Recurring maintenance items

AZAV8OR

I use LogBookPro to track both my flying as well as aircraft maintenance. Having finally gotten rid of my Cirrus, I'm now loading info on my CT. Here's the question:

What recurring maintenance items should be tracked for the CT? I can start:

1) Transponder - 2 years

2) BRS repack - 6 years

3) Rotax rubber ?5years?

4) ??

Thanks in advance for the assist!

:D

I use LogBookPro to track both my flying as well as aircraft maintenance. Having finally gotten rid of my Cirrus, I'm now loading info on my CT. Here's the question:

What recurring maintenance items should be tracked for the CT? I can start:

1) Transponder - 2 years

2) BRS repack - 6 years

3) Rotax rubber ?5years?

4) ??

Thanks in advance for the assist!

:D

The annual, yes which also includes a BRS inspection.  The oil changes are every 25 hours if burning Avgas, 50 hours if burning Mogas.  If renting it out, you have 100 hour inspections too.  BRS rocket replacement 12 years.

Rotax 5 year rubber replacement covers all fuel, oil and coolant lines. It covers any V-belt, carburetor diaphragm and carburetor rubber intake sockets and any other air intake rubber hose or tubing

You may find the Maintenance and Inspection manual handy:  http://documents.flightdesignusa.com/CTLS%20MM%20rev.4.pdf

I have a maintenance board showing like below

CHECK                                        DONE          NEXT

------------------------------------------------------------------- 

OIL, FILTER, PLUG 50HRS -       000HRS       000HRS

ANNUAL INSPECTION -               00/00/00      00/00/00

TRANSPONDER 2YRS -              00/00/00      00/00/00

WING SEPARATION 2 YRS -       00/00/00      00/00/00

ENGINE RUBBER 5YRS -            00/00/00      00/00/00

BRS REPACK 6YRS -                   00/00/00      00/00/00

ELT BATTERY 7YRS -                 00/00/00      00/00/00

GEAR BOX 1200HRS -                000HRS       0000HRS

ODYSSEY PC310 BATTERY -     00/00/00

BRAKES CHANGED -                  000HRS

PITOT STATIC CHECK -              IFR ONLY

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Whenever I leave out of town, I take a picture and carry it with me.

Also, I have electric copy of all logbooks with me at all times.

I have a maintenance board showing like below

CHECK                                        DONE          NEXT

------------------------------------------------------------------- 

OIL, FILTER, PLUG 50HRS -       000HRS       000HRS

ANNUAL INSPECTION -               00/00/00      00/00/00

TRANSPONDER 2YRS -              00/00/00      00/00/00

WING SEPARATION 2 YRS -       00/00/00      00/00/00

ENGINE RUBBER 5YRS -            00/00/00      00/00/00

BRS REPACK 6YRS-                   00/00/00      00/00/00

ELT BATTERY 7YRS -                00/00/00      00/00/00

GEAR BOX 1200HRS -                000HRS       0000HRS

BRAKES CHANGED -                  000HRS

PITOT STATIC CHECK -              IFR ONLY

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Whenever I leave out of town, I take a picture and carry it with me.

Also, I have electric copy of all logbooks with me at all times.

Brakes are checked each preflight.  Brake pads replaced as indicated (as often as annually for some).  Pitot tubes are inspected each preflight.   ELT inspected annually, replaced and/or recharged if in use for an hour, or if 50% of life has passed.

There are major maintenance intervals like the gearbox, prop, and the entire engine TBO of 2000 hrs.

Are you burning Mogas exclusively?  If not, you must change your oil & filter every 25 hours.

Here is another handly link from Flight Design West:  http://flightdesignwest.com/?page_id=154

Brakes are checked each preflight.  Brake pads replaced as indicated (as often as annually for some).  Pitot tubes are inspected each preflight.   ELT inspected annually, replaced and/or recharged if in use for an hour, or if 50% of life has passed.

There are major maintenance intervals like the gearbox, prop, and the entire engine TBO of 2000 hrs.

Are you burning Mogas exclusively?  If not, you must change your oil & filter every 25 hours.

Here is another handly link from Flight Design West:  http://flightdesignwest.com/?page_id=154

I do burn Mogas exclusively (91+ Octane) and the Maintenance board is there for the remainder reasons.

Of course, small things are checked upon each pre-flight, so no need to mention on the maintenance board.

Two things need to be changed is ELT 7YRS...it's annually..so I will change that and (I checked, yes it is 7 years)

Odyssey Battery changed date has been added.  On the side note, I have changed my routine to check battery if we didn't fly for a few weeks...

Can I just use battery charger right?  Odyssey is used for motorcycle, ATV and so forth so regular charger would work isn't it?

?

He is saying;

91 Octane or higher premium gasoline is better for Rotax than 100LL AVEGAS.

100LL has high led content and it is ok, but it is better for us to use regular gasoline.

When I have no choice but to use 100LL, then I use Decline additives.

Prop?

Coolant?

Tires?

Carb?

CO detector?

Battery?

I check props, coolant, tires during pre-flight check..but I did not list Battery, CO detector, Carb, so I need to do so...

