Left Fuel Tank Issue

Bobby CAU

The CT needs more rudder changes related to power changes than any small low powered airplane I have flown. It takes quite a bit of right rudder for take off and climb. It takes quite a bit of left rudder when you reduce the power. I have seen the nose swing right up to 20° when power was reduced without applying rudder.

As for Jim's statement on leading with ailerons and then more rudder, I think it depends on what you are doing in flight. With power off in the pattern it is very much a lead with rudder plane, because if you move the stick first the nose will swing the opposite way. It has a bunch of adverse yaw when slow with flaps extended. I tell students a quiet stick on final makes for a happy airplane, because most can't keep up with rudder if the are using to much aileron.

I agree. Once you've flown a CTSW awhile, it becomes natural to add left/right rudder with significant power changes, especially at lower speed. For normal turns I usually lead with rudder slightly or add rudder at the same time as aileron. As you said, more needed with lower speed and more flaps.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The CTSW is quite short coupled and rudder dominant.  The CTLS is a stretched SW and exhibits less yaw, adverse and otherwise.

I have quite a bit of time in both CTSW and CTLS. For Burgers I even have some time in a CTLSi. I would say that adverse yaw is very similar between the two, just slightly dampened in the LS. The longer fuselage and stiffer rudder spring on the LS does make it easier to apply rudder when needed without creating a pilot induced rudder oscillation.

Archived