Rotax carb spring bracket failures

Howardnmn

How many hours on the engine?

This can happen, but is pretty rare. Causes of this are from vibration which can come from poor and infrequent carb syncs, poor gearbox maint., poor maint. and upkeep on rubber engine mounts. Looking at how dirty the carbs are  might make me wonder on the total engine upkeep?

This took a long time to happen so why wasn't it caught during an inspection or an owner look around while the cowl was off during an oil change? Looking in the drips trays for fuel should be done every time the cowl is off and this is right up front.

There are plastic inserts, but you can see in the picture it ate right through them. The inserts help metal to metal wear which would have been faster, but it still go through the plastic. The best defense is to make sure you do the regular maint. that helps prevent vibration issues and anytime the cowl is off teach yourself some of the look and see areas. 

In 15 years I haven't seen one like this eaten through. I have seen some worn, but nothing close to this one.

If you had stiff cable system like a Vernier then you might not even notice in flight. If you had one like a CT then you would most likely get some really rough running. If you were caught out away from home you could land and temporarily safety wire the spring back to the bottom of the bracket. Fly home then just replace the spring and bracket.

I remember talking about a failure like this in my Rotax training at Lockwood. That is not something that is going to happen in 100 hours, a year of flying, or within the 200 hour removal of the carburetors for inspection. In my opinion this comes from someone flying an airplane that has not been properly inspected or maintained.

If you've ever wondered what type of thing you should be looking for during your "cowling off" inspections, this is it.  You don't have to be a A&P or Rotax-certified mechanic to catch this.

It would be nice if we could develop a list of "things to look at or look for" during a cowling-off inspection.

It would be nice if we could develop a list of "things to look at or look for" during a cowling-off inspection.

Roger will hate me for this, but . . . it would be super nice if he would produce an extended video of a detailed walk-around inspection, which includes his favorite things he likes to check for.

Him and a few other guys here have the experience and keen eyes to uncover things which go undetected by the casual operator, myself included.

What say you Roger?

" nice if he would produce an extended video"

" and keen eyes to uncover things'.

I'm blind, I'm blind.

Will see what I can do.

There is something new coming. Last year I talked to Rotax and said no one could do a good annual because the classes don't teach that. They said that was what the Serivice class was for. I told them they spend two days in a classroom and 1 hour on a live engine. Everyone said they couldn't do an annual after that class. I re-wrote the Service class for Rotax last year and they liked it. I have been invited to take an instructors course this April and after that I will be able to teach and certify people in the Service class and we will target doing an annual on a live engine. Only 2-3 hours of classroom and the rest of the 2 days working on a live engine and completing an annual. It will be a all hands on class. CPS will be on board at the same time and can teach this class. It will be all new. The other new item is I wrote a mobile instructor setup so instead of everyone going to one place the instructor can go to them. This is rare and I'm glad they approved it.

Now let's hope everything stays on schedule. This was supposed to have happened last summer until the 912is sport upgrade killed everyone's time.

Archived