Dynon just released SkyView 12.0

WmInce

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had a new CTLSi come through here last week being delivered to CA. and it had 11.1

Roger,  we cannot do the update until FD USA notifies we customers and they place it on the FD USA website for loading.  The new CTLSi may have the new Dynon Skyview Touch which is apparently loaded with a newer Dynon software. 

To date, FD USA is saying the new update is expected to come out around Feb 1.

I know, but there are some using 12 without any issues. FD keeps saying next month and for me that started last Aug.

Roger,  FD has made it clear that the Skyviews are not to be changed without their okay. Dynon also says there is no going back once the ROMs are changed with new versions.  And FD says they will void warranty if this is violated.  Its not trivial. 

No one should do anything to their Skyview without the express direction from FD and the presence of the software they approve on the FD USA website.  Downloading a major new version from Dynon is also a mistake.  Incremental updates are okay.

I know the drill.  And am just as frustrated as anyone regarding how FD has lagged so far behind Dynon.  And is slow in general.  Older planes out of warranty may be able to risk it, but I have had a lot of warranty work done and can say from personal experience, if there is any question regarding warranty from EITHER Rotax or FD an owner will be quickly left to fend for themselves if they challenge either company on their rules.

Hi,

It is correct that I've been told that by Feb. 1 the release of ver. 11.1 will be out for updating the existing fleet.

It is correct that newer planes being delivered do have ver. 11.1 and such would not suffer any conflicts from prior versions.

It is NOT correct that FD GmbH will void your warranty.  It is a matter of being in compliance with the rules laid out for LSA.

As you know Tom here at FD USA has always "had your back" with ANY warranty issue even when it was clearly not covered when he felt it wasn't a direct cause by a customer, most of whom wouldn't ask because of a underlining "personal responsibility" 

FD USA & FD GmbH has, and will always support it's customer base.  Please disregard any comments made to the contrary.

All you have to do is call,

For Tom P., Matt F., Natasha and myself,

Dave

Good Lord!

Don't say that one of this site's contributors is posting incorrect information - whatever next?

I gave no misinformation.  FD has been clear about remaining on V 6.2.  I was told in the past that violating the software version on the Dynon's would be considered a warranty issue and possibly disable the full functioning of the units.

Note Armando admonishes any action by a customer outside direction of the company would NOT be backed by FD USA. 

Armando was asked yesterday in an email:

Our belief is that until the link is provided on your website under the service bulletin, Dynon update section, we are not supposed to just go to the Dynon website and download the latest version. Can you confirm that?

Hi,

Yes, correct.  Until it's posted on FD GmbH it's not approved for the existing fleet.

Sincerely,

Dave Armando

I heard the Air Force will shoot you down if you have an incorrect Skyview version on any LSA. The NSA monitors all Dynon updates and datalinks that information direct to NORAD. You have been warned.

:ph34r:

Don't be absurd, and don't joke about this sort of thing.

I am still having trouble coping with the unimaginable human tragedy of those not having either this or that new feature. Or the indignity of getting it later than everyone else.

Oh the huge manatee!

Don't be absurd, and don't joke about this sort of thing.

I am still having trouble coping with the unimaginable human tragedy of those not having either this or that new feature. Or the indignity of getting it later than everyone else.

Oh the huge manatee!

How does your airplane even stay in the air with just the D10 with no GPS-coupled synthetic vision?!?

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe this round of delays is due to FD trying to validate v12.0? Pretty useful feature available via Wi-Fi finally announced today. Many had seen the Wi-Fi Adapter note in the boot messages of v12.0-equipped displays. Now we know.

http://blog.foreflight.com

http://preflight.dynonavionics.com/2015/02/dynon-avionics-and-foreflight-connect.html

Maybe this round of delays is due to FD trying to validate v12.0? Pretty useful feature available via Wi-Fi finally announced today. Many had seen the Wi-Fi Adapter note in the boot messages of v12.0-equipped displays. Now we know.

http://blog.foreflight.com

http://preflight.dynonavionics.com/2015/02/dynon-avionics-and-foreflight-connect.html

For those of us with the Garmin 796 and the Skyviews this feature is of little value.  The flight planning in the Dynon is crude, clumsy and button-inflicted manual.  Flight plans are entered into the Garmin fairly easily and stored there for future use and mod.  The Skyivew autopilot flys the flight plan as entered in the Garmin.

Having the Garmin 796 also negates the need for foreflight or any other tablet based EFB.

For those of us with the Garmin 796 and the Skyviews this feature is of little value.  

As I am one of those people, I concur. I categorize the update as nifty vs. useful given the avionics redundancy built-into the latest generation CT. I flight plan with ForeFlight though so perhaps in time perhaps there will be a use.

Is the Garmin 796 a device you can remove and take home to do your flight planning and entry, etc.? The G300 in the SkyCatcher has a data card, but I have no idea how you would enter data into it other than sit in the plane and enter it manually.

Yes, the 796 is a portable (part of Garmin's aera series) but FD's panel design makes it slightly cumbersome to remove the unit (4 screws as I recall). I ran an USB extension cord so I can update the data without removal so it's been a while since I've removed it.

Yes, the 796 is a portable (part of Garmin's aera series) but FD's panel design makes it slightly cumbersome to remove the unit (4 screws as I recall). I ran an USB extension cord so I can update the data without removal so it's been a while since I've removed it.

I tried to use an SD extension to get around the access problem but could not get it to work. I contacted Garmin but they weren't interested and just said that such an extension is not supported.

So, I'm very interested to know just how you got it to work?

Mine is in an AirGizmo mount so it is easy to remove.

Yes, you can remove the 795/6 and do flight planning.  Additionally, you could use the online flight planner on fly.garmin.com, save the flight plan to an SD card and plug into the 795/6.  The tablet version of the Garmin software syncs to the website as well so you could update an SD in this manner (from the tablet).

No direct way to wireless update the flight plan from an external device though and Team X wasn't interested in adding a feature to do so.

Based on that, it sounds like the easiest way would be to do your flight planning on your computer using the on-line Garmin flight planner and save it to an SD card and then plug the SD card into your 796.  From there, would you have to save it to the 796 internal memory or can the 796 read data directly from an SD card?

Exactly so, but FD in their infinite wisdom designing the way the 796 fits managed to cover up the SD slot!

Hence trying an SD extension lead, but with no success

You should have a single hex-head large screw just to the right of the 796 to turn and remove the unit...was your unit installed by the factory?  The screw is turned half to the right which is a release.  The unit can be pry'd out at the small slot on the right side toward the top (i have a small flathead screwdriver) and the single brass plug-in chord removed easily. 

Once home, you can update the unit using the USB cable (or set it in the cradle that came with the unit).  You can also add/replace flight plans at that time you have the unit out if you use an SD card (the SD card slot can only be accessed with the unit out). Any tool that makes the flight plan file format Garmin .FPL file (iFlilghtPlanner can do this).  Use the FlightPlan menu to copy the file on the 796 itself.

But manual entry of the flight plan is not difficult either. 

(note. the real fix is for Garmin to allow flight plan updates from the USB interface...then bringing that interface to the panel would be simple).

You should have a single hex-head large screw just to the right of the 796 to turn and remove the unit...was your unit installed by the factory?  The screw is turned half to the right which is a release.  The unit can be pry'd out at the small slot on the right side toward the top (i have a small flathead screwdriver) and the single brass plug-in chord removed easily. 

I have that screw and see the plastic "flipper" piece it turns inside the panel but it gets nowhere near the release of the 796 carrier assembly. Mine is a late 2012 carbureted model with electric trim (one of the last built before the fuel injected models) so maybe it's been changed to work correctly since then.  As I mentioned, I found the correct angled adapter to extend the mini-USB connector so I never need to remove the unit.

I have that screw and see the plastic "flipper" piece it turns inside the panel but it gets nowhere near the release of the 796 carrier assembly. Mine is a late 2012 carbureted model with electric trim (one of the last built before the fuel injected models) so maybe it's been changed to work correctly since then.  As I mentioned, I found the correct angled adapter to extend the mini-USB connector so I never need to remove the unit.

Only the handheld comes out, not the whole carrying device inside (the release tab inserts into the slot on the side of the unit itself).  Until someone can demonstrate how to do it, it won't seem intuitive how to remove it.  It requires a small flat headed screwdriver to pry the unit forward a bit then then it drops out. 

Since you bring a laptop to your unit and apparently have created access to the USB you are golden for the primary updating needed.  I got the SD card thing to work, but have not used it since figuring it out.   Entering flight plans manually are easy.  And modifying existing ones also easy.

Archived