But as for carb, what do we need to monitor?  Carb sync, rebuild...I check trays all the time for leaks...

Then, carb sync is typically done when we change oil & filter every other times or when our maintenance mechanic think when it's time to do so.

He is saying;

91 Octane or higher premium gasoline is better for Rotax than 100LL AVEGAS.

100LL has high led content and it is ok, but it is better for us to use regular gasoline.

When I have no choice but to use 100LL, then I use Decline additives.

He said

1. Mogas use (exclusively): oil change due at 25 hrs.

2. Mogas use: oil change is due at 50 hrs.

Here's my "tickle board", albeit from a few years back (click on image for more detail):

16189253014_cc4f85e0d8_z.jpg

It's been updated - my Sky Arrow does not have de-ice fluid, for instance, and my CFI and medical were both allowed to lapse.

Setting one of these up is a huge step in the right direction, but one needs to be vigilant in its use - it's still easy to let things slide.

He said

1. Mogas use (exclusively): oil change due at 25 hrs.

2. Mogas use: oil change is due at 50 hrs.

Just to be clear so others who are new to this issue may get the information correctly:

Here is what I said:  "Are you burning Mogas exclusively?  If not, you must change your oil & filter every 25 hours."

If you use Mogas EXCLUSIVELY you are allowed to delay an oil change for 50 hours or a little more.  If you use ANY or exclusively Avgas then you must change it each 25 hours.

He says he uses Mogas and when he does put in Avgas he uses decalin.  So he is safe to delay his oil change to 50 hours given he has scavenged any lead and avoided it entirely with the Mogas.

Another advantage to using Mogas exclusively is the ability to go to a FULL synthetic oil, like  Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W40.  This oil controls temperature better than the semi-synthetic Shell Aero 4 product.  For those of us in hotter climates, it reduces the climb temperature a bit, and reduces overall temperature during cruise a bit. 

www.flyunleaded.com   

Also, you can carry 6-ish hours of fuel so if you go less than 3 hrs away, you have enough to get back. Winds etc notwithstanding.

True.  You can also carry a little decalin in case you need emergency 100LL.  I have a small glass baby bottle with about 4 ounces of decalin. So far after over a year of cross country flights  I have not had to use any.

So, you're 100 percent mogas until/unless you need to use avgas.

Decalin Runup is a TCP based chemical that scavenges lead from 100LL. Once applied, 100LL is now 96, no lead.  http://decalinchemicals.com/products/decalin-runup-fuel-additive/

The lead in 100LL is an anti-knock and octane booster.  The ethanol in 91E10 is an octane booster.  Anti knock is handled with other chemicals like MTBE in unleaded gas.  Though the Rotax 912iS and especially with the Sport Upgrade the fuel efficiency is extreme...4 gph at 85%. 

The FDCT has a 32 gallon tank giving over 6 hours of fuel.  Long trips may still require overnight stays and thus new fuel.  One way to keep the engine free of lead when forced to use 100LL is to use Decalin Runup.

Thus, the longer oil change interval and the absence of lead in the engine is maintained.

What ever happened to all the folks that always give me a hard time and say "don't fix it if it ain't broke". ;)  I thought for sure they would chime in.

If you think like that why even have a list.

Just wait until it breaks.  :)

I know of no one who proposes that one should wait for something to break before fixing it. Is that what you think maintaining on condition means? If so, you are badly mistaken. If you know better, then I'd urge you to phrase your point in a different way, lest you be seen as just being snarky, which we assume is not your intent. The manner of your expression implies you might not be objective about maintenance, and we hope all mechanics are objective and rational.

"The manner of your expression implies you might not be objective about maintenance, and we hope all mechanics are objective and rational."

"I know of no one who proposes that one should wait for something to break before fixing it." " If so, you are badly mistaken."        I don't think so.

Sure there are people like this. Articles have been written about it. People really do this and I hope they stay away from me.  I have talked to these people and been ask to work on their planes (that won't happen). I see this a lot more on the experimental side. I have refused to work on some planes they are so bad.

You are right, I'm not objective because I believe in maint. not excuses to dodge scheduled maint. that cost them a couple of bucks.  

It's the don't fix it til it breaks group that's closed minded on maint.

That's their entire defense when it come to putting out any money for routine maint. because it ain't broke yet.

Don't fix it if it ain't broke is a foolish statement coming from any pilot who is supposed to be educated enough to know the importance of routine and scheduled maint. Heaven forbid any of these guys ever flies a helicopter if they think that way. It's all about timed parts, lots of maint. and money.

It's the open mouth and insert foot group. It's just an easy way to wiggle out from spending money. You can replace money and planes, but not the people you injure or kill.

I like snarky with these types because you can't reason with them. 

Like the saying goes, I embrace solutions not excuses.

Roger, I figured you were having a bad day and cut you some slack when you made your first comment. Personally I think you post was un-warranted considering the way the thread was running. Making a list for recurring maintenance items has nothing to do with (if it ain't broke don't fix it mentality). Many of the items that go the list are regulatory items and don't allow for letting it go till it breaks type thinking.

Archived