Unfortunate accident at Light Sport Expo, Sebring, FL

FastEddieB

Karen and I are at the Light Sport Expo in Sebring.

A short time ago I witnessed what I think must have been a fatal accident.

Some kind of seaplane-looking thing was maneuvering at low altitude and stalled and spun in.

16106592280_20e61494f7.jpg

No other details at details this time.

• 1 month later...

Pure speculation, but...

...there were reports of the plane nearly or totally nosing over in the runup area and the tail slamming down really hard. Hard enough that at least one pilot expressed surprise that the pilot did not get out to investigate.

The was another report of either half the elevator or half of the horizontal stabilizer "fluttering" on a flyby, and that this was observed by the Air Boss who may have attempted to alert the pilot.

Anyway, too early to tell, but this may be something other than a typical stall/spin - though that is sure what it looked like to me.

Where ya been, GK?  You have not posted in a while!

Hey Andy! How's life?

Mostly been working on my car. Flying here and there (working around the weather, getting up there once a month-ish to stay somewhat sharp). Haven't been plane shopping as I don't have a hanger built (just been too cold here in CO to work on that).

Not to derail a serious thread... 

Been playing with what they call ignition cut launch control. Cuts spark, instead of fuel, pulls back the timing and basically the mixture is lit off in the exhaust system. Spools large turbos quickly to launch. The car makes about 530hp to the wheels, and should run mid 11's or better. Lot's of fun, lots of work.... really it's just a huge PITA to be honest. And yea the exhaust comes out of the bumper, I built some pretty custom stuff, including a muffler from scratch to make that happen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wm6Z72LuT1U

• 2 weeks later...

Here's my car.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/89611087/webCAN2P5PT.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/89611087/Mustang927%20-%20Large.m4v

I ran a quickest 1/4 mile of 9.158 @ 148.49.  Fastest 1/4 speed was a 9.284 @ 150.55.  It made 800 rwhp at the tires through a C4 tranny.  That's about 1000 hp at the crank.  It was a built 2 valve, 281 Cobra aluminium block, stroked to 302 with a Kenne Bell 2.8 twin screw blower and 100 shot. 

That is moving!!. I tuned a friends f1r (at the time, turbo'd now) 383 lt1 camaro on a FAST system.. went low 9's at 150ish so I know what that feels like, it's actually violent/ridiculous/makes my 128-130mph trap cars feel broken.... LOL!

Thing really gets out.. wow- what's it 60ft?

Is this the best place for this discussion?

I keep clicking on it wondering if there's any more information about the fatal accident.

I didn't intend to derail this thread, so I apologize for that. But at the same, it's not like there is even a discussion taking place at the moment...I noticed you posted a couple times about your bike in that 30-40 deg landing thread so I figured we could fill in the down time while waiting for more news with some more gear head type talk... I guess at least we are keeping this thread bumped up which may catch someone's attention with some relevant info?

Don't think I agree with that reasoning. Your discussion either belongs in Random Thoughts, via Facebook, or text message. IMO

Well I don't think I understand why it's acceptable in one topic, to get off topic, but not in another?

I don't know why anything had to be said.. now we will waste more time/posts bickering about nothing than if we just had the car discussion, and moved on. I'm sure when someone had some relevant information pertaining to the original topic, we would have been right back on track.

So I'll do my part. Sorry for the derail, didn't think it was going to cause any drama or I promise I wouldn't have bothered. I'm out of this one.

• 3 weeks later...

Is this the best place for this discussion?

I keep clicking on it wondering if there's any more information about the fatal accident.

Ed ... I haven't heard any more on the accident. A friend of mine and I had been working closely with Dennis

and Jason on an Aventura he had bought from the facotry. We'd both flown with Dennis in the crash aircraft.

I found him to be a good pilot ... maintained adequate airspeed at all times and attitudes when I flew with him.

His control of the airplane never seemed questionable. I'd heard the points about tail "flutter" from another

friend who was there and about the tail slamming down. Apparently they had trouble starting it. My friend

has since sold the Aventura and gotten a CTSW. I'd still like to know more about the accident since we

knew those involved.

RT

Thanks, Roger.

We often are in and around Lake Placid - we have a friend at Kings Port with a Mooney.

Will try to touch base next time we're down there.

Also appreciate any new info on this accident. Hopefully there will be a lesson to learn from it.

Thanks, Roger.

We often are in and around Lake Placid - we have a friend at Kings Port with a Mooney.

Will try to touch base next time we're down there.

Also appreciate any new info on this accident. Hopefully there will be a lesson to learn from it.

I'm just to the northwest of Kings Port at Placid Lakes Airport.

Archived