

On short flights I dont' use FF very much.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived