Removing main wheel

AuntPeggy

Fast Eddie, the nut is the choice of Marc Inegro, and not just a nut that Flight Design chose to use. It is supplied by Marc along with the tool to remove the nut.

Well, they must have at least two versions, or 3i provided their own nut/cotter key for the Sky Arrow axle.

Hi Tom,

"Roger, all of the CTLS aircraft that I delivered with the Marc Inegro brakes had the tool with the airplane."

That may have been later on, but not for a while and then in Jan. 2009 Matco's were on all of them.

"Roger, I wouldn't use a punch and needle nose pliers to remove the nut, because in my opinion that would be contrary to CFR 43.13."

In many cases within our little LSA industry you have to work with what you have and no one here owner or mechanic is 100% all the time. There is some little thing we all do or have done  that the FAA may not be fond of, but for me if it gets the job done thinking out of the box then that works at times. If we didn't do small little things like the way this nut gets removed many owners and mechanics would be dead in the water for months or even years because too many of the MFG's haven't covered all their bases until we find that oops in their product.

I have tools I have MFG'ed for the CT that makes life much easier and quicker. I'm sure FAA might like some and tilt their head at others.

There is the clause in the FAR's from FAA that says use the proper tool. Who is to say what the proper tool is or where it came from.

Tom,

Do you own a tool that is not store bought?

Yes, you have to answer.  :) 

Do you even know of a mechanic that has never adapted a tool or made a tool if he has been in business for a while?

I still think the best tool for this is a socket that has been notched with a Dremel tool. $100-$170 verses $5. Same tool. One store bought the other hand made, but the same tool.

What about the double flat sided nut on some Marcs? What tool for that one.

I just took a socket again and welded two 1/8" square flat stock pins on each side that fits the two flat sides of the nut.

You have to think like a Marine or MacGyver :

Adapt, Overcome and persevere. 

Hi Tom,

"Roger, all of the CTLS aircraft that I delivered with the Marc Inegro brakes had the tool with the airplane."

That may have been later on, but not for a while and then in Jan. 2009 Matco's were on all of them.

"Roger, I wouldn't use a punch and needle nose pliers to remove the nut, because in my opinion that would be contrary to CFR 43.13."

In many cases within our little LSA industry you have to work with what you have and no one here owner or mechanic is 100% all the time. There is some little thing we all do or have done  that the FAA may not be fond of, but for me if it gets the job done thinking out of the box then that works at times. If we didn't do small little things like the way this nut gets removed many owners and mechanics would be dead in the water for months or even years because too many of the MFG's haven't covered all their bases until we find that oops in their product.

I have tools I have MFG'ed for the CT that makes life much easier and quicker. I'm sure FAA might like some and tilt their head at others.

There is the clause in the FAR's from FAA that says use the proper tool. Who is to say what the proper tool is or where it came from.

Tom,

Do you own a tool that is not store bought?

Yes, you have to answer.  :) 

Do you even know of a mechanic that has never adapted a tool or made a tool if he has been in business for a while?

I still think the best tool for this is a socket that has been notched with a Dremel tool. $100-$170 verses $5. Same tool. One store bought the other hand made, but the same tool.

What about the double flat sided nut on some Marcs? What tool for that one.

I just took a socket again and welded two 1/8" square flat stock pins on each side that fits the two flat sides of the nut.

You have to think like a Marine or MacGyver :

Adapt, Overcome and persevere.

Roger, no need to get bent out of shape.

Every CTLS that I have worked on with the Marc brakes had the tool. This is from one of the first 3 distributor CTLS's in the US to mine which I got in 2009. I also think that if you are going to be a mechanic working on airplanes and they need a special tool you should get it. Making the tool is not a problem, but that was not what we were talking about. We are talking about using a punch and needle nose pliers to remove a nut that requires a special tool.

As for the CTSW it is a bolt, not a nut that holds the wheel on. I use a crows foot and extension right out of my tool box to remove it.

Hi Tom,

Sorry if you took my post as any thing, but cordial. I never get bent out of shape. The one huge reason I really dislike written post over actual voice. It can get taken 180 degrees out of context.  I just like discussion and ideas being tossed around. We're good as far as I'm concerned.

Just a stop gap quick help tool. For long term I would use a regular notched tool, but for a one time stop gap measure this works and you'd be hard pressed to know the difference.

"using a punch and needle nose pliers to remove a nut that requires a special tool"

The LS had castle type nut, but many SW's had a 2 sided flat nut like the one in this picture. This isn't the exact one, but shows the 2 sided flat axle nut style. They came on 05-06 and possibly 07 SW's

The picture is small and it got to blurry to blow it up, but here is the link and it is the first one on this page.

http://www.marc-ingegno.it/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=148&category_id=8&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=53〈=en

I have thrown over 40 sets of Marc brakes sets away. I would throw that many away again. They are terrible.

post-3-0-39903800-1422221486.jpg

Roger, the nut in your picture is to hold the axle to the gearleg, and the screw and washer is what holds the wheel on. All of the CTSW that I have seen used a bolt like this. One side screws into the end of the axle and the wheel pant standoff screws onto the other side.

post-40-0-83253800-1422222811_thumb.jpg

Roger, the nut in your picture is to hold the axle to the gearleg, and the screw and washer is what holds the wheel on. All of the CTSW that I have seen used a bolt like this. One side screws into the end of the axle and the wheel pant standoff screws onto the other side.

attachicon.gifbolt.jpg

That's what was on my 2007 CTSW before I switched to Matco wheels.  IIRC the flats are 17mm or 19mm.

• 2 weeks later...

Philip, I nominate you for the "Good Neighbor of the Year" award!

I have one of the tools I have no use for since I had Matco wheels installed. Give me a mailing address and I will send it to you.

Philip prwelsch@gmail.com

The tool arrived.  Thanks so much.  However, the day it arrived, Hubby was in hospital for emergency surgery, so I didn't have the mental space to think about the airplane for about a week.  Nevertheless, we went out to the hangar yesterday to see about the tire.  Since Hubby cannot do any "heavy lifting" I was the "wrench wench" and we removed the tire with tube.

To my surprise, the leak is a small, completely round puncture in the side of the tube.  It really looks as though it was pierced with a sewing needle.  We examined the tire and cannot find any entry wound or weapon.  It is a mystery.  Anyway the tubes and tires also arrived at the same time as the tool, so we will be replacing (at a very slow rate) with those.  Hubby did not order heavy duty tubes.

Thanks to all for your help.

I want to say that I apparently pulled a "Brian Williams".

Remember when I said the Marcs on my Sky Arrow used conventional hex nuts?

Well, I went to check my tire pressures today...

16271281258_d584c74640_c.jpg

So I stand corrected. Still, no special tool required, just something to grab those flats.

I'm still pretty sure I was shot down in a helicopter though!

Archived