Loud Vibration and noise from wheels on takeoff

Sully209

I am a rookie owner of a CTLS that was due to fly it home to CA this weekend. However, in between a couple of training sessions a significant vibration occurred upon takeoff. The flight instructor went up with my son for a little training while I took a little break so I could return to focus on my landings in hopes of being signed off and then fly home. My son said the instructor landed the plane at the end of his lesson and the landing did not appear to be inline with the runway and there was significant alignment corrects made once they hit the ground. 

The instructor thought it was simple low air pressure which we promptly corrected and went out for another session only to have the takeoff aborted due to significant vibration and noise. We looked everything over as best we could then attempted again, took off only to return to the home airport. 

The instructors conclusion is that there is a blown sidewall on the main tire which I cannot see any evidence to that. 

I imposed on a local mechanic on New Years day who pulled the wheel pants, looked everything over and saw nothing. Later in the day I asked the seller to do a run-up and takeoff attempt with me and that ended with an aborted takeoff with what I felt was much more vibration than previous. 

The mechanic is due to look at it Monday and I am not too sure what, if anything, he might find this time around.

Any advice, opinions, suggestions or questions for the rookie on his first ever post ?

Thanks in advance guys

Hi Sully,

This post is lots of questions to be ask to help diagnose the vibration. Sounds like a front end is a little loose and the most common cause of this type of vibration. Please give me a call.

It sounds from your description that the vibration comes on landing and or taking off? I would recommend checking the front end. First grab the prop up close by the hub and lift the plane off the ground about 2" and let it back down firmly and see if the front suspension has any up and down play in it. It should be firm. If the front end does move up and down then the 6 red polyurethane spacers in the front end need replacement. Next have someone push down on the tail so the front wheel is off the ground about 1-2 inches. See if the front wheel has any side to side free play. If you have 1/4" or more then the front suspension pin needs to be replaced. This can be flown with these two issues to a mechanic.  The other vibration cause is the front tire and or mains need to be balanced. This can cause a lot of vibration when out of balance too far.

Where are you located right now and I may be able to steer you to a good CT mechanic?  

FWIW, when I have experienced substantial vibration on takeoff and landing, it has come from wear between the nose gear pin and the slot in which it slides (completely consistent with what Roger wrote, above).  

Wear of these components allows for free movement around the steering axis of the front gear.

Fred

2006 CTsw 

Gents

Thanks for the replies. 

First off my fellow Irishman is correct I am thinking something happened on that landing as all changed after that. The Irish can communicate so simple can we not ? Mom is from Dingle Bay and Dad from Cahersiveen.

Roger I will give you a call this afternoon. I very much appreciate the offer.

I did not check the brake as described however the mechanic did jake up the wheel and it appeared to have a good roll to it. But i do not think he applied brakes several times to see if this had any impact.

The vibration continues strong after the nose wheel has been lifted from the ground, however I did not test as has been suggested here today.

Aircraft is located in KABQ area and I am now home at KVIS area.

Thanks for the help folks .... keep those thoughts coming 

Hi Sully!

If this has the gold rims (marc ingegno), then are the caliper pins lubricated? They tend to wear a rut in the pins, and it might not be because of the landing.

I have the Marcs and had a brake dragging. Found this:

16163673696_3f8209494e.jpg

Corroded to the point they were binding. Wire brush took care of that.

Monthly I clean them with brake cleaner and dab a tiny bit of disc brake lube on them as a preventive measure.

I have the Marcs and had a brake dragging. Found this:

16163673696_3f8209494e.jpg

Corroded to the point they were binding. Wire brush took care of that.

Monthly I clean them with brake cleaner and dab a tiny bit of disc brake lube on them as a preventive measure.

Our planes never sat long enough. Still, hangars are wet wet places. I swear sometimes it is wetter inside than it is on the ramp. Some of my unused tools are pretty rusty...

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Gents and sorry for the delay in following up on my part.

I received a call yesterday that a couple of high speed taxi efforts have confirmed that new wheels did the trick. 

I guess that CFI did himself one REALLY hard landing in my new CTLS. 

I will head east sometime this coming week to fetch her and begin the California chapter in her life.

Thanks again folks

Archived