Possible Trim Tab Flutter at 135kt

Andy,

I know this is a bit late...

...but I do have two back pack parachutes in my hangar.

They have not been used or repacked or inspected in many decades. But if anyone wants to use one or both, with or without repacking/inspection on their dime, they're more than welcome.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Andy,

I know this is a bit late...

...but I do have two back pack parachutes in my hangar.

They have not been used or repacked or inspected in many decades. But if anyone wants to use one or both, with or without repacking/inspection on their dime, they're more than welcome.

Eddie, thanks!  If the CT didn't have the BRS, I would have definitely sought a parachute to use for the first flight or two after putting the plane back in service.  :)

Eddie: natural or synthetic?

They will probably need a lot of work anyways, but natual fiber might as well just go in the trash :P

Not sure.

They were bought for use in my Citabrias for aerobatic instruction. Probably last repack and inspection around 1996.

This may prompt me to seek out a rigger to inspect and repack both, at least once.

If nothing else, they might bring something on eBay, especially with a fresh inspection.

We got the stabilator back on the airplane yesterday.  While the plane was down we also did the annual, so both the stab re-install and annual were signed off by the A&P.  The airplane should be done with scheduled maintenance in a few days, once I change the oil (which is due in 8 hours) and change tires (again...my airplane is still eating tires quickly, that will have to get addressed at some point).

Once I fly it around the pattern again to remember how to fly (it's been six weeks!), I'll slowly start edging up to higher speeds and report my findings. 

How did you take the measurement for the stab and trim adjustment.  I re-installed my stabilator.  The maintenance manual (page 4-83) says take measurement and provide some kind of model but I do not see any indication as to what the measure should be.  I know that my new trim is not right because even in the lower position it is above the horizontal stab.  Any suggestion ?

How did you take the measurement for the stab and trim adjustment.  I re-installed my stabilator.  The maintenance manual (page 4-83) says take measurement and provide some kind of model but I do not see any indication as to what the measure should be.  I know that my new trim is not right because even in the lower position it is above the horizontal stab.  Any suggestion ?

We took a careful account of the position of everything when disassembling, and then put everything back together in exactly the same way.  The main pivot bearing is especially important, it's offset and if you put it back in differently, your stab could be off in any of the three axes.  Once it was back together we just verified limits as Jacques said per the MM.

• 9 months later...

All the time. Came new that way.

On my plane (860LS) the wheel pants were rubbing against the legs and have, over the years, created small grooves and marks.  I have removed the original bolus tape (which was overlaid with what looks like black electrical tape) and i'm ready to put new tape on.  Will the bolus tape be enough or do I need something thicker and more durable?

• 3 years later...

Sorry to rehash this post, But it seems this is affecting more than just 1 aircraft.

Took this video today. 

The flutter starts around the 35 sec mark and  becomes the most prominent at around the 42 sec mark and is done after I slow back down at the 53 sec mark.

This is a shallow dive at full throttle with onset around 125 KIAS and the worst at 130 KIAS. I have had it happen before at 117 KIAS. So it is not consistent, I believe it has something to do with loading and density altitude for when it happens.

FlyingMonkeys CTSW is Serial Number 7-06-14

Mine is 7-08-19

I guess I will be calling FD Monday.....

All this is pretty scary stuff, but a question... I'm a senior citizen who's been flying a long time, the last 10 years in a CTLS. I usually flight plan for 116 knots, rarely exceed it, the fastest I've ever been in those ten years was 130 knots with a VERY strong tail wind. If you have no desire to break boundaries, or go through mountain wave effect, do I need to worry about stabilator flutter in our CT?