Low Cost ADS/B solutions

CT4ME

uAvionix has an impressive and inexpensive in/out solution at $1399. Sadly it doesn't solve my problem of getting weather/traffic to my 696 (nothing does). This unit is focused on outputting to most any EFIS. It also broadcasts wifi to your EFB (Android or IOS), however the Aera 796 is a Bluetooth device, so no luck there either. I guess its back to the 795/GTX 345 solution. But the cost makes my eyes water.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The GDL 39 or 39R looks to be the ticket for ADS-B in, thanks for that tip. And for 'out' , the Echo/SkyFYX combo looks like the cost winner, with the Garmin GTX335 WAAS coming in second. uAvionix is a little vague how the Echo function works. I'm assuming its a broadcast version of the 'Transmon' system that Navworx uses to hear the mode C (ID, squawk, Alt,etc) from the legacy transponder, glue on the additional ADS-B data and transmit that out the UAT antenna. Do I have that right?

Garmin must have some idea of the value or the GDL 39R as an 'in' solution for the 696, because they raised the price $200 for the identical remote mount device. I think I'm seeing some people simply using the portable one in a semi permanent mounting. I love Garmin...

The Freeflight RANGR specified in the FD solution is $3945 with integrated WAAS GPS, which you will need unless you have a TSO'd GPS like a 430W in your airplane.  To me that is too much...for $5400 you can get a Garmin GTX345 that gives you all the same features, replaces your transponder (less weight), plus it will send traffic and weather to portables or wirelessly to mobile devices.  Also it's made by Garmin, who will likely be around with support in five years...will Freeflight?  Who knows.  And you can recoup some of the additional cost by selling your old transponder.  Yes, it will be more expensive, but sometimes you do get what you pay for.

Just my opinion, worth exactly what you paid for it. :D

Sportflyer1, pretty much all of the ADS-B manufacturers (Navworks, SkyGuard, uAvionix, Garmin, etc), have the ability to wirelessly receive the squawk codes emitted from most of the legacy transponders and transmit this code "out" on the UAT frequency. 

My understanding was that the Navworx, et al used my old transponder in the 'remote' mode as a control head, and got their info via RS-232 from the transponders that support it. If you have an old mode C with no RS-232 output, then in Navorx case they picked it off the antenna coax with the 'Transmon' RF detector. That would be similar to the Echo that apparently is receiving it (1090), digitizing it and rebroadcasting it (978). So I guess it all works out either way.

I guess this gets down to what FD will allow me to do. Is there a list of LOA's on this out there?

Tom, I filled out a Flight Design MRA form and applied for approval to install my ADS-B.  This approved MRA was required in order that my ADS-B "meets the performance requirements of TSO-154-c" and is approved by the FAA for Light Sport application for 2020.  I recommend that you call FD and talk to Arian to see if there might be an MRA which involves installation of ADS-B equipment which matches your equipment.  If none exist, Arian should be able to advise you on filling out a unique MRA for your situation.                                             

Tom, I love Garmin too.  FWIW, I'll throw some of my thoughts for those who are considering installing ADS-B.  Because I have a 495 and was not able to do much with this for ADS-B.  Consequently, I went with the iFly 740 GPS (Adventure Pilot) and installed the SkyGuard ADS-B TWX transceiver.  The iFly 740 uses the same Air Gizmo panel dock as the Garmin 696/796, has screen quality equal to (better?) than the Garmin and runs TruTrak autopilot.  The SkyGuard has 978 &1090 "in" and 978 "out" .  I opted for AHARS option and also am able to connect the SkyGuard to 2 other Android or IOS devices.  The total package, iFly + SkyGuard, cost $2,600.  I still have my 495 to run the autopilot and for redundant navigation with the iFly.  The price of the equipment is a part of the cost.  Installation of my equipment required just a few hours by a licensed mechanic.  Installation of anything Garmin requires a licensed repair station and this can get expensive.  There are other systems like mine coming online that are getting smarter/smaller/cheaper.  Garmin is one of the best equipment makers but also one of the most expensive.  I also must say whenever I need help, there are no long waits on the phone to speak to tech service.  The big question that Andy brings up is will SkyGuard and Adventure Pilot be in business in years to come.  I placed a bet that they will be. Time will tell.

Dick,

Let us know when we get to the point where there will be no more price drops and no more new offerings.  I never venture into ADSB coverage these days and my EIFIS / AP system is from a company BK for 5 years now.  

I don't know how long my EFIS will last, might last as long as the plane?

Confused and waiting,

Confused and waiting (AKA, ED), I've run out of tea leaves and the boat to China that delivers my supply is getting slower by the day.  But fear not, I have an old 8 ball that tells me  fortunes and an answer to your ADS-B question will materialize shortly........well, maybe it will.......eventually.

28 minutes ago, Runtoeat said:

Confused and waiting (AKA, ED), I've run out of tea leaves and the boat to China that delivers my supply is getting slower by the day.  But fear not, I have an old 8 ball that tells me  fortunes and an answer to your ADS-B question will materialize shortly........well, maybe it will.......eventually.

Cute, I used that wording to be clear on what I wanted to know and why. I should have included a disclaimer that I understand you lack gypsy blood.

The big picture on ADSB is confusing and I have made no real attempt to understand the options but like sands through the hourglass so are the days of non-compliance.  

I'm assuming that my cheap way out is to display traffic on my tablet with Garmin Pilot with a cheap transceiver and maybe upgrade the xponder.

Ed, my wife does have some Gypsy blood even though her Hungarian father and part Hungarian and part Bohemian mother deny this and will do so to their dying breath.  I would like to think I may have acquired some of her Gypsy blood by osmosis.  I'm thinking you're good with your current system and don't need to change your xponder, if it's one of the common legacy ones, if you pick up one of the new low cost "out" units.  These monitor squawk code and pressure altitude from the xponder and send this back out on UAT freq. and also provide non-certified WAAS position which is now acceptable to the FAA (experimental and Light Sport).  When installed "permanently" and accompanied by a claim from the manufacturer that it has demonstrated to the FAA the unit "meets the performance requirements of TSO-154-C", my understanding based on my experience with my installation indicates this should satisfy 2020.  The guys making the drone ADS-B units, like uAvionics, etc., are, or will soon be, offering extremely small "out" units for a few hundred dollars that meet the FAA performance requirements.  I consider you as one who knows all things electronic so my apology if I'm rattling on with things you already know.

Yes, it appears to be software selectable at setup. If selected, it will put out a random ID for the aircraft if the squawk is set to 1200. If not VFR, or if a flight plan is filed (!),  it puts out real ID. If you're not confused enough, go to their website and read the installation/user manual under 'support'.  Cheers!

They also make a 1090 unit if you want to leave the country: https://www.uavionix.com/products/echoesx/

Throw in a WASS GPS integrated into it own antenna: http://www.uavionix.com/products/skyfyx/

And a transponder face plate (which they have announced but are not yet offering) and you have a complete, low cost, easy to install system in 3 tiny packages.

Mike Koerner

10 hours ago, Mike Koerner said:

They also make a 1090 unit if you want to leave the country: https://www.uavionix.com/products/echoesx/

Throw in a WASS GPS integrated into it own antenna: http://www.uavionix.com/products/skyfyx/

And a transponder face plate (which they have announced but are not yet offering) and you have a complete, low cost, easy to install system in 3 tiny packages.

This stuff is getting better and better. Love it . . . as long as it works.

Archived