Harrison Ford Crashes

gbigs

Watching the CNN video an hour or two after and as the helicopter image panned and zoomed out to show the proximity to RWY 03... I think every pilot watching suspected immediately what had happened. And listening to the replay of the tower communications (which I sheepishly admit I heard on TMZ.com) seemed to confirm it. Impossible turn. Given the recent communication on this topic on this very forum and based on the the little I know or can guess from what I've seen... I think Mr. Ford did a fantastic job minimizing. 

Watching the CNN video an hour or two after and as the helicopter image panned and zoomed out to show the proximity to RWY 03... I think every pilot watching suspected immediately what had happened. And listening to the replay of the tower communications (which I sheepishly admit I heard on TMZ.com) seemed to confirm it. Impossible turn. Given the recent communication on this topic on this very forum and based on the the little I know or can guess from what I've seen... I think Mr. Ford did a fantastic job minimizing. 

Yes.  It appears he tried an impossible turn.  Watching the video he was pretty flat on base and after he went for the runway he was too low and went for the golf course after realizing he was not gonna make the runway.  He didn't kill anyone on the ground and survived.  He did clip a tree and drove the fixed gear into the soft fairway and the prop and nose dug in...all and all a good outcome by a good pilot.

Sad to watch some commentators who are alleged experts take shots at GA and antique planes.  And sad to watch people presume flying is unsafe in general just based on one accident.

Archived