Shortest commercial Airpot, Saba, Netherland Antilles

Rich

Good evening,

I thought some would be interested in seeing this runway up close.

Attached a pictures from this afternoon showing the 1200' runway at the airport on Saba.

The shots are of the approach end of runway 12. Winds are usually down the runway at 15-20 kts.

A special license is needed to land here and a pilot needs to make one landing per month to stay current or loose the license to land at the airport.

The "X" on the threshold means It's closed to aircraft without the special issue license.

Twin Otters are the plane of choice here and they usually make the first and only turn off. I've only seen a few pass that point that needed to turn around due to less favorable winds. Sharp drop off on both ends.

The pix of the cliff is looking at the rreciprical.post-1004-0-80877000-1425609718_thumb.jpgpost-1004-0-42546100-1425609742_thumb.jpgpost-1004-0-29741900-1425609797_thumb.jpgpost-1004-0-25322700-1425609898_thumb.jpgpost-1004-0-20486900-1425611073_thumb.jpg

Would anyone venture an explanation as to why the threshold of 12 is displaced?

There's no obstacle to clear on the approach and with such a short runway.....

Good question.

Technically, that's not marked as a true displaced threshold. In fact, it does not appear to be conventionally marked at all.

Normally, a displaced threshold is shown by arrows, and can be used for taxi and takeoff.

And chevrons would indicate it's unusable even for taxi, as an overrun/blast area, IIRC.

That single "X" is problematical. I can see how it might even mean what it usually means - closed runway.

But you bring up a valid point, and it's good food for thought!

The only explanation I can think of is the downdraft at the approach end of Rnwy 12. The runway is up hill going north west (Rnwy 30) so the winds spill off the approach to Rnwy 12. The displacement, although not standard, offers a margin of safety. The "X" area is used for taxi and takeoff.

There was an accident here many years ago where a piper cherokee got caught in a downdraft and came up short. It flew into the cliff and jagged rocks on the approach end of 12 and stuck there like a dart. Fire rescue lifted the occupants to safety. The plane was destroyed.  Hence, the special license to land here.

There has never been a commercial accident at the airport.

With the wind down the runway, there is likely to be a strong downdraft at the approach end of the runway.  Try to land at the approach end overrun, and the downdraft might just slam you into the cliff.  Perhaps that is why the threshold is displaced?

I wonder if the X just means "don't land here", meaning that it's an overrun area and not part of the runway.  Not standard marking, but I think any pilot seeing that would think "I should not land where that X is"...if he didn't immediately fly away thinking the runway closed.  ;)

I wonder if the X just means "don't land here", meaning that it's an overrun area and not part of the runway.  Not standard marking, but I think any pilot seeing that would think "I should not land where that X is"...if he didn't immediately fly away thinking the runway closed.   ;)

Hi Andy,

I just spoke to the airport operator to confirm the "X" factor. The X means that the airport is closed to any pilot who has not received the special permit from the Civil Aeronautical Authority. It has no other meaning.

Hi Andy,

I just spoke to the airport operator to confirm the "X" factor. The X means that the airport is closed to any pilot who has not received the special permit from the Civil Aeronautical Authority. It has no other meaning.

Aha!

Sometimes if one is pedantic enough, one turns out to be (sort of) right!

That single "X" is problematical. I can see how it might even mean what it usually means - closed runway.

But this can be a teachable moment all around: I had never heard of a runway marked with an "X" being "conditionally" closed.

Good to know.

There's also different kinds of airports in the mix - here in the UK we have licensed and unlicensed airports.  

The licensed versions are subject to a very fat book of rules, whereas the unlicensed are subject to 'recommendations' only; effectively, you are on your own both in terms of what you can do and the liabilities involved.  And you can have any markings you want.

We also have a third category of runway that comes under the '28 day rule'.  Effectively you can build and operate an airport anywhere in the UK without any permission being granted - as long as you operate it for 28 days or less in any one year.    That's astonishing when you think about it......

Archived