Garmin Radio Service Bulletin

Roger Lee

Hi All,

Here is a mandatory Garmin Service Bulletin for anyone that has an SL30, SL40, GNS 480.

This is time sensitive. You only have until Sept. 30, 2010 to get this done on their dime.

They will pay up to one hour for labor. It takes about 1 minute to remove the unit. You need only an allen wrench for the allen screw in the center of the radio and it slides out. You must get a "Return Authorization" number before sending it in. You may be covered if you have that number and send it in a few days late.

After Sept. 30th it's on your wallet to get it done. They won't pay labor and they will charge you a surcharge to do the work.

Act tomorrow. Call them. 1-800-525-6726 ext. 3991 Get'er done!

I know it wasn't well published and few new about it. This is the "C" revision so A&B don't count. I only found out today when someone came to my hanger to show me. No one at my field seemed to know about this.

Spurious definition: Lacking authenticity or validity in essence or origin; not genuine; false.

Mandatory Garmin Service Bulletin.pdf

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What a find... apparently Garmin doesn't want anyone to know about it... I've searched the web extensively and only found passing references to it on a few aviation forums. Nothing on the Garmin website. (tech support couldn't find it either, and said it was probably in an area only available to dealers)

Just how do they expect we'll find out about this if it's not on their website, and they FORBID any information about the bulletin to be disseminated?? Check out this wording, from the bulletin itself:

"no part of this document may be reproduced, copied, transmitted, disseminated,

downloaded or stored in any storage medium, for any purpose without the express prior written consent of Garmin."

Get your copy soon, as it looks like we'll be taking the bulletin down (unless we get "consent")

I've been on hold for over an hour this morning... after about a half an hour of endless, repeating messages, the phone is picked up and then goes "busy". No answer on the special number provided by Roger. (eventually answered- you must check the "mods" before they'll issue an RMA. You must have RMA before Sept 30, but can send it back later than that. The unit will be at Garmin 3-4 days. Perhaps a week turnaround with quick shipping)

FDUSA only just found out, too. They will be doing an Email blast ASAP.

Great work Garmin.

Tim

Interesting. I called the number which answered immediatly, went to the extension which was answered promptly by a real person who gave me a return authorization number. The person said if I brought it in the turnaround time would be 3 hours.

So, I lucked out since I live about 15 miles from Garmins Salem location where the unit needs to go.. I'll take it in first thing tomorrow and be flying again tomorrow afternoon.

I am having difficulty removing my SL30 from its sleeve. Turning the 3/32 hex screw a quarter or half turn seemed to do nothing to release the unit. As I continued to unscrew it the unit started backing out of the sleeve, but would not come free even as I hit a stop in the counterclockwise direction. I walked over to talk with my local A&P and he said a quarter turn should do it. After messing with it for a while with no success, I came back home and called Garmin. Got right through and the guy was helpful. Unfortunately, they cannot look up by serial number to see if a unit must be returned. You have to pull it and look at the label to see if your radio is covered by the service bulletin.

The Garmin guy suggested I remove the transponder (located immediately below the SL30 in my plane) first, then try removing the radio. He said is sounds like the cam is dropping down and catching on the transponder case and with the transponder removed, I should be able to see it and uncatch it with a flat blade screwdriver. I'll try again in the morning.

Just posting this in case any others have the same difficulty removing their radio.

UPDATE 9/23: Thanks to the pictures posted by Runtoeat, I had a better idea of what I was dealing with. This morning, I removed the transponder and could see where the cam was catching and was able to manipulate it with a thin screwdriver. Mine needs to be returned, too. Just waiting for west coast business hours so I can call for the RMA.

I ejected my SL30 out of my 2008 CTLS and saw Mods: W, AB, AC, AD.

I called Garmin at Roger's 1-800 number. Got thru right away to a helpful tech. (don't hit the pound # after the extension or phone hangs up!)

He looked up my serial number and confirmed mine needed to be serviced. Gave me a RMA number.

Tech said they are turning them around in 2-3 days, ship back via 3 day UPS.

He said it is some kind of television interference problem. But they will also test entire unit and give it a clean bill of health, so it's a great deal for free!

Many thanks to Roger for posting this info just in time!

'took mine out, too. Definitely NOT a quarter turn, unless it's barely seated. Mine was about three turns, and you could see it ease out a bit after each turn. Previously I had problems with radio and it turned out it was because it wasn't seated enough. The tech shaved some parts on the face-plate and the radio, and it dropped into place another 1/8th inch or so.

'Mods checked and mine's goin' back, too.

Tim

To remove the radio just use an allen wrench in the hole in the front of the radio. It will unscrew a ways and will eventually stop. Then grab the radio and pull it out of it's mounting sleeve.

Someone needs to give FAA a call and inform them of the underhanded practice of this mandatory bulletin. I can't believe a company like Garmin would be so underhanded.

If you do not have the mod: code AE on the back then yours needs the update.

That free exchange for a reconditioned radio is a sweet deal. They usually charge like $500 or so for that. When I thought there was something wrong with my radio they offered the exchange deal. You get a radio that's been thoroughly tested and tuned end-to-end. All switches and knobs are checked and replaced if necessary. All mods are installed... it's like a new radio.

In spite of Garmin's screw-up on this particular Service Bulletin (lack of notification), they are first-class, especially with their aviation stuff. I've always thought they were a bit overpriced, but healthy competition seems to take care of that.

Tim

(ps. got through on the 800 number quickly for my RMA... it's a west-coast #, with no answering machine, which explained why they didn't answer my previous calls - probably before they opened)

One last thing.... depending on who you talk to, you may be told that ONLY dealers can send these in. On one call, before I had my MODS information, they guy was all cheery and agreeable, and said the he'd issue the RMA in a blink after I had the MODS info. After I got the MODS info, the next guy insisted that they could only do the RMA through dealers. After I pointed out that a dealer who recently worked (?) on my radio did not know about the bulletin, he relented and agreed to do the RMA. According to him, the "trained dealer" will be careful to check and write down all of your settings, and make sure they are put back in after the repair. So, if you are going to do this yourself, you might go into the setup screens and make note of your settings.

Tim

I was also told I must go through a dealer in order to get the RMA. I'll look at the label for the mod level tomorrow,

and rapidly find a dealer. Even though I had the serial number, no RMA was issued. I guess I'm not as persuasive as others here.

My original dealer has gone out of business... and I programmed the settings myself.

I heard about this service bulletin from FDUSA. The Garmin tech. said the distribution was to dealers, who are to

inform owners. Registering with Garmin as I did would not cause them to communicate SB's directly.

Garmin would not give me the RMA, either. He said SL40's can be done by owners but SL30's must be requested by a Garmin dealer, allegedly because the units can be used in IFR certified aircraft. I explained the whole LSA, no-IFR business but got nowhere.

I sent my serial number and mods to the dealer who sold me the airplane and they are requesting the RMA for me.

Garmin wouldn't issue me an RMA for my SL40. Didn't ask what model, mod level or anything. Asked what type of aircraft it's from, and when I said a Flight Design, he said "you guys are coming out of the woodwork today. Then he referred me to a local dealer. Had to go so they could call and get the #. Oh well, it's now sent off.

Garmin did say the turn around time is now 3-4 days, not 2-3 that they were quoting before.

Same story here as Roger and others. Need a dealer to process. You can remove and reinstall after return to dealer. But must be dealer delivered, etc. (No walk in's, John. I tried that avenue) It was mentioned because they (dealer) have an account, etc. At the moment, 3 day turn-a- round....

(I got lucky, since next week is a MatCo redo, so down for a couple of days anyway)

Don't know about you folks, but I received an e-mail this AM from John Gilmore with the SB attached. Interesting!!??

The person I talked to at Garmin was Gary. After he couldn't find me in the database he took all my info and gave me the number. He clearly said 3 hour turn around and, since that surprised me, I verified it.

This morning (0830) I delivered it to Garmin in Salem in person. They said they would call me when ready for pick up. Well, since they haven't called, it's obvious the 3 hour thing was bogus. I will be surprised if I get the call before Monday buy that's OK. I'm gonna be unhappy if they ship it to a dealer but, I've been unhappy before. Not with Garmin, just in general. Maybe it was that time Tony blew past me like I was parked just after take off from Orland!

I have now talked to several people sending their units in. I seems there is one not so nice guy that answers the phone. There are 1-2 others. If you get the others then they don't care and you can just send it in. If you get the PITB guy then he will give you that story. After I heard a story from two of our members it sounds like it is more laziness than anything else. Try again and hope you get one of the other guys.

I know that this is a PITB for all Garmin SL30 and SL40 owners but I'm trying to look at the positive side of this. I was given the "you'll need a dealer to get the RMA" treatment when I called Garmin. After this, I called my avionics repair and gave them the story. They knew that I probably didn't get an RMA and said they'd take care of everything if I got the radio to them. I'm assuming that this is because Garmin is attempting to insure that their products are handled in a manner which insures quality repair. I have to say that my Garmin equipment - GPS, transponder and radio - are extremely reliable and seem to perform at optimum levels. Another "plus" in going thru my avionics guy is that it appears the shipping is covered by Garmin? My avionics guy indicates this would probably be the case.

There might be a "positive" here regarding "lessons learned". It doesn't appear that Garmin has a good procedure in place to notify customers of "mandatory" SB's. Perhaps a letter to the major LSA companies such as Remos, FD, Jabiru, Piper, Cessna, and a letter to all Garmin licensed repair facilities might have covered a majority of SL30 and 40 radios? Then, word of mouth from this might have alerted most other Garmin radion owners?. Lessons learned from this might be a method for notifying Garmin equipment owners of mandatory SB's is needed. How about asking LAMA to develop a method amongst it's members? Garmin is a member of LAMA. Perhaps a letter to Dan Johnson requesting some sort of action by his organization would be appropriate?

Archived